Sign in to follow this  

250x countershaft seal

Get a drop every now and again on my new-to-me 05 X.  Any guidance on the best replacement kit?  Or, are they all the same?  Any tips?  Hopefully straight forward job like any other dirtbike.

Thanks in advance.

For seals, OEM parts are IMO much preferable,

some may have good luck with them but I've found aftermarket seals included in typical Allballs, Pivot Works etc. kits to be less pliable and tear too easily.

I've replaced my countershaft seal as well, by memory the old one was relatively easy to pry out.

Either with an old screw driver or, I may have driven in a few metal screws and tugged it out with locking pliers.

23 hours ago, dukesilver said:

Get a drop every now and again on my new-to-me 05 X.  Any guidance on the best replacement kit?  Or, are they all the same?  Any tips?  Hopefully straight forward job like any other dirtbike.

Thanks in advance.

https://thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=642598&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=2005&model=24743

If you replace the seal you should replace the collar or sleeve and the D ring also, otherwise you will likely still have a leak. The collar can be difficult to remove.

Well, funny thing happened on the way to the forum ......

Not the countershaft at all - it's the shifter shaft.  When I saw oil in the general vicinity I assumed it was the countershaft, and we all know how that one goes.

New Honda shifter seal on the way AND I'll have a spare countershaft seal on hand cause I ordered it yesterday.

Thanks for the help all.