Sign in to follow this  

Best way to remove paint from plastics.

Hey Crew, would like advice before trying to remove spray paint from plastic tank shrouds, was thinking straight up paint stripper but thought it may eat into plastic as it’s a caustic product. Thoughts? Andy out.

Pressue washer will blow it off. Mineral spirits  will wipe it off. 

• Like 2

Someone once posted here to use brake fluid for removing paint from plastic

What kind of bike? Aftermarket plastic is cheap making it not worth the effort to mess with the painted stuff.

They are genuine Yamaha WR200 tank shrouds, which are as rare as rocking horse shit & I don’t wanna stuff em up. Andy out.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

They are genuine Yamaha WR200 tank shrouds, which are as rare as rocking horse shit & I don’t wanna stuff em up. Andy out.
Yeah, that's not an easy one.

The bike was only in the states for a few years but had a much longer run internationally. I believe it is known as the DT 200 elsewhere. Include that in your search criteria and definitely search world wide. Good luck.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, HevyRotashunz said:

I wouldn't use paint stripper. Hit it with a heat gun and see if you can get it to release at all, might just peel off in a film.

Careful with a heat gun though, ive had it almost bake it in making it much harder to remove.

• Like 2

IMG_0517.JPG this works good I used it on a bike I rebuilt that was covered in spray paint it didn’t wreak the plastics but I would still make sure it won’t hurt
You can get it at NAPA

+1 for brake fluid.

Softens up the paint and it peels right off. Submerging the part is ideal but you can brush it on or soak paper towels and cover the part. I did my gas tank ('95 WR250) by brushing it on. It took a couple days and some reapplication for it to penetrate the 3 or 4 layers of paint but left the tank nice.

Thanks heaps to all of you with your feedback on this issue. Tried all the agents & methods advised, & the winner is good old DOT4 brake fluid doused paper towels laid on overnight. Only drawback, I love most smells that are to do with motors & such but the smell & feel of brake fluid gives me the heebygeebies. Roosta out.

• Like 3