Jump to content
Utah_2T

Beta quality slipping?

Recommended Posts

My buddy has a 2018 300RR. I rode it. Great bike and no issues that I have heard of. Personally I like my YZ250 better. Simple as can be and bulletproof. I don't ride on the street, so it has everything I need and nothing I don't.


I've been back and forth on looking at a 250x but after 6 Yamahas, I thought I might try something different. I am thinking I would like an e-start. I also had a kicker shaft snap on me and Yamaha hasn't made any changes on their new bikes.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Utah_2T said:

I'm not concerned with working on the bike, I am mechanically inclined having built and flown a homebuilt aircraft and wrenched on race cars for nearly 2 decades.

I'm guessing you can handle anything a Beta can throw at you then 😂🤣

The OC and CC upper tubes differed only in color of cosmetic anodizing through MY18 - they split in 2019.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LSHD said:

My buddy has a 2018 300RR. I rode it. Great bike and no issues that I have heard of. Personally I like my YZ250 better. Simple as can be and bulletproof. I don't ride on the street, so it has everything I need and nothing I don't.

YZ250 is great . It has its little issues but a great bike. I can’t see how you can figure it’s better though. A YZ250 is like my cr 250 honda was. Great bike and I love it but it’s not better than any in the 2 t 300cc estart 6 speed class of bikes available now. All these bikes are as bulletproof as a yz 250 too. I give kudos for yamaha at least making 2 strokes though. I kept waiting for years for honda to decide to bring back 2 strokes and upgraded. I just went to a better product and at a way better bang for your buck. Where else is there a factory warranty that is for 6 months and one year for their bikes like Beta has. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, in my opinion & having owned a 2014 RR250 & now a 2018 RR300, I reckon the quality has actually risen between the two MY. The ‘18 Sachs fork - a MARKED improvement over the ‘14. Plusher, better feel all stroke, less deflection. I run a Starcross 5 med & drilled Goldentyre mousse. 

If you buy an ‘18 run-out from a reputable dealer who has pd’d the bike comprehensively (dielectric grease on main plugs, ie, cdi, re-route carb vent hoses, etc), I can’t see how you'd be unhappy. I owned an ‘18 Gas Gas EC250 (KYB’s and all) for the first 6 months of this year & don’t miss it one little bit. 

Edited by KatoKonvert
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eric72 said:

. I was initially afraid of getting metal debris in the tranny oil and having problems.

Drill slowly and put grease on the drill to help catch the chips. Same thing with the tap. Next, 'waste' a few quarts of cheap oil to rinse the sump free of anything that escaped your slow, meticulous work and the grease.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Utah_2T said:

 


I've been back and forth on looking at a 250x but after 6 Yamahas, I thought I might try something different. I am thinking I would like an e-start. I also had a kicker shaft snap on me and Yamaha hasn't made any changes on their new bikes. 

I snapped one too on my 07 YZ250. 2019 design is identical on YZ250 and YZ250X. My YZ liked to push in the front end unlike the Beta which tends to carve and generally turn more confidently.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I snapped one too on my 07 YZ250. 2019 design is identical on YZ250 and YZ250X. My YZ liked to push in the front end unlike the Beta which tends to carve and generally turn more confidently.

Suspension tuning fixes that, as it does on all bikes. 

And YZs are easy to kick. So breaking a kick lever is rare. It's seldom mentioned in the Yamaha 2 Stroke forum, but sometimes obsessed on in competing forums. 😶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Suspension tuning fixes that, as it does on all bikes. 

And YZs are easy to kick. So breaking a kick lever is rare. It's seldom mentioned in the Yamaha 2 Stroke forum, but sometimes obsessed on in competing forums. 😶

It's a thing and happened to me. I should have taken a pic to prove it but I think I had a work blackberry back then and didn't want grief from corporate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shrubitup said:

It's a thing and happened to me. I should have taken a pic to prove it but I think I had a work blackberry back then and didn't want grief from corporate.

No disrespect intended. I completely believe you. It's a thing, but it is definitely NOT a common thing. Like I said before, Betas are nice bikes. I'm not putting them down. But it's not right to harp on a kick starter failure as something YZ owners worry about. And handling is something easily taken care of with sag, tire pressure, and proper clicker settings. I do agree that the Beta is more forward biased, making it feel more planted in front than the squat-cockpitted (wheelie machine) YZ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

It's a thing and happened to me. I should have taken a pic to prove it but I think I had a work blackberry back then and didn't want grief from corporate.

Every time I push the 'go' button and a two-stroke fires up, it blows my mind. Still not used to the idea of a 2t with electric start. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KatoKonvert said:

OP, in my opinion & having owned a 2014 RR250 & now a 2018 RR300, I reckon the quality has actually risen between the two MY. The ‘18 Sachs fork - a MARKED improvement over the ‘14. Plusher, better feel all stroke, less deflection. I run a Starcross 5 med & drilled Goldentyre mousse. 

If you buy an ‘18 run-out from a reputable dealer who has pd’d the bike comprehensively (dielectric grease on main plugs, ie, cdi, re-route carb vent hoses, etc), I can’t see how you'd be unhappy. I owned an ‘18 Gas Gas EC250 (KYB’s and all) for the first 6 months of this year & don’t miss it one little bit. 

I get the impression you had issues with the GG. Please explain. If I buy another 2stk, GG and Beta are on my short list. Both have good dealers so the diff will be the bike alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LSHD said:

No disrespect intended. I completely believe you. It's a thing, but it is definitely NOT a common thing. Like I said before, Betas are nice bikes. I'm not putting them down. But it's not right to harp on a kick starter failure as something YZ owners worry about. And handling is something easily taken care of with sag, tire pressure, and proper clicker settings. I do agree that the Beta is more forward biased, making it feel more planted in front than the squat-cockpitted (wheelie machine) YZ.

I have some friends that are hard core yz 250/300 guys. It’s very well known with them  that the kicker shaft breaks.  They are the ones who tell me that they try to not kick too much because they know that’s the weak spot on the bike. They love YZ and ride YZ. It’s happened to them or at least some of them. It’s how I know about the issue.  I think it’s not harping on an issue so much but just saying what is. To me I’m surprised guys grumble as much about Beta . Really the bikes overall are super reliable. I think there’s always issues with whatever brand . It’s a dirtbike.  To me my Betas have been very reliable and solid. I just don’t agree that a YZ 250 is better than a Beta but that’s personal opinion of course.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Somebody mentioned broken YZ250 Kickstarter shaft. IMG_20180414_122359059.thumb.jpg.c2bafcb41ab34b45bd96ae55a2a79a00.jpg

This happened in April of this year.

 

Totally worth it! :ride:

1298028425_SittingPrettySep22017.jpg.ae78f55fe028061d4f2333c2ea994a48.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×