All Balls or Pivot Works for 2003 RM250?

Hey guys

It’s time to replace the linkage and swing arm bearings in my 2003 RM250. The OEM stuff is exorbitant... $170 just for linkage set versus $70 for aftermarket. I’ve heard some people say aftermarkets have fit perfectly, and others with different model bikes say some bearings aren’t a perfect fit. Anybody have any feedback on the kits from All Balls or Pivot Works on an 03 RM250?

Not specific to your bike but rather than the bearings, I've never had any luck with aftermarket seals. (linkage, wheel bearing, fork tube etc.)

Quite often the rubber is less pliable than the original design, not conforming as well to the surface and,

making them rip easier, letting debris and water inside ruining their otherwise 'good enough' cheap bearings.

Edited by mlatour

Also clean out all the bearings wipe off every roller and use schaffers 274 grease its aluminum complex grease like other waterproof greases such as bel ray.  The scaffers has moly which helps protect the races from being beat to smithereens by the needles.

If you wanna get real fancy you can try to order tcm brand oil seals in place of the stock seals. Between that and the schaffers you can get more time out of the components.

You also need to consider manufacturers dont make bearings so you order a dealer bearing and it comes as a koyo or ntn , a £6 bearing your paying tripple for . You can take the time and match them all up individually with quality bearings, iv done both options in the past , but tbh iv not seen any difference i rate the allballs kit myself, i cant recall them having any branding marks only there own numbers so im  not sure on the brand they actually use but haven’t experienced anything different than oem ones 

• Like 1

I will put it this way. If you plan to keep that bike for the next few years and maintain the bearings properly then go with OEM. If you plan on getting rid of the bike within a year or two and do not plan on taking care of the bearings then go with Pivot Works. If you plan on selling it within a year then use All Balls. 

Aftermarket bearing kits use inferior seals which will cause premature bearing failure. The lip on the aftermarket linkage seals also tend to fold out when installing the pin, which lets water and mud work it's way in. I replaced most of my bearings and seals on my RM with pivot works kits and so far I have had to replace half the linkage bearings and the fork seals just within a year. From now on, all my bikes will get OEM parts.

• Like 3

I ended up buying the pivots works linkage and swing arm bearings. They offer a lifetime warranty and I got them for the same price as all balls. RMATV said all balls company purchased pivot works and is honoring their warranty :-)
The kits worked great, and everything fit well. Hopefully they last a long time. The previous bearings were absolutely destroyed.