Sign in to follow this  

Getting back in the saddle - WR/TE/EXC/DRZ?

Hello folks,

Im new to the forum and looking for some advice on what bike to get.

1. What is your skill Level (be honest)?  Beginner/Novice

2. What's your height & weight?  6'3 13stone (tall and slim) and im 38years old

3. What year, make, & model of motorcycle are you coming from? And, what do you want the new bike to do better?  Ive not ridden since I was a kid, back then I had a Yamaha TY80 then a Yamaha DT175 but it was only used as a field bike and through the woods. I bought a Honda 400ex Quad/ATV last year but im looking at selling it and moving back to two wheels.

4. What's your ballpark budget?  £2500-3000

5. What types of terrain will you be riding? Tarmac road, dirt track and down onto the beach.

6. Will you be racing or just play riding? Just play riding, probably only a couple of days a month, nothing aggressive just a leisurely blast. 

I'll use it once or twice a month on a tarmac road for about 10miles then over some fields/track and down onto the beach where I'll go for a swim so looking for something that will keep up with traffic but also be able to do some mild off-roading. 

I haven't been on a bike since i was a kid so not looking for anything wild. Needs to have e-start and be road legal. 

Im thinking 2stroke just because they would be easier to rebuild if required, budget is up to £3k. So far ive picked out the Husqvarna WR250 (tall bike-im 6ft3), Husky TE250 or KTM 250 EXC. I have today been reading about the Suzuki DRZ400, it seems to be a popular and reliable bike and I like what ive read about it. I was thinking initially I should be looking for an Enduro bike but I believe the DRZ is classed as a Dual or Adventure bike? Im out of touch with bike models and terms so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, Id like something low maintenance and reliable.

Also, would the Yamaha WR250R be worth considering?

Any advice welcome.
Cheers, Jamsy

Also, would the Yamaha WR250R be worth considering?

Edited by Jamsy

44 minutes ago, Jamsy said:

something low maintenance and reliable.

Air cooled 2t or 4t.