Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike shift problem, never seen it before and I need y'all's help!

So I was riding my dirt bike and everything was working fine but then I went to shift into third gear and I couldn't shift, i could shift it back into first gear but it was very hard, and when I shift into first gear, my shift lever gets stuck down, same with shifting up into second, it gets stuck in the up position. If you need a better explanation I can give it, I have the motor out right now, just don't know where to start looking 

Edited by Graham Vandermark

Might be clutch is warped / dragging or damage to the mechanism inside (shift dogs, drum, shafts). Does it shift smoothly with the engine off, just running the shift lever through by hand?

18 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Is bike a rm125 by chance?

Yes it is!

24 minutes ago, ster1 said:

Might be clutch is warped / dragging or damage to the mechanism inside (shift dogs, drum, shafts). Does it shift smoothly with the engine off, just running the shift lever through by hand?

It's the same whether running or not 

Well if isn't anything with shift mechanism its the shift drum. They get wear spot and fork gets stuck. Ive done a lot of rm125s with that same  problem. 

Sure sounds like an internal problem. Drum or dog, or something like that. I bet you'll see it when you get it apart. Look for worn / broken parts, and replace em. You'll have to split the cases unfortunately. 

18 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Broken shift lever return spring? Same thing happened to my FJ1200.

Same thing on my ktm recently. The spring was located under the clutch side cover behind the clutch, as your RM 125 should be, so no need to split the case. Hopefully, that's your problem and not the transmission internals.

Image.gif.82b72f6e7007151cd92c02a06940b243.gif

• Like 1

Like i said above ive done 15-20 of these rm125s either stuck in gear or wont shift past a gear. Everytime was shiftdrum were the fork rounds gets wore and wont go past oe gets stuck.  Luckily its cheap fix if do yourself.  Hopefully you find something like above poster said but i doubt it.  Goodluck ?

• Like 1

If the lever is getting stuck, its probably in the ratchet which is item 9.  If the transmission gears are getting stuck, the shifter will still move up and down within the play of the ratchet itself. If the gears are binding on the shafts, that's another issue. That could bind the lever, and the drum because the forks cant slide the gears back and forth on the shafts. Suzukis are notoriously difficult to get the cases split without a case splitter, unless youve done it before. For whatever reason, Suzuki loves that interference fit on the main shaft to left side main shaft bearing. More often than not, you need to give it a good, educated whack when they go back to set the main shaft in a neutral position. MjEzMDM2Mw-26889fc9.png