Sign in to follow this  

Lower Chain Roller destroyed...Run it without?

I started and rode my bike first time today since I crashed 2 months ago.  I forgot to check my chain slack and it may have been too tight or too loose...a couple blocks into my ride heard some drivetrain noise..I stopped to check it out and my lower chain roller guide bike was broken...It was also really hard to get it in Neutral while the bike was ON and stopped.  I rode it back home and took a look at it.  The plastic roller was broken into 3 pieces...I noticed my clip style master link was also broken and only a tiny piece of it remained on the chains side plate...I installed this stupid hose guide for my overflow lines going under swingarm and that may have got caught it the roller also...I know my master link was rubbing against the swing-arm rear lower chain cover guide so I bent the metal housing on the guide while the bike was sitting but never rode it until now- I'm pretty sure thats why my master link clip broke, i got a rivet style link brand new to install....  But in the mean time can I run the bike without the lower chain roller until a new one comes in?   Does the chain roller effect chain slack? because the chain seems really loose now that I have removed the chain roller...The bike ran great other than that!  Better than I remember!

Run something down there, it helps keep the chain on the drive sprocket.

19 minutes ago, 38super said:

Run something down there, it helps keep the chain on the drive sprocket.

Im going to get a new roller shipped out.  In the mean time what can I put there or can i run it without?  What size is the lower roller?  Mine is reading aboout 34mm but thats measuring the broken one thats split into 3 pieces...

I'm trying to get the part on Amzn w/ next day free shipping.  I have to know the size to order it tho...I measured it again and I got 34mm width, 40mm OD, 22mm ID....Anyone else happen to know the right size?  The two measurements given must be ID and OD right? Bcuz the width usually run the same for all bikes with 520 chain?  

There is an old post from E. Marquez and he says the lower is 38mm - he has always given me spot on info so I will probably go with the 38mm unless someone else can confirm that its a 40mm OD...

Edited by Sasha Rudolfski

3 minutes ago, Sasha Rudolfski said:

I'm trying to get the part on Amzn w/ next day free shipping.  I have to know the size to order it tho...I measured it again and I got 34mm width, 40mm OD, 22mm ID....Anyone else happen to know the right size?  The two measurements given must be ID and OD right? Bcuz the width usually run the same for all bikes with 520 chain?  

38 bottom, 34 Top