Sign in to follow this  

Broken bolt rear sprocket

My kids DS80 has a broken bolt snapped off in the hub. Any recommendations on getting this sucker out?

Remove the wheel, remove the rest of the bolts. Heat the hub carefully, use a left handed drill  bit followed by an easy out. Or take the wheel to a local machine shop, give them $20 and they will take it out with no stress. Buy all new bolts.

• Like 1

This bolt is made out of some alien indestructible metal. I bought a IRWIN screw extractor kit that came with the drill bit and the extractor but man I have been drilling for an hour now and I just have a little dent in it so far. Is it normally this tuff?

Ok now I was curious and I just drilled into a 2x4. This drillbit it came with isn’t a left hand drill bit

• Haha 2

might need to start with a new bit? this time use real slow speed with lots of pressure

Yeah I tried all kinds of stuff. I am done I am going to take it somewhere. Does the dealer do this kind of stuff?

9 hours ago, panaman said:

Yeah I tried all kinds of stuff. I am done I am going to take it somewhere. Does the dealer do this kind of stuff?

No, take it to a machine shop or guy that specializes in bolt extraction.

• Like 1

No, take it to a machine shop or guy that specializes in bolt extraction.

I called my local dealer and they referred me to a shop to take it to. Going to drop it off at lunch time

I took it to a place called Roddy’s Motorcycle Shop. I guess the work on a lot of older bikes so they are used to getting out broken bolts. Took them 30 minutes to get it out and charged me $30. I couldn’t be more happy with the service. My kids will be happy I got it back together

• Like 2