Sign in to follow this  

My first top end rebuild 2002 cr125

I'm getting ready to start putting my top end back together I had to get a bored cylinder and wiesco piston and I'm getting cold feet because I keep reading about these exaust values and having to shave them down so that they don't stick out into the cylinder walls and damage the Piston I'm not to much of a fabricator and I've already got a little money in this rebuild my buddy says it is fine and I'm also using the old power Valve and assembly and I don't think my prep work is up to par should I take it to a shop or dig in and getter done

image000000_01.jpg

If you had the cylinder bored out and replated the company that did the work should have shaved the valves so they do not protrude into the cylinder. You can operate the linkage and see if the tips of the valves enter the cylinder or not. If they don't then put it together and ride. If they do enter the cylinder take it back to the idiot that bored the cylinder out and tell him to finish his job.

Thanks for the feedback and I wish it was that simple this is my first time and I bought a cylinder that was already sleeved and it came cylinder only and the new wiseco piston ring so I'm using everything from my cylinder the next time I'll take it and have it done I just didn't have the time to do it so I ordered but as I said I have cold feet now that I have everything ready to go back to together

You need to grind them back most definitely if cylinder was  bored.  With cyl off slide the piston up threw with no ring on it see if going to hit. Make sure they are closed all the way. You'll see where you will have to grind them down.  Want a about .020 clearance . Its not hard to do

Thanks again for the feed back and I got it together this afternoon and my bike fired up on the third kick and sounded good at a low idle so I shut it down an going to put everything back together in the morning

• Like 1