Sign in to follow this  

XR600R 88-up EFI

I just got a used 88 XR600R, having trouble getting it tuned here in Colorado at 6000 ft.  I own a small company WAVE Engineering, that specializes in EFI and turbo conversions. I'm looking at an EFI system that should adapt well to the single carb 88-up XR600R and XR650, and we might be getting a system and doing the development work.

This is a closed-loop EFI system, never needs tuning when changing altitudes. No choke, no warm-up, easy one-kick start and go, and just plain cool to boot.

If we develop this system, is there any interest? Complete plug-n-play should be about $900

- Bill

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BillXR600R said:

I just got a used 88 XR600R, having trouble getting it tuned here in Colorado at 6000 ft.  I own a small company WAVE Engineering, that specializes in EFI and turbo conversions. I'm looking at an EFI system that should adapt well to the single carb 88-up XR600R and XR650, and we might be getting a system and doing the development work.

This is a closed-loop EFI system, never needs tuning when changing altitudes. No choke, no warm-up, easy one-kick start and go, and just plain cool to boot.

If we develop this system, is there any interest? Complete plug-n-play should be about $900

- Bill

I like this idea, Bill. I guess when you mention the 650 you are speaking of the XR650L? It would be nice to have something for the XR650R as well. 👍

Bruce

Edited by zrxer
  • Like 1

What an awesome idea. I hope this comes to the market for the Big XR's. 

For me if the Big XR takes off I can then hope for a XR400 system.

would the fuel pump be external? I presume since the stock or aftermarket tanks would not accommodate

- Bill

I like it as well. Please make sure it is “hot-rodable” so it can work on a high-flowing XR650R with stage 2 cams and higher compression.

Its amazed me why an efi conversion for motos is not already on the market....

the after market car industry had efi kits long ago, i efi’d a datsun 1600 back in 98 with quad throttle bodies....

so why not a few throttle bodies 36/38/40/42mm but they must slide not a butterfly throttle

The system we're looking at uses a butterfly-type throttle body, which is just an air door.  No need for a slide since the downstream injector atomizes the fuel fine.  Heated O2 sensor for closed loop, external pump. There's a few problems I'm working through, including how to use a return line system with the stock tank. I have a few ideas that don't require modifying the tank or petcock. This needs to be easy to install, and doesn't require modifying anything besides adding an O2 sensor bung.

A few years ago, we designed, built and sold a complicated turbo kit for the Honda 919. The turbo was hidden under the tank, very stealthy, but required a lot of custom new parts and brackets, CNC'ed airbox and custom EFI tune, oil pump etc. It took a lot of development time but came out really nice. Only sold 5 kits, so it was a waste of time and money, but was fun! So I'm reluctant to spend development time and money if I'm the only person using it. I'm just checking to see if this is a viable project for the big XR rider.

Edited by BillXR600R
  • Like 1

The system we're looking at uses a butterfly-type throttle body, which is just an air door.  No need for a slide since the downstream injector atomizes the fuel fine.  Heated O2 sensor for closed loop, external pump. There's a few problems I'm working through, including how to use a return line system with the stock tank. I have a few ideas that don't require modifying the tank or petcock. This needs to be easy to install, and doesn't require modifying anything besides adding an O2 sensor bung.
A few years ago, we designed, built and sold a complicated turbo kit for the Honda 919. The turbo was hidden under the tank, very stealthy, but required a lot of custom new parts and brackets, CNC'ed airbox and custom EFI tune, oil pump etc. It took a lot of development time but came out really nice. Only sold 5 kits, so it was a waste of time and money, but was fun! So I'm reluctant to spend development time and money if I'm the only person using it. I'm just checking to see if this is a viable project for the big XR rider.

I believe it depends on how much gain you get out of the mod, if the gain is significant and the price is not too crazy, I believe it would have good acceptance among XR owners, and people looking for a new bike to consider an XR and the mod.

The only thing you'd gain is some self adjustment/compensation. Will it be enough ? Who knows.  They sell aftermarket adjustable FI controllers for most FI bikes made , this set up , no , you get what you get.  I'm good with carbs so it's just a novelty to me.

• Like 1

Don`t see a chance in hell you can design and sell a complete kit for 900 bucks....  without losing your shirt..

And most XR owners are cheaper than KLR owners too..

good luck though,,i`d pay big bucks for a system that actuaaly worked well and helped engine performance..

B

• Like 1

Cool idea. But for $900 I’m not sure you’d make a profit, or even break even. I haven’t bought a pumper carb yet because half that $900 is still a lot of money to me for fuel management of... basically a toy. Still a cool idea though and if you have the resources and can do it without cost in mind, go for it.

i know the difference efi can make to a motor...as i said earlier when i efi’d an engine from the 70s...naturally with well metered fuel delivery it was equivalent to a modern engine ...started easily, idled smooth, no bogs, responsive....

efi gives the true ability to gain from any motor mods made...

jetting is only a guessing game and with just 3 points to adjust the fueling map of a carburettor it’s amazing motors run...

• Like 2

Ecotrons has had one available for quite a while.  Not exactly plug and play though.  A little less pricey but closed loop capable and fairly easily tunable as well.  It hasn't caught on with any big bore single. 

I love the idea but the overwhelming majority of R and L owners want non-computer controlled.

Edited by Hollerhead

10 hours ago, Arrowtree551 said:

A big part of why I love xrs is the simplicity. If I wanted efi I'd buy a crf450l. Love the idea, thats just my 2¢

A CRF450L is almost double the price of a XR650L, I believe a fuel injected 650 would kick the 450's ass. The XR650L + the EFI kit should be cheaper than a CRF450L or similar bikes to make sense.

• Like 1

A CRF450L is almost double the price of a XR650L, I believe a fuel injected 650 would kick the 450's ass. The XR650L + the EFI kit should be cheaper than a CRF450L or similar bikes to make sense.
I'm not going to stear this thread from the topic but I have to say there is NO way a 450 compares to a 650....even with fuel injection.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arrowtree551 said:
14 minutes ago, ricardoguitars said:

I'm not going to stear this thread from the topic but I have to say there is NO way a 450 compares to a 650....even with fuel injection.

Both bikes corked have almost the same HP, the XR almost doubles the CRF on the torque field, but the CRF is significantly lighter than the XR, I believe and uncorked and remapped CRF can do more HP and close torque figures than a uncorked XR, look at the CRFR specs.

I have been chased by a tricked CRF230 going uphill, we went head on head until I hit 4th gear, the 230 didn't have the torque to get past 3rd uphill. A 250 with a 6th gear can do the same top speed on flat as a 650.

What we gain out of our old-school 650 vs modern 250+ is basically torque because of the bigger displacement, and durability since the engine is low compression and low revving.