New 2019 300 XC-W TPI

Yes and no!
If you drop a gear and pin it or hold a gear and pin. It’s a beast
But at the same time very controlled in its delivery. Just makes you grin like a 2 year old
Nothing like 2 stoke mx bikes of past.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alsr1 said:

Yes and no!
If you drop a gear and pin it or hold a gear and pin. It’s a beastemoji41.png
But at the same time very controlled in its delivery. Just makes you grin like a 2 year old emoji16.png
Nothing like 2 stoke mx bikes of past.

I will add that I also experienced terrible running issues as described in the manual for "Altitude changes". Scared the Sh** out of me...thought my brand new bike was f... up. But just turn it off for 15 seconds, restart and back to awesome. Difference from house to riding area -/+ 4000 ft.

Edited by alsr1
  • Like 2

I am a new member of the Orange Mafia (I refuse to wear the uniform, though)

I got the 2019 300 XCW  TPI Six Days (Chile, which I like, because Chile is tasty)

I'm coming off of a 2008 KLX450R, which I have been very happy with, but the older I get, the heavier it gets. So, it was time to do it.

Any advice for a short guy on the tallest bike he has ever thrown a leg over?

I am going to install the 50mm lowering kit, and since I've had a Rekluse in the KLX for 8 years and loved it, I will be adding one of those as well.

I added a rear disk guard, and I'm adding Cycra probend hand guards. The handguards present a problem, though.... The Six Days bike has fork spring preload adjusters, and the inner mounts for the handguards get in the way of turning those adjusters. I got a set of 10mm bar mount risers that should give me the clearance that I need. I'll update when I put that together.

Thanks for any tips or tricks! 

torch

Congrats on the new bike
I think you’ll love it. Might want to try the bike 1st before adding rekluse. Big difference between 4t and 2t in their ability to lug down low and not stall.
I have the rekluse on my 500. But I don’t really think it’s beneficial on the 300.
I installed a sub mount stabilizer and tubliss so I run low tire pressure.
That’s it for now.

32 minutes ago, masterblaster said:

Ride it a bit befor you put in the rekluse

I will because I want to try my first hydraulic clutch. But....... I get really bad forearm pump, and I have really gotten to like the wheelieing with the throttle alone.  I've had one (a Rekluse) for 8 years, And I love what I can do with it.

torch

44 minutes ago, alsr1 said:

Congrats on the new bike
I think you’ll love it. Might want to try the bike 1st before adding rekluse. Big difference between 4t and 2t in their ability to lug down low and not stall.
I have the rekluse on my 500. But I don’t really think it’s beneficial on the 300.
I installed a sub mount stabilizer and tubliss so I run low tire pressure.
That’s it for now.

My bike before the KLX was a 92 KX 250, which I rode for 14 years. That bike was very stall-proof on the trails. I loved the engine, but the moto boingers were harsh on the trail.

torch

Slavens screw isn’t necessary unless you are having an off idle dead spot or bog, don’t bother unless you have that issue. I have a tpi 250 and also ride north Michigan. I didn’t find  a stabilizer necessary as long as sag is set properly. Suspension in our terrain needs the most attention. The forks suck in north Michigan, spend your money on an xp1 or similar upgrade before you touch the shock, the poor xplor forks make the shock feel bad, but it’s actually not bad

On 12/7/2018 at 9:40 PM, cutting torch said:

My bike before the KLX was a 92 KX 250, which I rode for 14 years. That bike was very stall-proof on the trails. I loved the engine, but the moto boingers were harsh on the trail.

torch

The TPI is a whole lot better than the KX engine was at stall resistance. You can drag it down to where you can feel the individual power pulses and it will still pull.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, ar2stroke said:

I agree I would setup my suspension and do stuff like that. The other stuff is money wasted.

Really just depends on what you like. There are many people in the world that would tell you money on a dirt bike is money wasted............................

4 hours ago, offrd beatr said:

The TPI is a whole lot better than the KX engine was at stall resistance. You can drag it down to where you can feel the individual power pulses and it will still pull.

I haven't ridden it yet, but I would bet your statement is spot on. The '92 KX 250 had one of the torqueyist (is that a word?) power delivery of its time, but the 300 has 50cc's and 26 years of tech on the 250. It probably makes more power than my 450, and I know that I'll love the weight loss!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:20 PM, cutting torch said:

I am a new member of the Orange Mafia (I refuse to wear the uniform, though)

I got the 2019 300 XCW  TPI Six Days (Chile, which I like, because Chile is tasty)

I'm coming off of a 2008 KLX450R, which I have been very happy with, but the older I get, the heavier it gets. So, it was time to do it.

Any advice for a short guy on the tallest bike he has ever thrown a leg over?

I am going to install the 50mm lowering kit, and since I've had a Rekluse in the KLX for 8 years and loved it, I will be adding one of those as well.

I added a rear disk guard, and I'm adding Cycra probend hand guards. The handguards present a problem, though.... The Six Days bike has fork spring preload adjusters, and the inner mounts for the handguards get in the way of turning those adjusters. I got a set of 10mm bar mount risers that should give me the clearance that I need. I'll update when I put that together.

Thanks for any tips or tricks! 

torch

The bar risers did what I needed, so I'm good there, but I also added fork bleeders. Those also restricted the preload adjusters. I don't think I'll use the preload adjusters much, but I thought I'd share that so that you would have a heads up on what to expect.

torch

On 12/2/2018 at 10:12 AM, Old Man Rider said:

My wr is a 2005

My 03 has plenty on the bottom, sounds like yours never got uncorked...

Guys,  one basic question. I just received brand new 300 xc-w tpi and weather is looking good tomorrow. My manual is coming from dealer( my fault, I left it there). Can I just fire it up, warm it up and ride for a bit before snow and cold set in a day from now. I won’t be able to ride til near April when weather clears. Is it worth it?  I am Jonesing to ride the thing, but it would only be low key session.

Any input?

Congrats on the new bike ! I added a JD tuner , Slavens screw , RK tek head and a Rekluse . You dont need to go balls to the wall and get the $900 version , the $600 version works just fine . Chip Munn recommended the cheaper one so I bought hand guards and Odi grips with the money I saved . BTW.....put the Rekluse in and quit messing around .

On 12/19/2018 at 6:15 PM, Salvino said:

Guys,  one basic question. I just received brand new 300 xc-w tpi and weather is looking good tomorrow. My manual is coming from dealer( my fault, I left it there). Can I just fire it up, warm it up and ride for a bit before snow and cold set in a day from now. I won’t be able to ride til near April when weather clears. Is it worth it?  I am Jonesing to ride the thing, but it would only be low key session.

Any input?

Low key IS key. Ride it nice for the first few hours, then twist the wick. After that follow what KTM recommends. They made the bike, so they should  know what it needs for maintenance intervals.  I like to break in a bike  gently, let everything get settled, and then hammer on it.

Torch