Sign in to follow this  

Its been a while, but I'm a DRZ owner again! I do have some questions though...

Hi all,

I'm back to owning a DRZ again, this time a 2000 E model.  I owned a 2001 E a few years ago, but had to sell for personal reasons.  This bike has a dual sport conversion, but is otherwise stock.  Overall it's in great condition, thus I'm really happy with it.  I would like to freshen up the plastics and also get a new seat cover.  

I would like to ask a few questions:

1.  What are the differences in the fairings on the E vs the S?  I ask because I was looking into graphics kits and I can't find any for the E, but can for the S.  Has anyone added any graphics to their E?  

2.  If  the answer to number 1 is NO, or not available, looks like I can get a decent plastics kit for around $100.  Any thoughts here?  I really hate to buy plastics since mine aren't cracked at all.  Also, new plastics likely won't match the tank.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=281128749098&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_-g0s733gIVM__jBx3H0QoFEAQYASABEgIfj_D_BwE&key=Acerbis-Plastic-Kit&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3301756372&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=AHP001I-X019-Y050&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger

3.  Any seat cover recommendations?  Was looking at this one.

https://www.motosport.com/factory-effex-allgrip-seat-cover?variant[FXX00BH]=FXX00BH-X001-Y065

4.  I plan to ride some on the street (about 20% of the time) , any recommendations on tires?

5.  Also considering some street riding, any recommendations on an economical helmet?  Like I said, it's been about 8 years since I owned a bike.

Attached are a few pics of the bike as it sits.

Thanks!

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

Edited by chagan02

3 hours ago, chagan02 said:

Hi all,

I'm back to owning a DRZ again, this time a 2000 E model.  I owned a 2001 E a few years ago, but had to sell for personal reasons.  This bike has a dual sport conversion, but is otherwise stock.  Overall it's in great condition, thus I'm really happy with it.  I would like to freshen up the plastics and also get a new seat cover.  

I would like to ask a few questions:

1.  What are the differences in the fairings on the E vs the S?  I ask because I was looking into graphics kits and I can't find any for the E, but can for the S.  Has anyone added any graphics to their E?  

2.  If  the answer to number 1 is NO, or not available, looks like I can get a decent plastics kit for around $100.  Any thoughts here?  I really hate to buy plastics since mine aren't cracked at all.  Also, new plastics likely won't match the tank.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=281128749098&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_-g0s733gIVM__jBx3H0QoFEAQYASABEgIfj_D_BwE&key=Acerbis-Plastic-Kit&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3301756372&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=AHP001I-X019-Y050&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger

3.  Any seat cover recommendations?  Was looking at this one.

https://www.motosport.com/factory-effex-allgrip-seat-cover?variant[FXX00BH]=FXX00BH-X001-Y065

4.  I plan to ride some on the street (about 20% of the time) , any recommendations on tires?

5.  Also considering some street riding, any recommendations on an economical helmet?  Like I said, it's been about 8 years since I owned a bike.

Attached are a few pics of the bike as it sits.

Thanks!

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

1.  No difference.

2.  See #1.

3.  Seat Concepts

4.  Because I am a dirt biased rider, I prefer tires that work great in the dirt while being acceptable on the street, and I don't care if they're DOT or not, nor do I care if they only get me 500 miles, or even less if they are the bomb off road. Right now I have a Kenda Washougal on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front of my dirt wheels. They have worked great for me here in the southwest.  Next, I'm going to mount a Kenda Equilibrium trials type tire on the rear (I'll stick with the Scorpion Pro up front).  Most people recommend Dunlop D606 tires, but not me. There are much better tires out there than those, especially the front. I hated that tire.

5.  I have several helmets depending on the riding I plan on doing, but for an economical helmet that can be used all the time I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bell MX-9 Adventure. I paid $99 for mine (it was a color nobody wanted it seems) and would buy another in a heartbeat.

1.  No difference.
2.  See #1.
3.  Seat Concepts
4.  Because I am a dirt biased rider, I prefer tires that work great in the dirt while being acceptable on the street, and I don't care if they're DOT or not, nor do I care if they only get me 500 miles, or even less if they are the bomb off road. Right now I have a Kenda Washougal on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front of my dirt wheels. They have worked great for me here in the southwest.  Next, I'm going to mount a Kenda Equilibrium trials type tire on the rear (I'll stick with the Scorpion Pro up front).  Most people recommend Dunlop D606 tires, but not me. There are much better tires out there than those, especially the front. I hated that tire.
5.  I have several helmets depending on the riding I plan on doing, but for an economical helmet that can be used all the time I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bell MX-9 Adventure. I paid $99 for mine (it was a color nobody wanted it seems) and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Awesome! Thanks for all the input.

So theoretically I should be able to fit both plastics and graphics for an S on my E.

I’ll certainly look into that seat cover, tires, and helmet. On the tires, I’d probably just be riding street for my walk to commute on occasion, which is ten miles one way. I asked about the helmets as I didn’t know if needed a dual sport helmet since I’d be on the road, for both legality and safety reasons. I’ve had plenty of street bike helmets and I know they have certain certifications. I guess as long as it says DOT approved, I’m good.

One other quick question, what is the stock sprocket gearing, and what is the most popular "gear down" combination?  Thanks.

E model stock gearing is 14/47.  That is also the most popular gear down combo if you have a S model.  I wouldn't go lower if you do any extended highway riding.

Most people don't gear down E models. And I would say the most popular ratio for lower gearing on the S is 15/47. Most people around here tend to go the other way and run higher gearing for better road manners. I myself like 15/47 for all around use.

Nice bike.

Even at 15/47 on my E it has plenty enough low gearing, but can easily do 70mph+ on the highway.

On the seat, best bang for the buck is Seat Concepts, no doubt.

1.  No difference.
2.  See #1.
3.  Seat Concepts
The Equilibrium is outstanding for offroad grip, like miraculous even, but the sidewalls are paper thin, i would NOT recommend it on a heavy bike, nor on a bike in the rocky SW. I run one on my YZ for gnar in the PNW at 5psi on Tubliss and it's absolutely amazing. But it will get slashed to ribbons quickly on sharp rocks. Good luck.
  • Like 1

I was recently given a 2003 DRZ400E cus a buddy signed it over to me for free while he and his family moved to OZ indefinitely IMO best friend ever and I love this dual sport bike 🙂

I would look at Kenda Trackmaster II's for a great durable dual sport DOT tire and the price is right.

Stock gearing and about 100 KM max on the road but its a strain and  @bucket list  might be able to explain what he does for an easy street to dirt drive conversion?

I recently added some LED front indicators and rear brake/indicator combo to make it a bit safe on the street but where I live its road legal with just the head light and use a phone/speedo app.

20170503_183129.1.thumb.jpg.0d2f20612e5f73b9be15c0a2cc9df238.jpg226941366_20170520_1501091.thumb.jpg.c5d1eddccb934e8fea7a6b4e610b7331.jpg433660249.thumb.jpg.95826fd2e5ba2823e0b45aac024f27e5.jpg

Did I say I LOVE this bike 🙂

20170430_130904.thumb.jpg.7c1f3911982660bef96713d2a17c961f.jpgPhil.endrocross.thumb.jpg.5a7acbd437776a194acbd86c0ca85117.jpg

Edited by filterx