Sign in to follow this  

CRF450L vs '19 WR450F

As the title suggests, has anyone ridden both? Ideally uncorked. Both bikes come heavily restricted here in UK. No sane person would leave them this way. Is the sound deadening and 6th worth the extra weight?

Both bikes appeal for enduro and rally raid adventures. Plenty of aftermarket stuff out there for RRing a WR, I'd imagine aftermarket 450L stuff will be more DS orientated. 

The fuel range and service intervals dont bother me on either bike. Both would get bigger tanks and i dont mind changing oil after every ride

Riding a '07 WR450F at present

Edited by Pancho_Jsy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho_Jsy said:

As the title suggests, has anyone ridden both? Ideally uncorked. Both bikes come heavily restricted here in UK. No sane person would leave them this way. Is the sound deadening and 6th worth the extra weight?

Both bikes appeal for enduro and rally raid adventures. Plenty of aftermarket stuff out there for RRing a WR, I'd imagine aftermarket 450L stuff will be more DS orientated. 

The fuel range and service intervals dont bother me on either bike. Both would get bigger tanks and i dont mind changing oil after every ride

Riding a '07 WR450F at present

I've not ridden both, just the 450L. So, I'll try to answer you questions there.

Is the sound deadening and 6th worth the extra weight? Not sure anyone can answer this question for you. It's all personal preference in what you value and what's most important to you. I really enjoyed the smoothness and quietness of the bike and didn't feel the bike was too heavy. I don't ride hard enduro, so I don't care. If I did, there are better options IMHO. For street, dirt/gravel roads and semi technical single track, I think the bike does very well out of the box.

Both bikes come heavily restricted here in UK. No sane person would leave them this way. I'd have to agree. No way I'd pay what the 450L costs and have to ride a castrated bike. Unfortunately, Honda was pretty tight lipped about the ability to remap the ECU, so just not sure how far mods can go.

Both would get bigger tanks and i dont mind changing oil after every ride. The 450L is not a touring bike. If you're riding 600 miles of paved and dirt roads on single ride, the 450L is the wrong bike IMHO. I don't see how it's possible to ride 600 miles of trails in a day let alone several days. If you're riding the bike for what Honda built it for,  changing the oil after every ride is a waste of time & money. Of course, anyone is free to spend both as they see fit.  Or, did you mean a "every ride" as in a riding trip that includes many days?

I guess I meant rides over several days. Some Rally Raid days can total >500km including road work. Coming from MX, an oil change every race weekend isn't an issue. I also read a review somewhere where the reviewer grilled the Honda test rider and the guy let slip that they were changing the oil every 2000km. I wouldn't dare do that on any enduro bike but worth bearing in mind for DS guys. 

Is 6th gear really tall? One bugbear with my '07 WR450F is with enduro gearing, the engine is revving quite high at 50mph on road. Not exactly pleasant. A tall 6th that let you at 50ish would be great

Regarding derestriction, I'm lucky enough to have access to a Dyno so even it needs a PCV it's not a huge issue. I'd be interested to know what's holding the EU model back. The WR450F comes with the 'offroad' kit so there's no extra spend to uncork it, which is a plus

Honda seems to be conservative on its oil change recommendations from what I've heard from others over the years. I can see that and wouldn't worry about pushing past the 600 mile mark a bit if you're using quality oils.

6 gear really tall? Not that I noticed. Meaning, there isn't some weird gap shifting from 5th to 6th. Plenty of legs for highways speeds too. I hit close to 80 and the bike had some left. 50mph roads are a breeze and the bike isn't over-reving by any means. I wouldn't want to sit on the highway at 75mph for 50 miles, even if the bike would do it. Zero interest in that and there are better bikes for that such as my KTM 690 or the KLR. 

I'm a fan of the 450L for sure. Out of the box, it's good. Those that say it sucks really should say it sucks for THEIR specific needs. I think Honda built a bike with a lot of capability and fun for where I think the majority of dual sport riders want to ride. 

• Like 2

Sounds like it has better road manners than most Enduro bikes then.

All the hate I've seen has come from KTM fan boys. Having had the unfortunate task of fixing many broken Orange bikes over the years I wouldn't touch one, in any flavour.  Of course it's not as powerful as a 690, nor does it have the range. I'm fine with that. You can keep your ABS and ride by wire. I'd like to do the odd MX event on it so a 690 is definitely the wrong bike. 

The price is a bit of a sticking point though. 2018 Yamaha is £8,000 on the road vs. £9,599 for the CRF450L

Does the CRF have a radiator fan? The WR does..    and fat bars

Edited by Pancho_Jsy

11 minutes ago, Pancho_Jsy said:

Sounds like it has better road manners than most Enduro bikes then.

All the hate I've seen has come from KTM fan boys. Having had the unfortunate task of fixing many broken Orange bikes over the years I wouldn't touch one, in any flavour.  Of course it's not as powerful as a 690, nor does it have the range. I'm fine with that. You can keep your ABS and ride by wire. I'd like to do the odd MX event on it so a 690 is definitely the wrong bike. 

The price is a bit of a sticking point though. 2019 Yamaha is £8,000 on the road vs. £9,599 for the CRF450L

Does the CRF have a radiator fan? The WR does..

I love KTM and really enjoy my 2017 690 Enduro R. But, gotta give cred where cred it due. Honda made a nice machine that I think fits somewhere between my 690 and the KTM 500. That's awesome IMHO! Just another flavor.  I've not been on a Yami since I sold my WR400F way back when. I'd seriously consider a WR450F if Yami US would make a go at the 450L. I asked them that very question at the American International MC Expo in Vegas in September and they smiled knowing they couldn't say either way.

Yes, the 450L has a radiator fan.

Would there be a better comparison between the CRF 450X and WR 450F? The X and L are as different as the L and the F.  the L is a true dual sport model, where the F and X are enduro/off-road models, unless they are spec'd differently in the UK.   The L has it's advantages, or disadvantages depending on your use of it. The additional weight on the L from emissions catalyst, noise reducing sprocket, case covers, low noise DOT tires, LED lighting, mirrors, turn signals, brake light, dampened swingarm, chain guard, and a motorcycle title. All of which the L MSRP ($10,399) is about $600 USD more than the X ($9,799)  or $800 more than the F ($9,599). For myself, in Ohio I can plate just about anything on 2 wheels, run knobbies on the street, a light on the front a tail light, brake light and turn signals, no inspection needed, and have done so with an XR400 and a CRF 230F, neither of which are enjoyable for more than a short run into town or 10- 15 miles at a time on pavement. Where the 450L I have no problem running 30-40 miles on pavement, I didn't have to add the lights, brake light/switch, turn signals, or head to the DMV for a affidavit of body change and apply for a new motorcycle title. Those are the reason the L is worth the $600-$800 dollars more for me. All the while still very capable of midwestern US dual sport events on the red routes which are very commonly entwined into the enduro/hare scramble event hosted a few week prior. My only gripe, I just wish it wasn't sprung so stiff.  

18 hours ago, Pancho_Jsy said:

You're correct, the 450X and Wr450 are a better comparison but the 450x (RX in the UK) is not road legal, doesn't come with lights or any road gear. 

The RX is a different bike to the X (it's like the yz450fx is to wr450f).

I agree the 2019 crf450x is a better comparison to the new 2019 wr450f though I doubt the 2019 crf450x will be available in the UK as an official bike due to the fact it isn't road legal/homologated.

That's the question mark over the 2019 wr450f too. The outsiders enduro team have retired from WEC on account the new WR isn't homologated. ?