Sign in to follow this  

Honing Tool.....Ball or Stone?

Well I was able to remove the aluminum pieces from the cylinder wall. Now I want to clean up the cylinder but I’m confused on what tool to use! I have heard that with the PW50 or 2 stroke cylinders either tool would break during the honing process because the intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder! Can anyone recommend how to accomplish a succesful honing? I was going to rent a Honing stone from Autozone or if it’s that complicated just save the funds and take it to the machine shop! I also need a suitable rebuild kit for the PW50, anyone have recommendations on that? 

I've used a flex hone or ball hone on a lot of two strokes without a problem. It's taking a calculated risk. Jut watch a YouTube video for directions.

ProX pistions are a cheaper good quality piston. Just about any piston will work in a Pw50.

6 minutes ago, highmarker said:

did you use acid to remove the alum? 

Yes I did. Soaked some cotton balls in muratic acid and let it sit over night, washed it out and looks good now.  Just need to clean it up for the new piston.

32 minutes ago, speedtoad said:

ProX pistions are a cheaper good quality piston. Just about any piston will work in a Pw50.

Thanks been considering the Pro-X. I will add it to the list. What is your thoughts on reusing the wrist pin bearing? Replace? Also since I have the motor torn down, I’m replacing the crankshaft bearings and not sure if I should have the crank split to replace the big end bearing.

Thanks been considering the Pro-X. I will add it to the list. What is your thoughts on reusing the wrist pin bearing? Replace? Also since I have the motor torn down, I’m replacing the crankshaft bearings and not sure if I should have the crank split to replace the big end bearing.
In my experience crankshaft bearings don't last as long as the big end bearing. Unless connecting rod has up and down play I wouldn't do it.
The wrist pin bearings I would replace mostly because it's cheap and easy.

On a side note, my 13 year old is just beginning to appreciate the work I put into her bike. My younger 2 not so much. Just enjoy the smiling face and don't expect any thanks.
Also, my girls loved riding more then my son. It took him a while to get his confidence. Every kid is different.