Sign in to follow this  

2018 FE 350 Dead Battery

Turn key on, light on dash goes on, you can hear fuel pump engage, push start button, go.  Parked bike at end of day, took key out.  Next morning go to start bike, dead battery.  Charge battery.  Now turn key on, no light on dash, no fuel pump sound, push start button, bike runs so go.  Park bike at end of day, took key out.  Next morning go to start bike, dead battery.  Anybody else ever had this problem?

I’ve got an 18 TX300 with a dead battery. One day was fine, next day dead. My buddy with an 18 TE 300 had the same thing happen. 2018 battery’s suck!

19 hours ago, 1 lunger said:

I’ve got an 18 TX300 with a dead battery. One day was fine, next day dead. My buddy with an 18 TE 300 had the same thing happen. 2018 battery’s suck!

Thats the disadvantage with lithium batteries, they seem fine until all of a sudden they fail, no really bringing them back to life either

11 hours ago, kingloomis said:

Battery checks out good.  There is a draw on the system overnight.  Thought somebody might know where it's at.

Have you verified a system draw?? Otherwise the battery can have a dead cell and overnight drains the battery. This happens more often then a system draw. Need to verify battery is holding a charge, then verify system draw. Fix what's broke

I've been checking the battery and it's been holding a charge with cables off.  No dead cell.  I have another FE350 in the garage so I'm going to switch out fuel tanks.  I think the system draw is in the fuel pump since it stays on all the time.  

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 7:00 PM, kingloomis said:

Battery checks out good.  There is a draw on the system overnight.  Thought somebody might know where it's at.

That is one of the symptoms of an eminent ECU failure.  After you shut the bike down, remove the seat and let it set 4 or 5 hours, they go check the ECU and see if it feels warm.  If it's warm the ECU is bad and will totally fail soon.  Another symptom is if the fan comes on when the engine is not at operating temp or the dash or headlight will not turn off.  talk to your dealer about this, if he says he hasn't heard of it, tell him to call KTM and ask about ECU failures,  this seems to be most common in the 501s, but is happening in other FE's as well.  When it starts flashing a code 53 on the FI light ( 5 long flashes - 3 short flashes), it's done, dead bike.  Also,  I believe the ECU falls under emission control devises and should have a 5 year - 18,000 mile warranty if you haven't altered the bikes emission devices.

Edited by woofhound

Thanks for the info guys.  When I installed the other fuel tank I got a 41 code.  I looked it up in the manual and it is a fuel pump issue.   I replaced the fuel pump and now the bike is good to go.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, kingloomis said:

I've been checking the battery and it's been holding a charge with cables off.  No dead cell.  I have another FE350 in the garage so I'm going to switch out fuel tanks.  I think the system draw is in the fuel pump since it stays on all the time.  

what is the charge?