Sign in to follow this  

off road phone mount?

I've seen lot of different phone mounts for off road use. Which one do you use? I'm not so concerned with my phone falling out of them, but more about the constant vibration killing my phone. What are your experiences?

• Like 1

I put my phone on a ram mount x grip and it stays on fine, but this is when dual sport riding on less rough terrain. I don’t know how well it would hold up to real off road riding. I do know it will hold on at slightly above legal speeds on a street bike as well. I don’t worry much about the vibrations. I figure it’s the constant dropping of my phone on the concrete that does more damage.

3 minutes ago, highmarker said:

I shove it in a spare glove and put it in my pack.

I have a map app that I like to use, so I want my phone mounted on my bars. Hoping to hear from someone who has done this and hasn't had any problems with the vibration ruining their phone

I bought a spare no service phone for that, and to use as a gps and camera. Broke it , glad it wasn't my good phone.  My friend has a bar mount tablet, so far vibration hasn't killed it? 

Edited by highmarker

I've posted this in a number of GPS topics but I occasionally use a not activated Samsung Rugby for GPS and made this mount for my 7/8" bars for both my CRF and DRZ.

Modded Alpine Lowe hard camera case for $20, then high density foam and some zip ties. There are lots of phone mount options but this has worked great for me 🙂

20160515_102848.thumb.jpg.bb9400a4d0a7103c7212218dc4be74a4.jpg

20160511_172919.thumb.jpg.bee7f0ef98e60183c85176e536f9d0d9.jpg

I've now got a couple of non activated larger Samsung's I might use for a GPS but will need to sort out a mount for them

• Like 3

I keep mine in a leather pouch inside a fender back over the rear of my KTM. I don't attempt to read it while riding. Last Fall I was riding with a buddy who had a nice new iPhone on a handlebar clamp. near the end of the day, I said "yo, Bill, where is your phone" as it was gone from his mount. He back-tracked and found it laying on the ground next to a 30 foot diameter puddle. It worked, but a foot or two to the left and it would be swimming with fishies

Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze and a Buzz-Kill. 3000+ miles one my setup in all weather and riding, not a hint of wear. 

Can't find the buzz-kill listed on the site, may be out of stock at the moment? 

The price is very very BMW land, but the quality can't be beat. The guy makes high end camera rigs, with a bit of motorcycle and Tacoma stuff thrown in.  I believe the whole kit was $160 shipped. 

http://www.hondogarage.com/

LRG_DSC01347.JPG

I got a waterproof iPhone case with a Ram ball on the back sorta like this one from amazon, and a Ram ball with a handlebar mount (can get all sorts of Ram connectors and mounting tabs to bolt anywhere):

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Addons-Waterproof-Adapter-Motorcycle/dp/B00XA4R1LY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1543607622&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=waterproof+iphone+case+ram+mount

The phone cannot fall out, and even if I ditch the bike in a lake the phone is protected from water and impact (still have an old, non-waterproof 5s, newer phones are IPX7 waterproof). I have a longish Ram arm between phone and handlebar so I don't need to look down too far, and I can operate the phone with my left hand if needed while riding (obviously not recommended for reasons of death and dismemberment), and can tilt it so that I can see it riding while standing too.
Depending on the type of phone, there are cases with and without the protective screen cover.  The screen cover is a nice idea but obscures the screen in direct sunlight.  Some seal against the face of the phone so they protect the phone but the screen glass is exposed.  You can buy any manner of protective / waterproof cases and epoxy / bolt a ram ball on the back if it doesn't have one.  Never had a phone get damaged from vibration in this manner, though sometimes it overheats in it's case in direct sun on hot days, just shuts off for a while.

• Like 1

We used the Ram x mount with their extra rubber band strap thing and ball mount attached to bar clamps, for 800 miles of prerunning and 800 miles of race in this years Baja 1000. Not one slip of the phone. Some have commented on fear of high speeds. We hit around 90mph on dirt with many 70+ extended stretches, that’s quite a bit of vibration and wind. Gotta say I was very impressed. To the OP’s question about vibration damage: yes, it will get more vibration than in your pack etc, but modern phones seem amazingly immune to vibration damage. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I've been using a Ram X cradle mount. Works ok, but only trust my phone staying in place on the trail when using the rubber stretch grid that wraps around each corner of my phone. However, I should have glued the rubber contact points on as I lost one on a recent ride. It's great for the road and ok for the trail. Still looking for better options.

4125578+doL.jpg

I don't have any info to offer on phone mounts, but I can recommend a rugged smart phone.

I have gone through a few that could not stand up to falls and compressions but I have owned a CAT model B15  for 3 or 4 years it has been reliable. They are even water resistant to a point. Very rugged.

The one I had before this was the Samsung Rugby, the salesgeek assured me it was bulletproof, but it did not survive falling out of my shirt pocket on to concrete when I bent over to tie my boots. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Older Rider said:

I don't have any info to offer on phone mounts, but I can recommend a rugged smart phone.

I have gone through a few that could not stand up to falls and compressions but I have owned a CAT model B15  for 3 or 4 years it has been reliable. They are even water resistant to a point. Very rugged.

The one I had before this was the Samsung Rugby, the salesgeek assured me it was bulletproof, but it did not survive falling out of my shirt pocket on to concrete when I bent over to tie my boots. 

Ya I'm currently using a Rugby and another as a backup cus i got them for free from my work when we upgraded our cell plan and IMO they've been really rugged phones and have taken some good hits but my case/mount is a hard/padded case. Not waterproof but water resistant.

My collection of links etc for mounts when researching and look around the sites as needed.

https://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=249

https://www.ebay.es/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Waterproof Bike Bicycle Handlebar Mount Holder Case For iPhone 6 Galaxy S5 S4 S3&_itemId=390972739915

https://www.scosche.com/

https://www.rammount.com/

https://sw-motech.com/en/start.htm

http://www.trail-rail.com/

https://holeshotinc.com/products/smart-pad

https://havik-accessories-and-apparel.myshopify.com/products/havik-motobar-case

If your using a ram mount look at using a lanyard attached to the phone or a method to ensure you don't loose it.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:12 PM, Craig Dieterich said:

I've seen lot of different phone mounts for off road use. Which one do you use? I'm not so concerned with my phone falling out of them, but more about the constant vibration killing my phone. What are your experiences?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cellphone-Universal-Smartphones-Handlebars/dp/B075T71KN7

$12, easy to attach/move from bike to bike. vibrations are absorbed. it moves and flexes in crashes instead of breaking.

the best phones to use are the Samsung rugby pro

Samsung s5 active

Kyocera duraforce xd

or just use whatever you have now, but i normally suggest one of the waterproof models from above. I've been doing this for years, it's not a big deal anymore. rinse the mud off in s mud puddle keep riding. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ohgood said:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cellphone-Universal-Smartphones-Handlebars/dp/B075T71KN7

$12, easy to attach/move from bike to bike. vibrations are absorbed. it moves and flexes in crashes instead of breaking.

Samsung s5 active

Kyocera duraforce xd

or just use whatever you have now, but i normally suggest one of the waterproof models from above. I've been doing this for years, it's not a big deal anymore. rinse the mud off in s mud puddle keep riding. 

Thanks for the mount link cus as you said looks easy to put or transfer from bike to bike. Also I like the rubber bands that secure the phone to the mount which is what I alluded to in my previous post 🙂

This is getting into your using a cell phone as a GPS topic but.....

Without discussing apps/functionality , personally think the 3 issues with using a phone are.....

1) loosing it- could also apply to dedicated GPS's so obviously a GOOD mount and a tether if needed. Hence if I REALLY need to depend on using a GPS I carry a running backup in secured/waterproofed in my pack.

2) waterproof - I think a dedicated GPS would be better but this would be if the unit was completely submerged in water. Hence my comment above but then their are phones/vases etc that can be submerged but for me as long as they are water resilient (rain) which my normal phone is I have no issues.

3) cracking the screen or destroying the phone (durability) - Again I think a dedicated GPS would be better BUT as you posted there are rugged phones (and again my Rugby Pro has taken a shit kicking).  Mounts/location/phone cases etc can deal with this then if you are submerging/crashing/hitting stuff regularly you might have bigger issues or you are a bad ass EXTREME rider.

I've got 3 Samsung Galaxy Primes. 2 are future dedicated GPS and the other one is my day to day phone. My boss got them with the rubber inner case and hard outer case IMO they can take a good impact and should work as I need them to 🙂

20181201_110148.jpg.975937e168e1a865df9c0c42dd5fbe13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

23 hours ago, Older Rider said:

I have owned a CAT model B15  for 3 or 4 years it has been reliable. They are even water resistant to a point. Very rugged.

I love my CAT S41. Rugged, waterproof (fairly seriously) giant battery. Its not the fastest phone for the price, but it sure is rugged.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, ohgood said:

Samsung s5 active

Kyocera duraforce xd

Ya I don't buy off Amazon (Last time I checked the didn't take PayPal) so found/ordered it on Ebay for $30 CDN including shipping and thanks for this cus I think the phone holder bands will stretch enough to work with the case and should fit around the 7/8" bar pad perfectly  🙂

s-l400.jpg

A re post from your other topic but I've now got 2 deactivated Galaxy Primes and spent about 2hrs on one of them hard resetting, turning off everything not needed, downloading Oruxmaps/Avenza and copying over a 800MB Garmin Topo and PDF maps.

I like the larger screen and might sell or give away the 2 smaller Rugby's

20181208_111318.jpg.69853ff5232d6e6f87e37fa1caf792c4.jpgScreenshot_2018-12-08-15-33-29.thumb.png.bd8d7aeb9233b19be3188f125c162182.png

Going to mirror the 2nd one as a back up at some point 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, filterx said:

Ya I don't buy off Amazon (Last time I checked the didn't take PayPal) so found/ordered it on Ebay for $30 CDN including shipping and thanks for this cus I think the phone holder bands will stretch enough to work with the case and should fit around the 7/8" bar pad perfectly  :)

s-l400.jpg

A re post from your other topic but I've now got 2 deactivated Galaxy Primes and spent about 2hrs on one of them hard resetting, turning off everything not needed, downloading Oruxmaps/Avenza and copying over a 800MB Garmin Topo and PDF maps.

I like the larger screen and might sell or give away the 2 smaller Rugby's

20181208_111318.jpg.69853ff5232d6e6f87e37fa1caf792c4.jpgScreenshot_2018-12-08-15-33-29.thumb.png.bd8d7aeb9233b19be3188f125c162182.png

Going to mirror the 2nd one as a back up at some point :)

i really like the rugby pros, but their Bluetooth version is too old for my heart rate monitor. i really wish there was another galaxy s5 type of phone, not too big, removable battery, etc ... but right now I'm stuck with the kyocera

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 6:12 PM, Craig Dieterich said:

i use a ram mount and a ip68 rated phone. never had an issue with it falling. for extra security im going to add a velcro to the back. The phone I use is kyocera. i might make a YT video on it since I think its a game changer....esp if you have miles and miles of trails like we have in CO. I need a map to get back. a lot of my friends like it. only 70$ and can be dropped, wet, dirt, mud etc. i use back country maps. its 10$ but so worth it! best app ever used. 

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 1