How do you ride perpendicular to a slope/mountain?

tried this the other day because there was a huge tree in the middle of the trail..gas was running low and no way for me to go back. I tried going on the mountain side (down slope not the slope going up) like the arrow I have in the image but I was incredibly nervous about doing it, so I just got off and push it myself. The little that I did, i just felt like I was going to slip. Im not talking about the upper part, i can do that with momentum, but going on the lower part downgrade part im not sure if its even possible!? (if that makes sense)

image.png.18168e29a51447414d5efc0499ecb020.png

It looks rideable, at least if it isn’t muddy. The soil looks like it has good traction, especially with the grass unless it’s very wet. I’d take it very slow with as much of my weight as possible on the outside (downhill) peg. You’ll need to use low engine rpms and your clutch to allow very slow forward progress while avoiding tire spin while stopping if necessary. Use your uphill foot to very gently dab when necessary as you slightly lean into the hill to avoid high siding and falling down the hill. Stay low over the bike, again pushing as much weight as possible onto your downhill peg. Press the inside of your right knee (riding as depicted by your arrow) against your right shroud to stabilize the bike and to keep it from tilting away from the hill. If you must sit, sit on the outside of your seat with your butt crack to load the outside of your bike for better traction. However, sit as lightly as possible, holding your weight with your right leg as it applies traction into the hill. If the front or rear tire slip, apply more weight there. For example, press a lot of weight into your right handgrip as you turn back up the hill to prevent the front tire from slipping.

Two more advanced techniques which may work here. Use the rear brake, since it’s available as this is basically a left hand turn, to work against engine power to drive the rear tire into the ground for more traction. Also. As you head back up the slope to rejoin the trail, you can attempt little wheelies by placing more weight on the seat and popping the front wheel up. You can do this from a stop,holding the bike with the rear brake. Start by leaning the bike into the hill supporting it’s weight as necessary with your uphill boot against the hill. Use the slow wheelie technique. Push down into the bars and as they rebound, release the brake as you add gentle power and allow your body weight to fall back to eventually allow your straight arms to pull your upper body weight back over the rear tire as it applies a pulling pressure to the bars. Keep weighting your outside peg during all this as you lean left to avoid wheelying down the hill. Continue to support yourself against the ground with your left leg. This should allow your front wheel to loft gently and rotate left.

Edit: If you can’t pull off this small wheelie technique, make sure to put a lot of weight on the front tire as you turn it into the hill for traction. If you find either tire slipping, apply weight there for traction, which is a good general rule for all your dirt bike riding. Another way to position the bike facing back uphill (which should occur on it’s own if attempted wheelies fail) is to lean the bike hard into the hill as you keep it from falling by supporting it’s weight with your left foot. Apply a quick little throttle/clutch blip to break rear wheel traction so it slides a bit down the hill.

Once the bike is repositioned so it’s facing more uphill you can handle it just like climbing any steep hill. Weight your rear tire while seated and modulate your clutch to deliver smooth power to avoid wheelspin. Yo can lift your body off the seat and drop it back down as you simultaneously add power to momentarily add much more weight (traction) to the rear tire.

All of this is done at very slow speed, requiring good clutch control. From zero to maybe one or two mph. It’s tricky to describe, so I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2018 at 4:26 PM, sixdaysoffun said:

Always go the up hill side of a obstacle, not the down side. If you go on the down side and cant get it back up hill your SOL and in a bigger mess.

yeah i usually do but this time it was straight vertical haha! this wasnt the exact location 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:46 PM, RideWithWill said:

tried this the other day because there was a huge tree in the middle of the trail..gas was running low and no way for me to go back. I tried going on the mountain side (down slope not the slope going up) like the arrow I have in the image but I was incredibly nervous about doing it, so I just got off and push it myself. The little that I did, i just felt like I was going to slip. Im not talking about the upper part, i can do that with momentum, but going on the lower part downgrade part im not sure if its even possible!? (if that makes sense)

image.png.18168e29a51447414d5efc0499ecb020.png

You absolutely did the right thing. If you get the bike stuck you can still walk out, you can't if you attempt something above your ability and end up under it, or worse.

As far as the right way to ride it, I would echo exactly what motorock advises. Now go find somewhere safe and practice for next time.

8 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

You absolutely did the right thing. If you get the bike stuck you can still walk out, you can't if you attempt something above your ability and end up under it, or worse.

As far as the right way to ride it, I would echo exactly what motorock advises. Now go find somewhere safe and practice for next time.

ya thanks man! exactly what im going to do. do often do I ride around a "downward" mountain. I dont think i would even attempt this with my quad lol. might go and find a place to practice this on my bike