Sign in to follow this  

Dal Soggio Sphere Valving

I did my 1st ride on a new out of the box set of 4CS Dal Soggio Spheres with the standard "enduro" valving and it felt pretty stiff to me. Feels more like "A" rider Harescramble valving. I ride really gnarly rocky stuff in Arizona, solid B rider/racer 190#.

Are these "enduro" valving specs pretty stiff out of the box? I thought they'd be pretty close, but not as plush as I thought. Maybe they just need valving right away? Maybe just need some break in time?

Just wondering, is anyone riding these with stock valving? How did/do they feel? Trying to decide if I should just re-valve them right away or get more seat time first.

dal soggoi.jpg

Springs ? Maybe need 2- 3 hours to fully bed in

22 minutes ago, mog said:

Springs ? Maybe need 2- 3 hours to fully bed in

Springs are good. Running .45/.46 out of my 4CS

Seals and bushings are not new on the tubes, so the only thing to break in would be the inner cartridge which felt pretty damn smooth to me before I installed it.

Have you explored how much range the clickers have ? Maybe 4-5 clicks softer will be enough

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mog said:

Have you explored how much range the clickers have ? Maybe 4-5 clicks softer will be enough

I did. Started at the base spec (13 out) Ran it 1-2 clicks softer, then 3-4 clicks softer, and tried full soft. I think most of my problem is in the high speed compression, not the low speed. They felt the best at 14-15 clicks out on the low speed. Honestly though, 1 ride is not enough to be sure of what's going on. Did some more searching and it does sound like they might take some hours to settle in.

Going to give CSR a call tomorrow and see what they say.

• Like 1

The 8x25 I’d pull 2 out and then remove odd shims from compression stack. Or... just remove odd shims. That will lighten high speed and make it softer on rocks. I’d try to keep the larger face shims so it doesn’t blow through on low speed. Are these new? There was an issue with blow off valve/hole but newer versions it was addressed (supposedly). Did you check bladder pressure?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ac717 said:

Are these new? There was an issue with blow off valve/hole but newer versions it was addressed (supposedly). Did you check bladder pressure?

Brand new, untouched. Haven't checked the bladder pressure yet, waiting for the tools to arrive. I'll inspect them for the updated machined surface once my tools come.

Main spring preload is crucial too. It should be around 3-5 mm for woods riding.

The stock setup in general feels greater for a bit faster enduro riding. If you ride slower, rocky and/or techical stuff, you would benefit from a softer valving.

• Like 3

I believe I have the standard enduro valving. Inside 2013 WP 4CS forks.

My clickers have been adjusted to 15 clicks out compression. 14 clicks out rebound. 

Ready to ride weight is about 187lb and 5'10" height.

I like to ride slower very rocky and technical terrain. Mostly around gears 1 to 3.

If I have a weekend out with friends I put the clickers back to their base setting. It holds up better for the faster paced riding.

You have similar weight to me but if you look at history of motor vehicles the general concensus is that USA people prefer a softer suspension valving than UK, Japan, or Australian people. So a revalve may be necessary for you.

got a 2nd ride in on some less gnarly trails. Feels better now that they're broken in but just has too much high speed compression. I called CSR and they were super helpful. I have a few things to try now on valving and setup.

Loving everything else about the fork though. It's completely changed the handling of the bike. The handling is more direct and precise now. Front end definitely hooks up better.

Some minor tweaks and I think these are going to be killer.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Kosmic said:

got a 2nd ride in on some less gnarly trails. Feels better now that they're broken in but just has too much high speed compression. I called CSR and they were super helpful. I have a few things to try now on valving and setup.

Loving everything else about the fork though. It's completely changed the handling of the bike. The handling is more direct and precise now. Front end definitely hooks up better.

Some minor tweaks and I think these are going to be killer.

What did you end up doing on the valving. I am interested in purchasing some to install myself but do not really want to mess with changing the valving. When you say ride technical like rocks do you mean 1st and 2nd gear speeds? I live in AZ also and ride enduro and a some hare scramble type riding.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, Slate said:

What did you end up doing on the valving. I am interested in purchasing some to install myself but do not really want to mess with changing the valving. When you say ride technical like rocks do you mean 1st and 2nd gear speeds? I live in AZ also and ride enduro and a some hare scramble type riding.  Thanks! 

I made the same changes as seen in the video below. I called CSR (the US distributor) and got the same specs from them. Removed some face shims and lightened up the high speed a little. They are better, but still not perfect. The high speed compression still needs work. Getting deflection on square edge hits. I think the next step is going to be opening up the mid valve even more.

Out of the box, they are set up for an A rider at race pace. If you're not fast and aggressive rider, they'll probably be too stiff for Arizona and will need valving. I'm a mid pack B racer and they were too stiff for me in the rocks.

Technical rocks doesn't necessarily have to be 1st-2nd gear. We ride a lot of 3rd-4th gear stuff that is really rocky too. I generally tune my suspension to handle the high speed g-outs, whoops, cornering and compromise a little bit in the gnarly stuff. I have long arms legs so can use that as suspension when I need to.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:40 PM, lukethedork said:

history of motor vehicles the general concensus is that USA people prefer a softer suspension valving than UK, Japan, or Australian people.

Wut? That's never been my finding... North America runs incredible stiff valving vs the rest of the world. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kosmic said:

I made the same changes as seen in the video below. I called CSR (the US distributor) and got the same specs from them. Removed some face shims and lightened up the high speed a little. They are better, but still not perfect. The high speed compression still needs work. Getting deflection on square edge hits. I think the next step is going to be opening up the mid valve even more.

Out of the box, they are set up for an A rider at race pace. If you're not fast and aggressive rider, they'll probably be too stiff for Arizona and will need valving. I'm a mid pack B racer and they were too stiff for me in the rocks.

Technical rocks doesn't necessarily have to be 1st-2nd gear. We ride a lot of 3rd-4th gear stuff that is really rocky too. I generally tune my suspension to handle the high speed g-outs, whoops, cornering and compromise a little bit in the gnarly stuff. I have long arms legs so can use that as suspension when I need to.

Awesome. Thanks for the details on your setup. I plan to get Spheres and get setup for when AMRA resumes in the fall.

Thanks, Lars

Have you thought about calling Stillwell Performance? We are located in Scottsdale, and have been testing with these for almost three years. I have installed about 100 of these on riders ranging in skill form beginners to AA pro's.