Sign in to follow this  

01 CR250 shock removal

Anyone know the trick to remove the shock WITHOUT removing the seat, tank, muffler and subframe first? I have seen a shock guy do it but I can't figure out how he did it for the life of me.

I would think the only way to do it is remove the rear wheel and then you should have access to it?

Perhaps applicable to the 2-stroke CR's as well

but with many bikes with typical tight fitting air boot / difficult access to clamps

you can simply remove the silencer and seat, remove bolts but leaving the subframe hanging in place by the airboot.

While pushing the subframe to the left you can pull the shock out from the right hand side.

YouTube links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvkLxjvcwA

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Pull the subframe. It's a good opportunity to clean the airbox out and make sure the carb has not been getting dirt into it. Also grease the linkage while you have the shock off. If you really want to do some maintenance pull the SA off and grease that too!

• Like 1

I use the method depicted in the videos mlatour posted above. That technique works great.

Thanks guys. I am just trying to replicate what the susp guy did while we were checking different springs to get the right rate. Nothing removed other than the two bolts holding the shock and possibly the seat. Nothing more. Driving me nuts. No other maintenance needed. 

If you're just looking to switch out the shock spring,

I imagine by taking out the lower mounting bolt and one of the linkage bolt so it pivots out of the way,

after loosening the spring's lock and preload collars and, removing the spring's lower seat/lock ring

it can probably be taken out from the bottom.

Edited by mlatour

Yep that is one solution. But I watched them do it right in front of me and still can't figure out how. I just looked again and the gas tank is in front of the upper mount on both sides. Have no idea how they got a wrench on the bolt and nut. And then slid out the bolt which is necessary. I have had so much trouble with this thing I feel it is just more evidence of the devil being involved.