Utah_2T

Beta quality slipping?

I did look it up, doesnt show it as fitting but that doesnt mean it wont. Yamahaha is great at crossfitting many parts for many years.
I still cant believe the CS sprocket fits the 1969 DT1 to the 19 YZ!

Btw, Im still on the lookout for a nice pre owned 300rr here in BC. Not many people want to give theirs up!

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, Eric72 said:

I added too much oil to the transmission on my first oil change. So i used the bolt that allows you to check the tranny oil. I let the extra oil out that hole. When i went to put that bolt back in, it would not tighten down. Pulled the bolt back out and noticed it was encased in aluminium. Was not sure what to do, but was told i needed to heli-coil it. I do not have a lot of mechanical experience and was afraid of making it worse by trying to do it myself. The bike sat for 2 weeks and i got tired of it being broken, so i took it to the dealer. He told me he could do it or i could do it myself. The bike would be fixed quicker if i fixed it myself. He also told me i could put silicone around it and ride today. I tried the silicone and did not trust that. Finally i said F it and went out and put a heli-coil in it. It took me 15 minutes to fix the problem. I was initially afraid of getting metal debris in the tranny oil and having problems. Dealer told me not to worry about a few shavings and that the magnetic drain plug would catch them. If i would have gotten it done 1/2 hour earlier i could have rode with a couple guys today. Oh well it is ready to ride tomorrow.

Would be surprised of a magnetic drain plug catching aluminum shaving.  The case is aluminum isn’t it?

1 hour ago, traileater said:

I happen to have a kickstart shaft from a 96 yz250, do you know if that fits the current yz's?
I also have one from a 00 yz125 and 08 yz450f. (I part out bikes)
thanks

It's the 99-01 yz250 shaft and side case that fit the newer bikes. You have to do the side case as the shaft diameter is different. I guess the yz426 shaft is the same, but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LSHD said:

Guess I and almost every other YZ owner got lucky. If it breaks tomorrow I'll fix it in a few minutes and maybe it will last another 13 years. :thumbsup:

Well it’s more than a few minutes and it’s more about where it breaks. No big deal on a track because it’s not far. It’s if it’s at the bottom of a ravine and if you are alone or with friends then that’s shitty . And yea it’s not feeling like it’s common if it hasn’t been you yet. Like any bike when things break you just fix.. That’s ok but  just think. If your yz250 had a good estart you wouldn’t use your kicker and it could be a backup just in case your estart broke. Tada! a second option.. On my cr 250 what happened is I fell and messed up my kicking leg knee. I couldn’t start my cr. I could ride my Beta 525 rs which had estart. So I got my 2t Beta 300 rr later which had estart and what I feel my cr lacked to be a better bike... which is 50 more cc’s... also I wish my honda had 6 speed. Beta has that too. Yamaha spent the money for those kinds of upgrades for their 4 stroke enduros and were chicken shit about upgrading the 2 strokes. Yamaha 4 strokes have 6 speed and estart and more etc. It seems they figure they don’t give a shit about 2 stroke enduro riders. It’s like they think since they are the only japanese  2 strokes so they don’t give a &%$#@!. Only game in town so run old tech they’ll buy anyway.  The Japanese companies abandoned their loyal clientele. I loved my cr 2t but &%$#@! them. I give kudos to all the euro companies that contributed development and provide a better bike for riders. Beta I think is the best overall.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PIERRE SIMARD said:

Would be surprised of a magnetic drain plug catching aluminum shaving.  The case is aluminum isn’t it?

I did it with oil in the case and drained the oil that was in it after i was done with the heli-coil. I filled it up with some 8 month old 10-50 motex i used in the exc. Sometime this week i will fire it up and get it warm maybe do some figure 8`s in the yard and piss off the neighbors, then drain that oil. Fill it again with some partial bottles of oil i have around the garage and repeat. Then drain it fill it with new good oil and go ride next weekend. Most of the debris i got out of it, so i think i will be fine. 

Edited by Eric72
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Arrowtree551 said:

You shouldn't pay 10k and get the bike home, ride it once and experience flameout and gas tank gauge failures. Let's see if I can recall it in order;

And for the record I'm sure you die hard beta riders are going to come at me so before you call me a millennial with no ability to turn a wrench or any bike knowledge who wanted the shiny bike -- not true. If you'd like to debate it we can. But as for the beta, this was my experience.

Unfortunate, but it happens sometimes. Buddy of mine was battling flameouts and had the bike back to the dealer several times. Sad thing was I knew more about the FI system than the dealer just by asking a few questions here.

Cummings Dodge nearly killed a friend and his family. I've heard of lemon Toyotas before too. It happens. Had a 1990 T-Bird. Easily as big a POS as my dads 1977 Dodge Aspen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, traileater said:

I did look it up, doesnt show it as fitting but that doesnt mean it wont. Yamahaha is great at crossfitting many parts for many years.
I still cant believe the CS sprocket fits the 1969 DT1 to the 19 YZ!

Btw, Im still on the lookout for a nice pre owned 300rr here in BC. Not many people want to give theirs up!

Look for the guys thinking of upgrading to a newer Beta too!!

33 minutes ago, Arrowtree551 said:

Japan didn't abadon there loyal follows they mearly progressed with the times. Soon we will all be required emissions or go all electric. Oh boy I can't wait

Sure they did. Instead ktm,sherco, Beta , Gasgas etc made what the demand is. .. but yea electric .. at least it’s quiet.

17 hours ago, Arrowtree551 said:

Japan didn't abadon there loyal follows they mearly progressed with the times. Soon we will all be required emissions or go all electric. Oh boy I can't wait

Ya, Honda became a car company. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:29 AM, kawagumby said:

My Xtrainer is all right, but...

I bought my first KDX new in 1986...air cooled...rode and raced it.  Then I bought an 88,  then a 90.  Then 3 H model 200's and 4 H model 220's.  I currently have a heavily modified '94 KDX200.  In some ways it's a better bike than the Xtrainer, but for the electric start.

I  never had a failure with any one of those bikes.  I rode the piss out of them. NO FAILURES EVER.

emodel2.jpg

I love my 2017 Beta 300RR -- honestly could not ask for more.  But I agree with you Kawagumby -- there's just sumpin' about my little resurrected 96 KDX 200 brings a huge smile to my face everytime I swing a leg over it.  I've owned them all (KTM, HUS, BETA, etc...), and when I think about all the money I've spent on purchasing a new bikes, setting them up, modding, upgrading the suspensions, etc., -- I sometimes shake my head in disgust.  And throughout it all, no matter what other bike I had, that little green machine always kept filtering back into my mind.  This recent one is my third (and last -- as I'll never let it go) KDX 200H model since 2003.  Has definitely been the most reliable bike I've ever owned, and the easiest to maintain.   No bells, no whistles, no estart,...simple, reliable, and just fun to ride. And nah, it has nothing on the Beta, but with the the right set up and a few simple and relatively low cost mods, it's a nice little woods weapon to have in your garage.

KIMG0151.jpg

HPIM1691 (2).JPG

Edited by Skoalman
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Skoalman said:

I love my 2017 Beta 300RR -- honestly could not ask for more.  But I agree with you Kawagumby -- there's just sumpin' about my little resurrected 96 KDX 200 brings a huge smile to my face everytime I swing a leg over it.  I've owned them all (KTM, HUS, BETA, etc...), and when I think about all the money I've spent on purchasing a new bikes, setting them up, modding, upgrading the suspensions, etc., -- I sometimes shake my head in disgust.  And throughout it all, no matter what other bike I had, that little green machine always kept filtering back into my mind.  This recent one is my third (and last -- as I'll never let it go) KDX 200H model since 2003.  Has definitely been the most reliable bike I've ever owned, and the easiest to maintain.   No bells, no whistles, no estart,...simple, reliable, and just fun to ride. And nah, it has nothing on the Beta, but with the the right set up and a few simple and relatively low cost mods, it's a nice little woods weapon to have in your garage.

KIMG0151.jpg

HPIM1691 (2).JPG

52 minutes ago, Skoalman said:

KIMG0151.jpg

HPIM1691 (2).JPG

Couldn't embed the video so, I just provided this KDX video link: https://youtu.be/6DPNanQIlic

Edited by Skoalman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hey they make good generators 

Black air cleaner or red air cleaner? :devil:

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Actually if I were to buy a Honda now it would be a generator over a bike.. If I’d buy a Honda bike Id buy something they don’t make anymore... 2 stroke. 

Honda really made a large contribution to the 4t motorbike in the 70's and 80's. :cheers:

My Dad and his friends made a few “ Frankenstein” hybrid kdx 200/kx125 bikes then they put bigger 240 top ends and did the stainless steel spokes and wider rear rims that were the popular mod in past days but seem to be forgotten now. They handled a bit better and were a little lighter. There were those that made frankenstein bikes and yz125 chassis and put 175 enduro motors modded. We had one like that that was a great bike. IT yamahas 200 sort of put more of an end to those and the earlier ktm 200’s. 

14 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Black air cleaner or red air cleaner? :devil:

Honda really made a large contribution to the 4t motorbike in the 70's and 80's. :cheers:

I loved my first bike. A 66 honda 50.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Skoalman said:

KIMG0151.jpg

HPIM1691 (2).JPG

What was even more reliable were the aircooled kdx 200’s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

What was even more reliable were the aircooled kdx 200’s. 

Never owned an aircooled version.  I can't think of any other bike (aircooled or watercooled) that I've owned that's been as durable as a KDX.  Like Kawagumby, I've never had any mechanical issues on the trail with this bike -- not one hiccup -- nada, nothing.

• Like 1