Hello, I'm new to both this forum and thumpers- although I'm quickly becoming an avid enduro fein! 

I'm looking at www.fs.usda.gov trail closures for the 2018/19 winter season wondering how risky it is to break the rules here and there to take advantage of the spectacular conditions now moisture has ben reintroduced to SoCal! 

Can I get some insight into how "on top if it" ranger's from the LOs Padres Mt. Pinos District are at citing rebels like me are?

Hmm.  First post and you are asking for advice about breaking the law?  Sounds like a troll or some environmental hack.  My advise is to obey the seasonal closure put in place by the forestry service.  Plenty of other legal places to ride.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I mean, I understand your use of caution but advice on how to avoid trouble is what I'm looking for!

Is there some places I should absolutely avoid in the Mt. Pinos District if I plan on riding there? 

Don't ride closed areas please, this sport has a bad reputation as it is - there is lots of riding around the corner at Gorman.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Okay, here’s your advice to avoiding trouble.  Don’t ride in the LPNF when a seasonal closure is in effect.  If you do ride during the closure and get caught, just don’t come on here and cry about it.  

• Helpful 2

5 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Hmm.  First post and you are asking for advice about breaking the law?  Sounds like a troll or some environmental hack.  My advise is to obey the seasonal closure put in place by the forestry service.  Plenty of other legal places to ride.

BTW, rode Cannell Plunge (on MTB) for the first time last weekend! Glad I got to right as the white curtain was being lowered on the Sierra. I see you are involved with the Sequoia trails Gflo, and I appreciate your trails!

I'm just bummed we have to wait until May to get out there! That's the better part of the "good" weather Socal gets and the trails are moist! 

Have to support the sport.  Not good enough to just take.  If you like the Sequoia trails (Kern Plateau, Greenhorns, Paiutes), I strongly suggest joining Stewards of the Sequoias, donate as much money to them as you can, and sight up to volunteer to work on the trails.

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, JPeaches said:

I'm just bummed we have to wait until May to get out there! That's the better part of the "good" weather Socal gets and the trails are moist! 

Still a lot of good stuff available year round.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion Gflo! We'll see what I can do to give back. 

Back on the topic of SoCal trails and what to ride in the "wet" season... can I get some suggestions for fun- technical single track- preferably in the higher elevations?

Plenty of challenging trails at Rowher Flats, Bouquet Canyon, and Drinkwater Flats.

22 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Plenty of challenging trails at Rowher Flats, Bouquet Canyon, and Drinkwater Flats.

Cool Gflo!

I'm glad I came to this forum and got to feel out the level of opposition to riding in closed areas. Ventura/LA/Kern isn't exactly my backyard so I don't know the ropes. I live in the Cleveland National Forest and am more keene on what and how to ride down here. It's my intention to pass through the mountains quietly and discretely no matter what the designation is. I'm a "leave no trace" kind of individual who appreciates unadulterated beauty and freedoms. Of course motos aren't exactly the most graceful vehicles to enjoy nature but if ridden conscientiously they aren't that bad! 😉

Cheers!

There is a lot of good riding up in the mountains of the San Bernardino NF.  Don’t know about seasonal closures up there.

1 hour ago, Gflo said:

All of those are closed indefinitely.  Please look elsewhere 

Thanks, management 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wr250ish said:

All of those are closed indefinitely.  Please look elsewhere 

Thanks, management 

Where is there any documentation of this? They don't make it easy to find on their fs.usda.gov site!

10 minutes ago, JPeaches said:

Where is there any documentation of this? They don't make it easy to find on their fs.usda.gov site!

It's on the local intra district bulletins they send out bi  monthly. Gorman is still open and probably your best bet.

Thanks wr..., kinda looked boring anyways. Don't want to waste any gas and tread on some blown out mole hills.

Cheers!

• Haha 2