Sign in to follow this  

Racing: Dog VS Dirt Bike

I don't have time to really write at the moment... But I thought this would be a fun topic.. ?

Lots of you guys have to have stories of racing with the family dog or dogs....

Couple of my stories will be about how all of my broken ribs , 3 one time and 2 another, have involved dirt bikes and family dogs who love racing against dirt bikes...

Ahhhhh , Good Times...??

• Like 1

My old dog Percy, used to run 16 miles through the sand dunes behind our house every Wednesday night. There were around 10 of us on souped up ATC70's and he used to come in 3rd or 4th for years. As he got older I attached a flashing bicycle tail light to his collar so we could keep an eye on him. I eventually had to make a trailer for my 70 so he could keep coming over there with us. He lasted over 16 years from 1984 to 2001. A good old boy.

• Like 11

Gotta love the enthusiasm of Percy!

Sometimes I don't even feel like driving 16 miles...

• Like 1

I had a German Shorthair that loved to hunt... Right up until someone had to ruin it for her by shooting a gun...lol... Then it was hightailing it back to the house or truck!

However, Nacho always loved to chase and race dirt bikes.. .lived for it... You fire up a bike and she would go into bark mode and hold her "waiting for the gate to drop" pose by the front tire....

She loved to race the yard or the woods track... You name it, she was all about it... If you started to pull away when she was tapped out for speed (typically 4th gear, she could cover up to 3rd..lol) she would let out some frustration barks..

So one day I was having a particularly fun "cat-N-mouse" game with Nacho...  And I ate it in a tight/ slow turn... But I landed left side on a watermelon sized rock that was about an inch above ground...

Broke 3 ribs.... Sounded like giant knuckles cracking...

So I have one leg under the bike... And every move I make hurts ... Because every upper body move moves ribs...

So I laid there with gas leaking away out the carb overflows... For about 10 minutes...

My wife noticed the absence of dirt bike sounds ... And the dig back at the house..  and came looking for me...

Once she got the bike off me I was ok to get up ... Couldn't lay in a bed for several weeks... Laying down just spread the rib cage...!!

1 hour ago, StevetheSnake said:

Not my dog but was over for Thanksgiving. At least if your chased you might only get nipped. ?

D66D8EC9-0F68-48A0-B3A1-47928D358119.jpeg

Steve... That is totally your dog... Taking the KTM orange vest off it isn't fooling anyone...

Remember when you posted up a pick of your Barry Manilow based CD collection on accident and then tried to blame your wife??? Lol

• Haha 1

Years later ... And a different dog... German Wirehair named Daisy...

I had a decently modified klx110 (yellow model) that I setup so I could play with my kiddos when they were on their first bikes... It wasn't fun for me to ride a full size bike when kids are riding 50s and 70s..

Did a nice 140cc setup with parts from HondaTrailBikes.com (killer prices on lots of mini stuff)...

So... Fall in Michigan... Farm house and big yard with barn... Morning frost had melted off the yard .. except for a key area I was not thinking about... The shadow of the barn on it's north side...

So Daisy and I are having a blast with me on the 110/140... Playing cat and mouse/ can't catch me, dog!!

And I go zooming across the yard on an angle towards the north side of the barn... Dog on my ass...

I go to turn into the barn shadow.... Immediately I'm in a full lock flattrack slide on frost... Shocked, but still thinking I'm so fly... Daisy's got nothing on me... hahaha...

Barn shadow ends... So does the flattrack frost... Bike immediately hooks ...and SLAPS me down like it was trying to slap a fly on a picnic table...!!! 

There's the other 2 broken ribs...??

Edited by mixxer

Our Doberman was very fast and followed us all around the track.  One time he shortcutted a hairpin turn and I hit him coming out of the turn and I went right over the bars.  He stopped me dead second gear WOT out of the hairpin.  Diesel was just fine but my ego was not!

Our new little big boy...

20181123_203428.jpg

• Like 3

when I saw the thread title, I thought you meant this:

Kookie & Jock...

image.png.2b4a998ba944172c9bb1cb4b8e361ae9.png

image.png

• Like 3

22 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

Wow I remember him from looong ago. 

Me too. Man, we're really showing our age.

I can't believe there are so few dudes with dog stories....

I have known a bunch of dogs that loved the game of dirt bike chance/race... I thought since I knew so many, that plenty of others did too...

On 11/30/2018 at 4:47 AM, VortecCPI said:

Our Doberman was very fast and followed us all around the track.  One time he shortcutted a hairpin turn and I hit him coming out of the turn and I went right over the bars.  He stopped me dead second gear WOT out of the hairpin.  Diesel was just fine but my ego was not!

Our new little big boy...

20181123_203428.jpg

Vortec, I'm happy to see that time has healed the wounds of losing your best friend, and has allowed you to finally give another sweet puppy a chance at an amazing life and friendship. I'm sure you guys will be inseparable. You should've made a thread to show him off and show everyone you found the light at the end of the tunnel ? Your story was hilarious too! Dogs can be so dumb at times lol.

12 hours ago, mixxer said:

I can't believe there are so few dudes with dog stories....

I have known a bunch of dogs that loved the game of dirt bike chance/race... I thought since I knew so many, that plenty of others did too...

Your stories are funny as shit too. Sorry they ended in physical pain for you, but yeah, funny stuff. I wasn't able to get into the dirt bike world til a few years ago, and the only dog I've had that was "mine", I let stay at my parent's years ago when I moved out. She was a country dog and needed room to run and play, and I couldn't take her with me.

Now the dogs I have are the girlfriend's, an old basset, and some kinda mixed rat dog thing lol. But, due to my lack of private land to ride on, neither can really be a riding buddy. Maybe one day I'll have a good one. I still need to find a new kitty to fill the void of my baby girl Sasha. Maybe I'll find one that'll wear goggles and ride with me ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Vortec, I'm happy to see that time has healed the wounds of losing your best friend, and has allowed you to finally give another sweet puppy a chance at an amazing life and friendship. I'm sure you guys will be inseparable. You should've made a thread to show him off and show everyone you found the light at the end of the tunnel ? Your story was hilarious too! Dogs can be so dumb at times lol.

Our new puppy is awesome and I am SURE he will be every bit the family member Diesel was!

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, mixxer said:

If you started to pull away when she was tapped out for speed (typically 4th gear, she could cover up to 3rd..lol) she would let out some frustration barks..

Our son's dog to a tee.

None of the dogs we had as kids or dogs I've owned have shown any interest in chasing motorcycles. Rabbits, that's a whole different story.

• Haha 1