Sign in to follow this  

Fluid Displacement

Hello gentleman,

here is a question that killes my head for a few days now. You might could help me with that.

If you have a regular cartridge with a moving rebound piston and a compression piston on the base valve.

The compression is basicly an affect correlating with the fluid in movement. So if you have 10mm rod with a specific valving and you would change the rod size to 12mm with the same base valve assembly. would you gain or loose damping?

Hopefully my explanation was good enough

alright and loose damping on the rebound piston?

this basically means there is more "damping action" because it is working on way more fluid?

Yes for less damping on the rebound, I wasn't sure of this one so I gave a try on restackor.

For the rod action think about a close bottle, the bigger the rod you try to enter in this close volume the harder it will be. The basevalve is there to let the rod enter and manage the amount of resistance.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 1:38 AM, texasthierry said:

Yes for less damping on the rebound, I wasn't sure of this one so I gave a try on restackor.

It's all about displacement lol. A bigger rod means more total displacement from the cartridge, and it's all from behind the piston. Therefore there's less fluid to displace through the rebound valve on rebound, and less on compression too as there is not as much space behind the piston to fill.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, omc1984 said:

alright and loose damping on the rebound piston?

this basically means there is more "damping action" because it is working on way more fluid?

As above, more base valve compression, but less mid and rebound. It would depend on your setup as to how much compression you would gain.