Dakar 2019 Updates, Pictures & Video

Brabec always stands a chance to make some noise, but from the pulpmx podcast last week it sounds like if he doesn't jump out in the first stage or two then his teammates will make it difficult for him to compete for a top spot.  I'm looking forward to paying more attention to Dakar this year, but running it so close to the start of supercross does make it more difficult.

• Like 2

Yup.  If Brabec can't show he is in it to win it right off the bat he is probably going to be relegated to "water carrier" status for the remainder of the race and be giving up bike parts to the others if they break.  Honda is desperate to win this thing.

Pretty sure Short is in the same category (more water carrier than race winner) but it probably doesn't bother him as much as he is still a desert/rally newb.  From the podcast it didn't seem like Short was too concerned with winning a stage as they guys that do go way faster than he seems comfortable with (so far).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Quite a few Americans this year.  Add to this Bill Conger who's navigating for one of Robby Gordon's UTV's.  Bill raced his first Dakar last year and finished!

109045210_ScreenShot2019-01-05at2_34_04PM.png.336616977dc7fb1c60b64ebeaeeaff0c.png

I pitted and raced with Garrett and Skyler at Baja Rally and Sonora Rally and have an in with their team, Angelo too so I will share any updates and photos I get.  Justin and Kyra from WestX1000 are shooting pics for them and they'll share those as well.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Stage 1 was fast and short.

Brabec at 3rd 2:52 (yes that's 2 minutes 52 seconds!)

Laia Sanz 31st at 12:38

Garrett and Skyler at 45th and 46th at 19:22 and 19:28

Angelo 51st at 22:31

Nathan Rafferty 97th at 41:03 (probably where I would have been lol)

Gee Motzkin 133rd at 1:21:39

• Like 4

January 7, 2019 Motor Sports Newswire

Pablo-Quintanilla-–-Rockstar-Energy-Husqvarna-Factory-Racing-Dakar-Rally-Stage-1-678.jpg

Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rider within Striking Distance of the Top of the Leaderboard after Opening Day of Racing in Peru

January 7, 2019 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Making a strong start to the 2019 Dakar Rally, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Pablo Quintanilla has secured a runner-up result on the opening stage from Lima to Pisco. Demonstrating good speed on his FR 450 Rally machine, Andrew Short got close to the top 10 by finishing 13th on Monday’s stage.

Putting in a stellar performance in the dunes of Peru on Monday, Pablo Quintanilla was less than two minutes behind the winner of the opening stage. Kicking off his two-week long adventure in positive fashion, the Chilean rally star is aiming for equally strong performances in the demanding stages that lie ahead.

Making light work of a demanding stage one, Pablo’s Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing team partner Andrew Short posted the 13th best time in the day’s timed special. Andrew is currently less than two minutes behind the top 10 in the provisional overall standings. The 2019 Dakar Rally continues on Tuesday with the second of 10 stages. Featuring a total distance of more than 500km, stage two includes a demanding 342km long timed special.

Pablo Quintanilla: “I felt really good on the bike today. It wasn’t an easy stage. There were some sandy dunes, some dusty parts and some tricky navigation. I was pushing from the start and I felt confident all the way through the stage. It’s good to start this race with a second place and it gives me extra confidence for the rest of the rally. Today we had many waypoints to cross and many direction changes. It was good to get things started with the first stage. This year I am feeling very confident and I am enjoying the race a lot. The bike is running great and I am looking forward to the coming stages.”

Andrew-Short-–-Rockstar-Energy-Husqvarna-Factory-Racing-Dakar-Rally-Stage-1.jpg

Andrew Short: “I’m really happy with my performance today. Compared to last year, I am a lot more confident and I feel more familiar with the terrain and with racing at high speeds. I was a little bit nervous before the start, but it all went well and I could do my own race today. In rally racing you never know when it gets tricky, so it’s nice to be prepared for anything that’s thrown at you. Overall, I had a good feeling today. There were some dusty parts today in the special test and it got very windy close to the end. Hopefully I can continue to improve my pace as the race goes on and I can get closer to the top 10 in the overall standings.”

2019 Dakar Rally – Stage 1 Provisional Classification

1. Joan Barreda (Honda) 00:57:36
2. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 00:59:10 
3. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 01:00:28
4. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 01:00:31
5. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 01:00:32
6. Toby Price (KTM) 01:00:44

13. Andrew Short (Husqvarna) 01:04:29

Husqvarna Motorcycles North America, Inc.

Husqvarna has continued to expand its professional race team to compete in AMA Supercross, AMA Pro Motocross, AMA National Enduro, GNCC, AMA EnduroCross, and AMA National Hare & Hound championships. Husqvarna team riders are competing aboard Husqvarna FC 450, FC 350, FC 250, FE 350, TC 250 and TE 300 models.

Rockstar Energy Drink

Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
2018-Husqvarna-Motorcycle-pr-logo.jpg

Source: Husqvarna Motorcycles GmbH

• Like 2

Ya you beat me to it and nice to see the USA boys and Price/Sunderland doing well in Stage 1 ?

Big boy race and really looking forward to this year.

I'm watching it later tonight in the Canadian PWN at 11::00PM PST on Telus SN1 912 ?

Then maybe A1 later but watching the Tide VS Clemson now and IMO AWESOME game so far ?

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

Brabec is out fast this morning overtaking Barreda Bort for the lead but it's still very early (wp2 of 8

update: still first at wp3. I guess all that nav work with Jimmy Lewis is paying off now

update:  So Ricky lost the lead to Walkner and finished 2nd back 0:22.  Not bad for Honda!  Toby Price a strong 4th today.

Pretty strong showing from Honda this year I'd say (so far).

Update:  Skyler is FLYING!  Through wp7 ahead of Laia Sanz!  Dang!  Garrett way back and shows through wp 6 so far.  Pablo Quintanilla must have had a problem as it shows him only through wp1 but sometimes that's a nav equipment problem.

Edited by fudgypup
  • Like 2

I'm following on their main site and then just plan to catch RedBull's and Dakar's overview at the end of each day.

So Skyler did great and finished 35th.  Something happened to Garrett after wp5 and he just got in finishing 120th.  Mechanical I'd assume.  I spoke with one of his pit crew and they (not surprisingly) were not aware of the issue.

Angelo 114th today but Rafferty did well (for him) at 94th then Motzkin at 96th.

Brabec will get to follow Mattias' lines tomorrow at least.

4 minutes ago, filterx said:

Nice to see Husky doing well but out of interest why post a topic just about Husky and the Dakar?

Here ya go

https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/dakar-2019-bike-barreda-quintanilla/4320513/

I don't care too much about this race except want to see Short and Brabec do well......................and of course Laia Sanz ?

• Like 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Dakar 2019 Updates, Pictures & Video