Where to go from Colorado for New Years riding?

I have a 4 day weekend for New Years and I'm trying to find somewhere to head from Denver. I like desert riding. I'd like to keep it within 8-10 hours?

1. Red Sands OHV - Alamagordo, NM and surrounding. Am I dreaming that it wont be freezing cold? I see avg highs of 58 in January.

2. Big Bend NP. Could just head south if NM is too cold?

3.  Southern AZ. Hot Well Dunes, Tucson area (probably too far for only 4 days)

Thanks for any suggestions! 

Edited by mostexcellentdude

On 11/29/2018 at 9:54 PM, mostexcellentdude said:

I have a 4 day weekend for New Years and I'm trying to find somewhere to head from Denver. I like desert riding. I'd like to keep it within 8-10 hours?

1. Red Sands OHV - Alamagordo, NM and surrounding. Am I dreaming that it wont be freezing cold? I see avg highs of 58 in January.

2. Big Bend NP. Could just head south if NM is too cold?

3.  Southern AZ. Hot Well Dunes, Tucson area (probably too far for only 4 days)

Thanks for any suggestions! 

Red sands could be 60-70 degrees while you're there, but it could be 6-7 degrees, too.  Big bend would probably have decent weather.  I don't think there is much single track there, if that's what you're looking for.  Mostly dirt roads, but someone that's been there more than I have could correct me.  I used to race in a mtb race in Lajitas every February and it was mostly fore roads with some single track.   Southern AZ would be your best bet, weather wise.

• Like 1

Used to say Montessa Park/The Dig, Detention Dunes, 9 mile Hill, Southern/Northern Blvd in Albuquerque were all great places to go ride and an easy run from Denver... but they’re in Albuquerque and nowadays you stand a pretty good chance of getting all your shit jacked and sold in Mexico since APD was neutered by Eric Holder’s DoJ. ?

• Like 1

Used to say Montessa Park/The Dig, Detention Dunes, 9 mile Hill, Southern/Northern Blvd in Albuquerque were all great places to go ride and an easy run from Denver... but they’re in Albuquerque and nowadays you stand a pretty good chance of getting all your shit jacked and sold in Mexico since APD was neutered by Eric Holder’s DoJ. [emoji1787]

LOL don’t hold back TGP.

And here I was worried about running into Walter and Jesse cooking up some Heisenberg Blue in the Motorhome...[emoji1787]
  • Haha 1