Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2018 Husqvarna fx450 overheating

Recommended Posts

Picked up my first husky about a month ago now. Love this bike!! I was doing some technical ridding a couple weeks ago using the clutch a lot, and the bike started to boil over. I have read that if fc/fx450 models do not get enough air flow they will overheat. I was thinking about having the ecu reprogrammed to help with the overheating and with flameouts. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a trailtech fan and call it a day. Had to do the same on my FX350. My buddy has the FX450 and did it as well. They don’t like slow technical stuff. They will get hot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First gear on the FC/FX 450 is much more similar to 2nd on an FE than 1st.  They run really hot when you start to go slower, no way around it.  Note that the FE models come with a fan stock.

Re-mapping the ECU won't net you any real improvement.

You can do a few different things, all with various returns: catch tank, water pump, type of coolant, or fan.  If you want to dink around with it and just move the problem around you can do the first three.  If you never want to worry about it again, put on a radiator fan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First gear on the FC/FX 450 is much more similar to 2nd on an FE than 1st.  They run really hot when you start to go slower, no way around it.  Note that the FE models come with a fan stock.

Re-mapping the ECU won't net you any real improvement.

You can do a few different things, all with various returns: catch tank, water pump, type of coolant, or fan.  If you want to dink around with it and just move the problem around you can do the first three.  If you never want to worry about it again, put on a radiator fan.

 

Aren’t these bikes mapped a little lean from the factory though? A lean engine will run hotter and cause you to overheat. Adding some fuel with tuning would help with flameouts and could cool the motor for some people’s riding conditions where they may be overheating only every once in a while. Could be killing two birds with one stone and if you are still having heat issues then add a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All modern dirt bikes could use fuel but these bikes are not crazy lean. Fan is first thing to get right before gas. Heat out of the motor lightens motor life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CTSF, I've not felt that my FC450 is lean at all. It doesn't flame out, it doesn't pop, or do anything else odd fuel related. Granted, mine is still stone stock in the exhaust department (even the perf ice cream cone in the silencer) and I haven't drilled any holes in the airbox covers.

I do always make it a point when I'm going somewhere that is a decent change in elevation from where I was last I "initialize/recalibrate" the EFI before I ride

For me, it just gets hot when I'm riding technical terrain with my buddies on KTM 300s. Them hopping logs, rocks, and climbing switchbacks in first gear was a LOT of clutch work on my FC just due to the transmission spacing. Which is why I shoved a 6th gear in my 450 and lowered overall gearing accordingly. My heat issues are pretty much gone now.  I will still get it to bubble over on a massive climb or if it idles for too long, but that is a rarity and doesn't bother me.

If I eventually end up putting a pipe on the bike, I would get it remapped. But for how I ride I sure don't feel a remap at this point is a necessity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eastreich said:

@CTSF, I've not felt that my FC450 is lean at all. It doesn't flame out, it doesn't pop, or do anything else odd fuel related. Granted, mine is still stone stock in the exhaust department (even the perf ice cream cone in the silencer) and I haven't drilled any holes in the airbox covers.

I do always make it a point when I'm going somewhere that is a decent change in elevation from where I was last I "initialize/recalibrate" the EFI before I ride

For me, it just gets hot when I'm riding technical terrain with my buddies on KTM 300s. Them hopping logs, rocks, and climbing switchbacks in first gear was a LOT of clutch work on my FC just due to the transmission spacing. Which is why I shoved a 6th gear in my 450 and lowered overall gearing accordingly. My heat issues are pretty much gone now.  I will still get it to bubble over on a massive climb or if it idles for too long, but that is a rarity and doesn't bother me.

If I eventually end up putting a pipe on the bike, I would get it remapped. But for how I ride I sure don't feel a remap at this point is a necessity...

No issues even running a full FMF mega 4.1 exhaust using stock mapping. TPS set correctly, aftermarket coolant, fan and pump gas. Be aware that cutting holes in your air box is NOT AMA legal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, weantright said:

No issues even running a full FMF mega 4.1 exhaust using stock mapping. TPS set correctly, aftermarket coolant, fan and pump gas. Be aware that cutting holes in your air box is NOT AMA legal. 

Did you mean EPA? Because the AMA couldn't care less about holes in the airbox.

Every factory Husky four stroke entered in an AMA series seems to has holes in the airbox...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No AMA. AMA sent a notice a year ago on this mod that it is illegal in several classes of racing. Unless they have revised this it’s a no no and can be protested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, weantright said:

No AMA. AMA sent a notice a year ago on this mod that it is illegal in several classes of racing. Unless they have revised this it’s a no no and can be protested. 

I would assume that this would then apply to "stock" classes in Amateur MX qualifiers and Loretta Lynn's.  No such "stock" restrictions in any off road racing regs that I can think of.  I never pay attention to the Am MX regs as those are way off of my radar.  Motocross in Montana has nothing to do with the AMA, and they have their own screwy rule book (I was the series ref for a few years).  Only "stock" class we have/had here is/was for PW50s...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...