Sign in to follow this  

Piggyback Tuner FE501

I am at the point of adding a piggyback tuner to my 2017 FE501.  I have pulled the intake reeds, punched out the stock exhaust end screens  and desmog'd.  I have looked and read about the JD tuner, Blais Racing tuner and KTM and Husky.com offerings.  Obviously these are all the same hardware but the specific tunes may vary.  Anyone willing to share what would be the best for me and any rationale to go with one over the other?  They are all priced a little differently but within a $50 bill.  If unwilling to post an opinion publicly please send a PM.  Thanks Gentleman, ready to add my final piece.....for now 😏

Its my understanding that a reflash is no longer an option unless you have an unlocked ECU.  Mine is stock and has never been changed, so I am pretty sure that is out.  While I would love a vortex the budget will not allow that right now.  But I know what you are saying.

7 minutes ago, shaggy55352 said:

Its my understanding that a reflash is no longer an option unless you have an unlocked ECU.  Mine is stock and has never been changed, so I am pretty sure that is out.  While I would love a vortex the budget will not allow that right now.  But I know what you are saying.

Imo i would do the tps adjustment then, seems to work very well for most.

Free if you use a multimeter or you could get the box from ktm/husky

I would say save up for the Vortex, no sense in doing something half right. TPS should help you get by until then. But reset it to stock when you put the Vortex in. 

• Like 2

fwiw; I did the KTM&Husky tuner, but I did it as part of that whole $700 package. I've managed to put about 100 miles on since the install. about 50/50 street, dirt. Getting additional fuel made a big difference in the way it runs.  There is no more harshness, and the throttle response is now predictable and smooth in the rocks and washboard.  Also the exhaust doesn't get as hot.  I'm happy with the performance. 

If you only do the intake, exhaust and tuner, make sure to cap off the air injection tube.  The added fuel will make the decel backfire worse.

It seems the piggy back units all get pretty equal reviews.  Just note, they only remap fuel, not timing, so they leave a little on the table.  I have no experience with the Vortex, but understand that it maps fuel and timing.  That is an advantage.  The other advantage is you can pocket your stock ECM, and if the Vortex fails on the trail, just plug in your stock unit and ride easy until the Vortex is fixed.  

I doubt there is enough real world difference between any of the piggyback units to make a difference.  For a tuner, look for fast turn around service, and good support in case of failure.

Good luck which ever way you go.  Hope you'll post up what you do, and your thoughts.

if you are interested, I posted a few poor but thankfully short videos, on installing the K&H, and initial thoughts here:  One thing of note, the original flat spot in the throttle magically disappeared on the second ride.  No idea why, and don't care enough to think about it...lol

Hope this help! ?

Honestly I think most of those CNC products he sells are serious snake oil. Don’t see very much evidence of the claims made.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Honestly I think most of those CNC products he sells are serious snake oil. Don’t see very much evidence of the claims made.

This would make a great (but different) thread, if it could remain objective, with factual info.  I see no evidence of the claim you just made.  Factual data would dispel myths either way. 

I'm running the Best Dual sports tuner its been awesome on my 500 exc. I ran the vortex too for a few months it was great but not worth the price to me. JD tuner is great too. Good luck with the new bike!

First I would like to thank everyone for weighing in for me.  When I get everything buttoned up I will try to circle back and update my results.  To that end it is December in Minnesota please standby.....?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, jmd426 said:

Skip the junk piggyback tuners, not saying they dont work but is just one more failure point. These would be a better route to go! or simple adjust the tps

https://blaisracingservices.com/2012-2017-ktm-husqvarna-custom-ecu-mapping.html

https://blaisracingservices.com/vortex-racing-ecu-for-2017-ktm-350/500-exc-husqvarna-fe-350/501-models.html

Ive been running a tuner for over 40,000 miles, how much longer till failure point, or how many will still have their bikes by then.

as mentioned Blias cant remap a stock ecu anymore, update your facts.

24 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Ive been running a tuner for over 40,000 miles, how much longer till failure point, or how many will still have their bikes by then.

as mentioned Blias cant remap a stock ecu anymore, update your facts.

Nice job glad yours has been good, that's not to say the next guys will be or not.  Extra failure point nonetheless.

That same box is used by many tuners street and dirt as im sure you already know.  I have seen them fail as do power commanders. % is low yes but it defiantly happens

People can do whatever they want.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, jmd426 said:

Skip the junk piggyback tuners, not saying they dont work but is just one more failure point. These would be a better route to go! or simple adjust the tps

https://blaisracingservices.com/2012-2017-ktm-husqvarna-custom-ecu-mapping.html  

O BOY must be unlocked. Ever so hard to come by?

https://blaisracingservices.com/vortex-racing-ecu-for-2017-ktm-350/500-exc-husqvarna-fe-350/501-models.html

The most reliable place to mount is inside the airbox, it eliminates later potential wiring issues, but I have to say,  my tuner has done very well, and no matter what map you get, euro, fmf , ect, being able to easily field adjust the base map, is always a nicety. 

The failure point argument, yeah I guess, but the whole bike is a potential failure point. But never had a tuner issue thus far

Edited by Spud786

Mine is mounted behind the front number plate/headlight, i thought the airbox was too messy to mount it inside. Also seen it mounted on the steering stem. As far as reliability  I think they have proven to be very reliable.  I've had one on my harley since 2007 without any issues.  The are also use by Vance and Hines, FMF, Weisco,  and many other tuning companies on everything from boats to snowmobiles

http://www.dobeckperformance.com

• Like 1

I desmogged, derestricted, and put in a JD Tuner on my 450. I didn't touch (dickup) my TPS. I mounted mine on top of the battery. Bike runs perfect.

Ive added the vortex setup and its a great improvement..... A little costly bit worth ot for me

I am at the point of adding a piggyback tuner to my 2017 FE501.  I have pulled the intake reeds, punched out the stock exhaust end screens  and desmog'd.  I have looked and read about the JD tuner, Blais Racing tuner and KTM and Husky.com offerings.  Obviously these are all the same hardware but the specific tunes may vary.  Anyone willing to share what would be the best for me and any rationale to go with one over the other?  They are all priced a little differently but within a $50 bill.  If unwilling to post an opinion publicly please send a PM.  Thanks Gentleman, ready to add my final piece.....for now :smirk:

I am at the point of adding a piggyback tuner to my 2017 FE501.  I have pulled the intake reeds, punched out the stock exhaust end screens  and desmog'd.  I have looked and read about the JD tuner, Blais Racing tuner and KTM and Husky.com offerings.  Obviously these are all the same hardware but the specific tunes may vary.  Anyone willing to share what would be the best for me and any rationale to go with one over the other?  They are all priced a little differently but within a $50 bill.  If unwilling to post an opinion publicly please send a PM.  Thanks Gentleman, ready to add my final piece.....for now :smirk:
Also popped two 1inch holes with screen and filter inserts in the upper back side air box cover for more O2.... Braaappp
300776809.jpeg
  • Like 1

Sweet SM [mention=416716]filwell77[/mention]! An FS450 fender would look nice...
Most of the time its in enduro mode.....
Love the option for SM conversion