Sign in to follow this  

Out of ideas?

So I'm stumped.bike was cutting out at idle so I cleaned and changed all fuel filters and had the injector cleaned after that bike idled fine but had a mid range miss that started only small but gradually got worse then went back to a slight miss again.i took it to the shop they said fuel pump was faulty and the fuel relay but would be a 4week wait on parts and $1400 to fix so I got an aftermarket pump for $110 and fitted it myself but haven't done the relay. While fitting new pump I discovered a bend in one of the hoses in the tank so also replaced that thinking that's it and not the pump so rang shop and asked did they actually test the pump he said no just swapped over another tank and it ran fine. I then took bike for a ride and it ran fine came back pulled tank off again as I noticed a loose bolt on sub frame put tank back on rode again and the miss is back I'm thinking its not even a fuel problem now but more of an electrical problem.do you think it could be the fuel relay or something else I'm not sure I trust the shops diagnosis as it's full of young kids working there with not much experience and obviously the fuel pump was ok cheers guy any info appreciated.bike is a 2017 sxf 350

Relays are known to play up and cheap to replace

• Like 1

I doubt a relay would cause that. You could just bypass the relay with a jumper wire to eliminate it. You need to rig up a fuel pressure gauge that you can read while riding it. That is the only sure way to know if is a fuel problem. I had a 16 450 that had a pin hole in one of those plastic fuel lines. Lower your fuel level down in the tank, then bump the starter which turns the fuel pump on for a few seconds. Look down onto the tank and see if fuel is spraying around. That would indicate a leak somewhere inside the tank.

Yes I found a kinked hose in the tank and replaced it but still the same I have taken it to an auto electrician so I'll see what they find. I'll also check other lines for a pin hole when I get it back

There were some issues with the sensor in the air box. Clean, dielectric grease making sure it's connected correctly.

Edited by weantright