Sign in to follow this  

Best DRZ400 chain/sprocket combo deals?

My chain have some links that dont move nicely, time to change it...

Who has the best deal for chain and sprocket combo?

What about the set offered at ROCKY MOUNTAIN  (Primary Drive) any good ?

Primary drive are great. Get steel front and rear sprockets and an O-ring or X-ring chain. They last a long time and are relatively cheap. Been using them for years.

7 hours ago, Hallowed said:

I run jt steel sprockets front and rear and a jt xring chain. whole deal coats about 100 and they have a large selection of sprocket sizes.

I haven't run mine yet, but this is what I will be using. it is a 520

so I got some screaming deal, on the chain, BUT it is crazy long.... it was $20 but has 150 links! it's cool though, I have some extra practice links to figure out how to properly press the rivets.

I did get the motion pro PBR. I like it, feels like a good unit. I removed my old chain with it, after grinding off the pin heads first with an angle grinder

Edited by 74jimbo

13 hours ago, CAPT ED said:

What about the set offered at ROCKY MOUNTAIN  (Primary Drive) any good ?

So far so good, seems to be holding up very well. About 8k miles, 2 adjustments (at most, who keeps track of this?) I'm running stock rear and 14 tooth front, all dirt miles.

Edited by shuswap1

$20.00 for 150 pin chain!! Sounds more like a chain for lifting than a high speed roller drive chain.  Internet or out of the trunk of a car in a back alley?

$20.00 for 150 pin chain!! Sounds more like a chain for lifting than a high speed roller drive chain.  Internet or out of the trunk of a car in a back alley?
I was kinda thinking the same thing.. last non O ring chain I had caused some major issues on a multi state tour. Would never get another non O ring chain..

No, it is a JT Sprockets X ring chain.

JT Sprockets JTC520X1R2150DL Steel 150-Link Heavy Duty X-Ring Drive Chain (520 X1R2)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone !!

Im changing them now. I noticed i have some rubbing on the shift lever, kinda a weird.20181203_112548.jpeg

Thanks everyone !!

Im changing them now. I noticed i have some rubbing on the shift lever, kinda a weird.20181203_112548.thumb.jpeg.1bca417e6186efe378d98ed246359d1c.jpeg
You can loosen it up and move it farther inboard on the splines
  • Like 3

Your shifter is out too far . There is a groove inboard on the shaft made for the shifter bolt ot pass and prevent the shifter from ever sliding off , even if it's loose .

A HammerHead shifter ? Doesn't fit when installed all the way ?

I bought one set of Primary Drive sprocket & chain for my Raptor going out sand duning , the set was 70% shot in one day of riding(that quad and conditions is extreme but showed quickly weeds out lesser components) . Last set I've ever tried and switched to DID chain and JT or Sunstar sprockets , can't remember the last time I had to actually tighten the adjusters on anything , even in the dunes .

Edited by jjktmrider

I moved it back.
On that msr shifter the bolt doesnt go in the groove (bad design i guess) u coukd just loose it up and just slide the shifter out....

I havean msr +1 shifter and the bolt does go through the groove. The groove is actually on the shift splines

I havean msr +1 shifter and the bolt does go through the groove. The groove is actually on the shift splines
I have the same shifter but i could put it in. Without removing the bolt. Usually it need to be removed completly to put the shifter in , align with groove and screw it in . but not here..

After time the shifter comes loose , stretches and have even seen the splines wear out that the shifter don't shit ! Should check tightness of bolt  every few rides, also bolt will wear, had to change mine.

• Like 1