Sign in to follow this  

Swapping electrics, 1993 to 2000 cr250r

Hi,  i have a 2000 cr250r engine i just bought.  it doesn't come with stator and the cdi.  Will my 1993 stator an cdi work ok with the 2000 engine?   anyone swap electrics between years before?  Any negative or positive effects to report?

7 hours ago, Willr74 said:

Hi,  i have a 2000 cr250r engine i just bought.  it doesn't come with stator and the cdi.  Will my 1993 stator an cdi work ok with the 2000 engine?   anyone swap electrics between years before?  Any negative or positive effects to report?

You would have to make sure the stator bolt holes line up and also will need to run the entire 93 electrical system as I'm pretty sure the plugs for the stator and cdi between the 2 years are going to be different. Plus the mapping for the cdi's are going to be different.

Related/similar question.  Doing the same with a '97 CR250R, so I figured I'd add here since the '92-01 motor allows a lot of swapping with the very minor year-to-year changes.

Going with a non-power-jet carb, and would like to clean up wiring and get those stator windings back for other electrical uses, so I'm considering a wholesale electrical swap with a 92-96 CR or a 2000/01 CR.  Any info from anyone on output or advance curve differences in those year ranges?  I'm guessing likely better to go with the latter, since there was a piston shape change 96 and onward (flat top vs. domed) that may have impacted timing/curve programming.

Any thoughts?

Maybe you will find this thread interesting. I moved the ignition components into the airbox without any extensive modification or additional parts. There were even pre-existing mounts on the subframe in the airbox