Video: Goldentyre review, good tires for bad conditions and people

@cougbike and I decided to test out the GT Fatty and the GT333 N is for gNarly... at Tahuya in wicked awful conditions. 

It ain't pretty out there...

Folks, at ThumperTalk we have @Jeff aka Bolt that sells these tires and he is the guy that hooked me up with mine. Fast and cheap delivery costs, and Jeff knows his stuff. 

So, if you wanna get this high powered combo, contact Jeff and he'll get you the right combo and size for your bike. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I run the shinkos for half the cost

You get what you pay for.

Shinko uses the same mold, uses crap materials. A Shinko will only last 1/3 of what a GT Tire does. GT also weighs significantly less. 

Most folks know that nothing is "exactly the same but half the cost"....aka a convenient lie. 

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

do they make bad people good?

You saw the video. Answer...is...no. 

• Like 3

Just now, TigerTanker said:

Shinko uses the same mold, uses crap materials. A Shinko will only last 1/3 of what a GT Tire does. GT also weighs significantly less. 

Most folks know that nothing is "exactly the same but half the cost"....aka a convenient lie. 

Yes FIM tires that are regulated to smaller knobs are going to be lighter. My 525's and 505 both outlasted the GT rear, can't really say on the front as I haven't worn it out yet. 

You know Shinko made GT's tires before moving production to china right? They cut cost while maintaining their mark up. It's half the price because you aren't paying for the Pro's sponsorship deals 

• Like 1

Well, if you are happy with what you ride then good for you! And at half the cost!

Plenty of folks can't afford the best out there, nor does their terrain or riding ability warrant that kind of spending. But, for folks that want the best...

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I run the shinkos for half the cost

So you like flying off knobs and changing tires twice as often...  and repeating the lies you've been told.  :lol:

The truth is out...  the lies exposed...  even Slavens has back tracked and gone back to Goldentyre once he sold a bunch of Shinko to his clients.  OUCH

I never picked a brand...  we sell both...  Goldentyre to the folks that know...  and Shinko to those that don't.  I am honest and explain the difference...  but if the guy uses one tire a year it doesn't much matter which one he uses.  I say if you are the kind of rider that rots a tire off your bike before you wear it out...  buy the cheapest thing you can find.

And I'll add if you are truly paying twice as much for a Goldentyre then you are a terrible shopper. :smirk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

GT doesn't pay anyone to use their tires, in fact I think even all the pros pay for them. It's a distinction and source of pride from GT. Additionally, KTM went to GT and asked to be paid to use GT tires. GT declined. 

I like people and business that are ethical. 

Slaven's really sold himself out with that exactly the same at half the price claim. Cheapened his brand that way. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Well, if you are happy with what you ride then good for you! And at half the cost!

Plenty of folks can't afford the best out there, nor does their terrain or riding ability warrant that kind of spending. But, for folks that want the best...

TRUTH...  look at your tire cost PER SEASON.  Most guys that really ride their bikes will not spend more on Goldentyres PER SEASON.

If you are a one tire per year kinda guy does spending $20 more for the better tire really matter ?

If you are using two, three or more tires per year Goldentyre will probably cost you less because they work better and OUTLAST the cheap tires. 

Buying the knock off means wearing it out faster...  tossing knobs...  changing tires more often...  to save $15-20 per tire... NOT HALF.  That's just BS told by the distributor to the Shinko dealers who told the lie for a few months.   You know the old tale...  tell a lie loud enough, long enough and people starting repeating it like parrots.

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Yes FIM tires that are regulated to smaller knobs are going to be lighter. My 525's and 505 both outlasted the GT rear, can't really say on the front as I haven't worn it out yet. 

You know Shinko made GT's tires before moving production to china right? They cut cost while maintaining their mark up. It's half the price because you aren't paying for the Pro's sponsorship deals 

Man you are about as ILL INFORMED as ever I have seen.  Feel free to call me to LEARN THE TRUTH so you can quit parroting this nonsense.

I will happily give you the inside story...  and you can go verify my facts to your hearts content.  But right now you are just repeating bullshit that was propagated largely but a big wholesale distributor that bought into the Shinko line.  You have been HAD.

Honestly man...  feel free to call...  anytime...  8m to 8pm...  8 days a week...  760-8l3-l52l

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I went on a 35 day West N America Road Trip. One front tire on my 450 the entire way and then some more at home. The Fatty got 2000 miles on a nitro mousse covering; pavement, slick rock, single track, rocky terrain in the Rockies, Mexican gravel roads, sand dunes...from 60 degrees to 110 Fahrenheit..... I replaced at 2k, but could have probably belted out another 500-1000 miles on it. My experience with the GT rear is only 4 rides deep, but so far it's performing very well. The 333 is NOT a specialty tire, it's an all around tire and so far it's doing a bit better than I'd think on some stuff you'd probably want a gummy tire on.

For example, this place, area 51 is very tire demanding.... I've got one ride on the 333 at Area 51 and it did very well in the very steep slippery rocky muddy stuff. Perhaps their gummy would be even better, may just try that because the riders of 51 talk tons of shit and when you go there you're expect to be super man....kinda like snake pit in Cali. 

42 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

There is some misstruth in there too...  Shinko is heavier because they have a thicker tire using an old carcass design.  Goldentyre is stronger yet lighter...  GEN5 is far from the days of GEN3 that was produced by Shinko.  And anyone that thinks getting good rubber is cheaper or easier in Korea vs China is just nuts.  The China thing is a slur used by the distributor and repeated here to IMPLY lesser quality.  And again if you believe that you would be WRONG. 

This is old news fellas.  Shinko has it's place.  But lets use facts instead of lies and assertions and slurs that are false. :cheers:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

So you like flying off knobs and changing tires twice as often...  and repeating the lies you've been told.  :lol:

The truth is out...  the lies exposed...  even Slavens has back tracked and gone back to Goldentyre once he sold a bunch of Shinko to his clients.  OUCH

I never picked a brand...  we sell both...  Goldentyre to the folks that know...  and Shinko to those that don't.  I am honest and explain the difference...  but if the guy uses one tire a year it doesn't much matter which one he uses.  I say if you are the kind of rider that rots a tire off your bike before you wear it out...  buy the cheapest thing you can find.

And I'll add if you are truly paying twice as much for a Goldentyre then you are a terrible shopper. :smirk:

I've had none of these issues. 

If you have ridden on both tires then you know the Shinko doesn't last as long, cracks knobs easily, and doesn't provide the traction that the GT does. Well, at least that is what my buddy and I've seen and were only B riders/racers. The difference in performance, even if I was replacing them 3+ times a year, the GT would still be way worth it. Of course, I don't have to replace the GT's like that as they last where as the Shinko starts to rip the knobs after one ride here in the AZ desert. Shinko got me once, but only once, on their copy.

• Like 3

As a past AZ rider also (moved to WA in Oct), I witnessed many riders using the Shinko tire. Was being promoted by a couple of dealers that attended the state off road championships. I was about to pull the trigger on a set but saying that; first they didn't/won't last as long as my Dunlop 81's. Most were getting maybe 2 to 3 rides before you could see knobs chunking. My 81's would get around 6 to maybe 9 if I was careful. Now living in WA the 81's are just to hard/slippery. And have seen the GT on pretty much every hard enduro racer in europe with pretty good success.... One doesn't get to see how long they last on a pro's bike because they pretty much change them after ever ride. But the locals sure loved the GT's..... So I think I'm going to try a set here shortly..... Just my 2 cents..... 

Edited by ride200mi
  • Like 2

Just got a 232, can’t wait to test it out in the NW gnar. The 120 is skinnier than I expected, especially compared to the 120 333. It’s about the same width as my 110 IRC VE33. It is a tall tire however.

I’ve been running the GT fatty for a while. I tried the shinko 216 copy and the side knobs started chunking quick. Also was 1.8lbs heavier. Won’t be going back to that tire.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SS109 said:

If you have ridden on both tires then you know the Shinko doesn't last as long, cracks knobs easily, and doesn't provide the traction that the GT does. Well, at least that is what my buddy and I've seen and were only B riders/racers. The difference in performance, even if I was replacing them 3+ times a year, the GT would still be way worth it. Of course, I don't have to replace the GT's like that as they last where as the Shinko starts to rip the knobs after one ride here in the AZ desert. Shinko got me once, but only once, on their copy.

9 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

I’ve been running the GT fatty for a while. I tried the shinko 216 copy and the side knobs started chunking quick. Also was 1.8lbs heavier. Won’t be going back to that tire.

More truth...  :worthy:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

One of the GT owner's sons races Moto. Have paid retail for all his tires. 

Thumpertalk will be doing a review on some GTs here soon as soon as I get em on my bike. 

A shinko is not a GT and never will be. Anyone who says they are is uninformed to say the least. 

The manufacturing process is completely different. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, Freemotion said:

One of the GT owner's sons races Moto. Have paid retail for all his tires. 

Ha Ha...  OK...  thats a little over stated...  be careful going too over board the other way. But I am looking forward to your review AFTER you actually see the tires in action.  :smirk:

It's taken Daxie a long time to show any interest in anything outside of Instagram.  So this is a good thing. :thumbsup: