filterx

offroad Dakar 2019 Updates, Pictures & Video

WP 6 and Brabec in 6th but 4:19 off the lead by Quintanilla.

Andrew Short is killing it in 2nd!

Skyler not through wp6 yet so he's out of the top 10 but hopefully not far behind.

Husqvarna 1st and 2nd

Correction!!!!  Skyler through wp6 but has OVERTAKEN BRABEC for 6th!!!

Edited by fudgypup
  • Helpful 1

Unfortunately Dutto the paraplegic who's story has been so inspiring has been announced not to have started today.  Hat's off to this guy.

Garrett through wp6 at 35th but Skyler not across the line yet with 13 others across so hope that's just a nav equip blip.

Site not showing who came in 3rd (yet).  Skyler?

Update: okay Skyler in at 9th!  Brabec 10th, Short 5th.  Good day for the Americans!

Edited by fudgypup
  • Like 2

Interesting info on some adjustments based on happenings on the race course from Justin Coffey and Kyra Sadaclan of WestX1000:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to send an update to today's press release.

"At the conclusion of Special Stage Five, we saw Xavier de Soultrait (#18) at the front with Walkner (#1), Santolino (#63), Beveren (#4) and Short (#29) at his heels. But after consideration from the ASO, Sam Sunderland (#14), whom had stopped today to assist Paulo Gonçalves (#2) after his game-ending crash, reportedly awarded Sunderland extra minutes off his resulting time, elevating Sam to first place. Meanwhile, Walkner incurred a 3-minute penalty, subsequently reordering today's results.

The time removed from Sam's score was surely appreciated as the #14 Red Bull KTM Factory Team rider had slowed once more in the last leg of the special to offered guidance to rookie Skyler Howes (#73) whose road book had split 100 kilometers from the finish, leaving him blind. Motorcycles are trickling into the bivouac in Arequipa after a long Marathon and another roughly 200 kilometers of liaison. Just another exciting day at Dakar!"

IMG_4930.jpg
IMG_4931.jpg

• Like 1

This is great racing. Wish they had as much coverage as boring ass Supercross. 

• Like 3

Cant thank you guys enough for posting this !

The Stage Summary videos are awesome!!!!

• Like 2

Wow!  Huge scoop here sent to us by WESTX1000's Justin Coffey and Kyra Sadaclan who sent this out in a press release just moments ago detailing Skyler's incredible 9th place finish in SS5 today.  Amazing stories of good luck, bad luck, helicopter prop wash, etc...

• Like 1

The dunes look amazing in Peru.  It is now on my bucket list to go ride there.  

Great coverage here .... thx

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I've been following the race on the dakar website, here, NBCSC and Red Bull tv (free).  The stage 5 red bull segment has a bit about the KTM pits that is interesting and the opening shots of the fesh fesh make me appreciate kansas mud.  Thanks for the insider stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

The dunes look amazing in Peru.  It is now on my bucket list to go ride there.  

Great coverage here .... thx

I want to go on a off road bike tour that follows the race and rides some of the same terrain

• Like 3

@kcposty I know a few people down there who do tours.  Reach out to Simon Rodgriguez (simonenmoto on Instagram) and he can answer any questions you have.  It's not that expensive either.

So I'm hearing some kind of controversy surrounding Dutto, the paraplegic rider who bowed out of yesterday's stage before it started.  Sounds something like the race organization changing its mind, changing the rules and changing their story or something.  My buddy Rich at HeavyEnduro:

1530043632_ScreenShot2019-01-12at8_17_55AM.png.51fe4157a3d23dbfa0bbf0f2d34f3793.png

Unfortunately this kind of stuff can happen in a large race organization with a million different things going on all at once and with multiple people delegated authority to make decisions and then others above them who then want to change something.  I feel really bad for him and it's probably not going to reflect well on the organization.

I had a situation where I got half way through stage 3 of Baja Rally and realized they hadn't started my raly comp device.  I was getting no speed zone alerts nor ANY waypoints.  I finally needed a waypoint in a wash and realized they hadn't started it at the beginning.  I had to start it myself and then manually open and then skip each waypoint up to there, incurring all kinds of penalties.  I protested at the end of the day but it was moot because I had a rear mousse melt and the replacement tube had its stem ripped out the first blip of the throttle going into the beach dunes and I was out for the day.  I protested to the race director (a friend of mine, btw) and he said "Eric, what did I tell everyone last night?"  It was "don't leave the bivouac before I start your race computer."  I said yeah but when I pulled up to the EZ-up I saw you wave us all forward and the 4 guys in front of me took off; I figured we're just supposed to go down the road to the start of the stage.  He said well two of them I'd started their rally comp's but the other two were sweep riders and didn't need to be started.  Bottom line is that it was my fault but you can probably understand my confusion and frustration.  Plus, I should have seen at the start of the stage the rally comp hadn't been started and could have quietly done it myself and gotten away with it.  But it was my first rally and I didn't know these things.

I will say though that the Dakar has a bad rep for these types of capricious decisions and many of them seem to always end up favoring a French rider.  You can also go back and watch coverage of older Dakar's and notice they bend over backwards to avoid mentioning the fact an American is leading or has won a stage and referring to him as the "rider from factory X."  No, Pierre, that's Jimmy F*ing Lewis to you! lol

This is kind of why I call Xavier De Soultrait "Soultrain."  He's a super good dude (from what I've heard) and phenomenal rider but it's just a good natured ribbing at him for being a French "golden boy."  I used to play a lot of golf and would play the Grayhawk course in Scottsdale owned by Phil Mickelson.  He's such a great guy that we'd call him "Filthy Phil" because that was really the opposite of who he was.

What really pisses me off though is how the helo pilot interfered with Skyler by drowning him in the prop wash.  Not cool.  A media copter should NEVER do anything that interferes with any rider.  Not to mention the safety aspect.  The message is "you're nothing special so deal with it."  I've been a "moto-photo" for marathons and other races and they're very clear to stay out of the way of any competitor.

Aside from all that though I'm always amazed at this Dakar rally raid experience.  One might think it's mostly skill but then you see how both good and bad luck weaves its way in and out of the story along with some seemingly surreal experiences that make it such a magical adventure.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Purposely sandbagging a stage should carry penalties for the following stage, If everyone did this the race would never end and they might as well skip the rest of the stages do the last stage and call it good.

Does it really matter that you won a stage that no one was trying to win?

An observation on Skyler's road book...  I've seen him prep his road book before and he is VERY meticulous about it, no doubt learning it from Garrett Poucher.  You can see he tapes it from BOTH sides with wider tape, not Scotch tape (like I used lol).  It's just something that can happen.  The rollers inside the nav tower assembly get sand inside and can get jammed up a bit (which is why I hope team Klymciw pit crew blows it out with an air hose) and when the top roller is pulling and the bottom roller is jammed then the paper snaps at the weakest point.  He did in fact still have his road book inside; he probably just didn't have tape on him at the time nor felt he had the time to stop and repair it, especially if he saw Sunderland pass him and realizing he can just follow him.

Here he is doing just that at Sonora Rally nav school

By the way, Skyler's first rally raid event he entered, Sonora Rally, he won and then the second, Baja Rally, he also won.  That's saying something right there.

Edited by fudgypup
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fudgypup said:

An observation on Skyler's road book...  I've seen him prep his road book before and he is VERY meticulous about it, no doubt learning it from Garrett Poucher.  You can see he tapes it from BOTH sides with wider tape, not Scotch tape (like I used lol).  It's just something that can happen.  The rollers inside the nav tower assembly get sand inside and can get jammed up a bit (which is why I hope team Klymciw pit crew blows it out with an air hose) and when the top roller is pulling and the bottom roller is jammed then the paper snaps at the weakest point.  He did in fact still have his road book inside; he probably just didn't have tape on him at the time nor felt he had the time to stop and repair it, especially if he saw Sunderland pass him and realizing he can just follow him.

Here he is doing just that at Sonora Rally nav school

By the way, Skyler's first rally raid event he entered, Sonora Rally, he won and then the second, Baja Rally, he also won.  That's saying something right there.

Damn!!!!

"They have 5 stages left to attack and offer an exciting final sprint!"

Quote from the news briefing on the Dakar website.  Toughest dunes coming up and 5 days to go and its called a sprint, wow

• Like 1

All kinds of mayhem this morning at Stage 6 with many leaders back 20-30 min.  Laia was in 1st for awhile but looks like Brabec recovered from a 25th spot at wp1 to now be back in the lead at wp2.  They said it would be tricky navigation today!  lol

I think what's more likely is something is messed up with the nav computers.  We'll see shortly.

• Like 1

What the heck is going on today?!  So hard to follow.  Must have been one crazy day of navigation because it seems like total chaos out there.

Skyler was 4th trhrough WP1 and a no show since?  Scott Whitney just reported on FB he heard Skyler crashed in the dunes and hurt his shoulder :( 

Brabec was in 3rd at WP4 but nothing since.

Poucher 54th at WP4 and the last one through there for now.

Only about 13 riders done so far.  total mayhem

• Like 1

So the Brabec pause was a hiccup as it's showing him done in 6th but still no progress for Garrett or Skyler.

Vlcek and Rafferty still not through WP4.

Looks like Howes may be out.  Motzkin too.  Bummer