Sign in to follow this  

11-28-18: Foresthill OHV trails closed for wet weather

heard from the Ranger today: They have closed the trail system due to the good rains we are getting.   He did say if by chance in mid-December it dries out again, they can re-open the trails  for a while, until the formal Jan 1- March 31st hard seasonal closure period per Travel Management ROD

Edited by bigbob

Good. That cuts down on the crowds and quads. Trail 6 in the snow is awesome

• Like 1

Have been spending my time in the sand the last several years.  When did this ROD go into play and does it cover any other NorCal riding areas ?     1/1 thru 3/31.  WOW!

7 minutes ago, topgunrk said:

Have been spending my time in the sand the last several years.  When did this ROD go into play and does it cover any other NorCal riding areas ?     1/1 thru 3/31.  WOW!

the USFS OHV trail systems winter seasonal closures EIS process started up in 2008-2010 as I recall. oldedude was very involved, so was all the OHV community, basically about 2011-2012 I think it was the rules came down for full winter season closures at USFS OHV areas.    I do not know about the coastal  mountains areas like Cow and Stony and MC, but for sure Foresthill and Elkins flats/gold note OHV trails now get full wet season closures.

GT does not because it's under older rules. and only gets short duration closures till it dries again for 48 hrs.   The GT east side will get closed for snow though

good news is Prairie City SRVA is open year round!!   Yipppeee  :ride:

Edited by bigbob

19 minutes ago, bigbob said:

good news is Prairie City SRVA is open year round!!   Yipppeee  :ride:

Yea, except for Red Stickers ? which are locked out from May through the end of Sept.

I really don't understand the seasonal closures. During the typical closure periods, do we get more rain than the PNW? I mean they don't close trails up there do they? And it seems like it's always wet in the PNW.

2 minutes ago, cosmoKenney said:

Yea, except for Red Stickers ? which are locked out from May through the end of Sept.

I really don't understand the seasonal closures. During the typical closure periods, do we get more rain than the PNW? I mean they don't close trails up there do they? And it seems like it's always wet in the PNW.

I rode Cle Elum and they told me that the season was really short there, 

Foresthill is open for snowmobiles in the winter, my dirtbike identifies as a snowmobile pronoun.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NORCALRIDE said:

Foresthill is open for snowmobiles in the winter, my dirtbike identifies as a snowmobile pronoun.

there is a snowmobiles only trail sign right at china wall

LGBTQ-IMG_7015.JPGSNWBIKE
  • Like 2

wow Think about it:  Foresthill went from dust to closed in 2 weeks.   We got only one fall weekend of wet good dirt this year. FALL 2018 is the worse season ever

9 hours ago, bigbob said:

wow Think about it:  Foresthill went from dust to closed in 2 weeks.   We got only one fall weekend of wet good dirt this year. FALL 2018 is the worse season ever

This! I don't get it. So the full seasonal close Jan-March will occur even if there is no rain for example? Like you said, we had dust trails up until 2 weeks ago, now its closed till mid December? I don't get it. Those trails can dry up within a couple days of rain can't they?

So what are our other options now? I saw the note about GT being under older rules so won't have as bad of a shut down period. What about pipi? Those are all the trail systems on this side of the foothills I usually go to. Now that Mendocino got hammered due to the fires this year, our riding options has really gone to shit. 

Edited by yzhooligan

It not as bad as it was in the early years of seasonal closures that lasted till May and last year being a dry year the Rangers opened the trails early in mid March

There is ranger talk that maybe they can do short duration closures at FH like they do at GT. And the FH rangers are building great new trails as they take old trails out of use . All in All it’s better now than in the early years of the full season closures. Be glad about that

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 8:58 AM, ERIO said:

Good. That cuts down on the crowds and quads. Trail 6 in the snow is awesome

wait so still OK to ride? Or do I need a snowmobile now? My bike has a plate.

Did not realize last week was my last ride there for awhile!

Edited by JN89

@JN89    Riderplanet-usa is a good resource: https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_07571/ride_0f37.htm
Call 530-367-2224 for updates - Website says temporarily closed on account of rain. Open dates says April 1st to Dec 31st. Are there many gates there? I used to ride up in the Tahoe Forest a lot until the snow gets too deep.

Edited by Sly_One

Yesterday we went up to the Christmas tree farm right before the Sugar Pine turn off and there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground.  Made for very nice Christmas tree hunting.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, cobra46 said:

Yesterday we went up to the Christmas tree farm right before the Sugar Pine turn off and there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground.  Made for very nice Christmas tree hunting.

Sick! Is it OK to ride over there? ?

Edited by JN89
  • Haha 1