Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Yz85 hesitation when dropping the clutch/ clutch noise

Recommended Posts

I have an 09 yz85 im about to pass down to my brother in a few months. I got the motor rebuilt and got all new transmission bearings. About a week ago the snap ring that holds the kick starter gear in fell out. we took the clutch off and put everything back. we tightened the clutch springs snug then 1/4 turn. but now whenever I drop the clutch it hesitates. The way I shift is I don't let off the gas  I pull in the clutch and shift. Whenever I go to shift and I drop the clutch while still giving it gas it hesitates before it starts accelerating again. Also when I rev high (only under load not in neutral) at about 10k RPM I hear a nasty metal on metal noise. I think maybe the snap ring came back out and is binding/ grinding on the clutch. Also if I try to wheely it won't pull (clutch wheelies) it just drops rpm and then starts to accelerate. Any ideas on what it could be

 

Thanks,

Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is not right. Who built the engine, reputable builder? 

Need to open it up and find the grind. Hesitation can be carb related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Hunter743 said:

I have an 09 yz85 im about to pass down to my brother in a few months. I got the motor rebuilt and got all new transmission bearings. About a week ago the snap ring that holds the kick starter gear in fell out. we took the clutch off and put everything back. we tightened the clutch springs snug then 1/4 turn. but now whenever I drop the clutch it hesitates. The way I shift is I don't let off the gas  I pull in the clutch and shift. Whenever I go to shift and I drop the clutch while still giving it gas it hesitates before it starts accelerating again. Also when I rev high (only under load not in neutral) at about 10k RPM I hear a nasty metal on metal noise. I think maybe the snap ring came back out and is binding/ grinding on the clutch. Also if I try to wheely it won't pull (clutch wheelies) it just drops rpm and then starts to accelerate. Any ideas on what it could be

 

Thanks,

Hunter

Time to drain the trans fluid and open it back up and have a look. If you keep running it like that your gonna continue to cause damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FPMXer said:

Time to drain the trans fluid and open it back up and have a look. If you keep running it like that your gonna continue to cause damage.

I quit riding it as soon as i heard the noise. Im going to open it back up but what should I look for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Something is not right. Who built the engine, reputable builder? 

Need to open it up and find the grind. Hesitation can be carb related.

Okay I'll look at the carb, And the mechanic at my local shop built it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...