Sign in to follow this  

cooling fan on 65sx

Anyone ever messed around w/ a fan on a 65sx?  My son and I primarily ride mountainous trails and every now and again his bike gets hot enough to boil.  Or any other ideas on ways to cool it?

Slightly richer jetting may help in cooling but, will make it prone to foul/spooge.

Unless there are charging coils available ($$$)

the only way to power an e-fan would be to install some form of rechargeable battery pack on the bike and,

selectively switching it on only when required to prolong the battery's charge.

A higher PSI cap and quality coolant will delay the boil-over but not make it run cooler.

Of course an SX65 isn't the ideal trail bike in tight stop and go terrain,

if that's your main interest, perhaps consider something else than an MX race bike when he outgrows it.

Edited by mlatour

I have been wondering about a PCU fan, they have a very small electrical draw.  I'll have to check what the output is on the stator.

I agree that the SX is not designed as a trail bike, but I think it's better than most of the other options out there considering performance /weight.  I'd been assuming to move him to an 85sx when he outgrows this bike but I'm wide open to suggestions of what would be a better option.

Edited by RodRoo

How tall, heavy is he ?   (age, growing fast ?)

IMO if no jumping or high speed maneuvers are involved (MX style riding)

pretty much any entry level, air-cooled 4-stroke bike would be better suited to mountainous trails / stop-and-go type riding than a hyper MX race bike.

i'd start by flushing the radiators or get them chemically cleaned. performance of radiators really drops after a few years of use.

i agree the sx65 is the best but not ideal for what you are doing. air cooled 4 strokes are heavy and slow by comparison. The biggest issue with the 65 is the turning circle which is super-tanker like but doesn't seem to have a fix. Once you get to an 85 things get better.

• Like 1

FFMan, for whatever reason I'd assumed the internals of the radiator were in good shape.  The bike is '99 model and was in really great condition when I bought it so I suppose I just made assumptions.  But, the radiator was probably never been cared (out of sight out of mind) for by the previous owner and the water in our area has fairly high mineral content.  Add to that the fact that distilled water is not readily available in our area and you end up with a gunked up radiator.  When I shown a light down in there and did what I could do to look down the cores, I noticed that they look to have corrosion in them.  

Thanks for the reminder to check the obvious.