Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

NEW TO THE CLUB! 2018 TE300

Recommended Posts

I couldn't be more excited about my new purchase of a 2018 TE300, I was originally shooting for the TE300i but I couldn't pass up on the price. I haven't had a two stroke since my old kx65, yz85 days and I am stoked to say the least! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as bikes have changed significantly since my previous bike (2007 yz250f). I've been on a 4 year riding hiatus due to my career path and not being able to risk injury. I live in CA and ride anywhere between 1500 - 6000 ft, I would prefer to not mess with jetting on the regular so I would like to get it set up so that I don't have to worry about it non stop. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated..

ps I was so excited that she slept inside the first night.

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Edited by ryan_gled
added something
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying these 300s seems to be turning into an epidemic. I just got one myself and I am just thrilled to death can't wait to ride it.

Edited by Wrfrk
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 17' TE300 - the RK Tech Head was the biggest improvement I made.  I recommend one...even considering the cost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the usual protection stuff...skid plate, bark busters...etc.  The improvements that stand out to me are

  • A new reed set from mototasinarI (butchered the spelling on that ) 
  • LED headlight from baja designs (I ride public trails w/ 2 way traffic all the time) that head light is SUPER BRIGHT and really gets peoples attention early. 
  • Tubliss system & Tire slime really helps
  • RK Techhead
  • Riser handlebars...I stand most of the time and that helps w/ reach. 

You're going to really love it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 300s are a blast! So light, crawl, rip, whatever you want. I was riding a 16 450sxf, bought a nice 08, loved it, then got an 18 tx300 two.weeks later. So much fun. Sold the 450.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

comparing the Austrian 250 to the Austrian 300 and it's very clear the 300 is where it's at. However, with the Beta, the 250 feels more like a 275. Love both my Beta and KTM 300s. As far as I'm concerned, go 300 or stay home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, shrubitup said:

comparing the Austrian 250 to the Austrian 300 and it's very clear the 300 is where it's at. However, with the Beta, the 250 feels more like a 275. Love both my Beta and KTM 300s. As far as I'm concerned, go 300 or stay home!

I would argue that.. i rode both the 18 te 250 and 300 on a test track and was faster on the 250 everytime.. hence i bought the 250..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the helpful replies! The first things I've added is a scotts stabilizer, FMF turbinecore 2.1 and my bike is in the shop getting the suspension re-valved and re-sprung. I can't believe how the suspension comes from the factory, they'll be adding a stiffer spring with some revalving in the front forks and a softer spring with revalve in the rear, i weigh 170 and was bottoming the front end out so hard multiple times throughout my rides that my wrist hurt! I stuck with the stock jetting on my first ride and climbed from 2400-5500 feet and didn't have any problems, slightly richer at the top as to be expected, but until the carb starts giving me issues, I'll keep it as is. 

Edited by ryan_gled
fix spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scottwr12345 said:

I would argue that.. i rode both the 18 te 250 and 300 on a test track and was faster on the 250 everytime.. hence i bought the 250..

Tracks and mountainous, slippery wet wooded trails are very different related to traction and power preferences. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Tracks and mountainous, slippery wet wooded trails are very different related to traction and power preferences. 

Sorry i should have mentioned the 'track' i was talking about was a bush circuit lol. Cant deny the low end of a 300 though. Either way congrats op you will not be disappointed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ryan_gled said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies! The first things I've added is a scotts stabilizer, FMF turbinecore 2.1 and my bike is in the shop getting the suspension re-valved and re-sprung. I can't believe how the suspension comes from the factory, they'll be adding a stiffer spring with some revalving in the front forks and a softer spring with revalve in the rear, i weigh 170 and was bottoming the front end out so hard multiple times throughout my rides that my wrist hurt! I stuck with the stock jetting on my first ride and climbed from 2400-5500 feet and didn't have any problems, slightly richer at the top as to be expected, but until the carb starts giving me issues, I'll keep it as is. 

Ryan -

I should have added this before.  I ride at 700' - 2,000'.  I took delivery on my bike in early spring; my first couple weekend rides were in temps the 30's/40's/50's (From MN).  A month later temps rose to 80's and I was stranded at the trail head with a bike that wouldn't get out of first gear due to bad jetting/settings. 

I ended up paying for the JD jet kit and have been trouble free since.  You may not need it; but i did. 

BUT - this was my first real bike and the first I bought new.  I didn't then (still don't) know much about jetting.  This probably could have been fixed by someone more experienced...but it left me not able to ride that weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd how different the suspension comes out of the box from country to country, mine was pretty good minus a few clicker adjustments out of the box. Im around 95-100 kg with all my gear on. Aussie here.. first thing i did was swiss cheese the airbox.. not sure if the 19s have the same issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same bike, I’ve done nothing to it and ride sea level to 4000 ft. It smokes a bit at higher elevation but I have a 100% stock set up with turbine core slip on and have had no issues

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man buddy I know how you feel, I just got one too, 2018 TE 300 all I had to do is a JD jet kit , radiator fan, shock link skid plate and ride on, I’m coming off a 1981 Maico 490 and my trail bike believe it or not was a Honda CR250R so I had to learn how to ride all over, letting it bog down was the biggest change because I was alway up on the pipe, but man I love this bike it goes places I never dreamed of going, enjoy it brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, ryan_gled said:

I couldn't be more excited about my new purchase of a 2018 TE300, I was originally shooting for the TE300i but I couldn't pass up on the price. I haven't had a two stroke since my old kx65, yz85 days and I am stoked to say the least! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as bikes have changed significantly since my previous bike (2007 yz250f). I've been on a 4 year riding hiatus due to my career path and not being able to risk injury. I live in CA and ride anywhere between 1500 - 6000 ft, I would prefer to not mess with jetting on the regular so I would like to get it set up so that I don't have to worry about it non stop. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated..

ps I was so excited that she slept inside the first night.

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

I picked up the same bike from Veys last month! it is an amazing machine to say the least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...