Sign in to follow this  

KLX250S to 300 with AHL kit?

Anyone here gone from 250 -> 300 using the chinese AHL kit?

I've read that the cam adjuster does not line up perfectly, but otherwise it seems to work fine.

How did you find the improvement.. especially offroad? Was it worth it?

What jetting changes were required? 

I need to keep this under $200 so the cheap AHL kit is my only option.

Thanks

I did that kit recently on my 14'. The gaskets supplied were replaced with the Cometic kit for the KLX300. The head gasket did not line up properly with all the coolant ports. The lower cam tension spring holder bolt (#92153) was tool long and put pressure on the plastic chain guide instead of allowing the spring to apply pressure. I just trimmed it down about 4.5mm. Everything else went smoothly. I used all factory torque specs.

Current jetting is idle circuit drilled .018", idle jet K40, main K140, Dynajet 2152 needle at 2nd slot from top, Dynajet spring. I have a UNI filter, lid on air box without snorkel, full FMF exhaust. I'm in Dallas, Tx at appx. 750' elevation. 

When I originally bought the bike, I dropped the front sprocket one tooth for a little better power. Now I want to go back to stock gearing to take advantage of the higher cruise speed. Going 300cc was a nice seat of the pants difference. 

I had a K35 and a K128 before. It will be interesting to see what happens to mpg. It's cold and rainy in Dallas right now and with holidays and colder weather coming, might be a bit before I can get a real feel for all the changes.

Installed this kit yesterday. Was reluctant because things generally do not go smoothly for me, but in this case it went fine. Took all day... I did not mess with jetting since my bike was running on the rich side.  Jetting seems spot on based on how it feels. It definitely is stronger and sounds deeper.  Pulling wheelies without clutch is now easy in 2nd gear with a little pull and correct timing.

I am running 13/44.  Wheelies in first gear are effortless just throttle and a litte tug.

Will definitely be more fun in the single track.

I used the provided gaskets. The two misaligned holes are not really an issue imo since coolant flows from bottom up, entering on that side.

Edited by Florida Gliderpilot

So is your jetting stock with the Keihin CVK carb, or did you start out with something other than stock?