filterx

offroad Dakar 2019 Updates, Pictures & Video

Ktm win with ktm in 1,2,3 ,just saying

18th win on the trot

What's your take on these "map men" and the notes Benavides was busted for?

I hear this guy and find I'm not sympathetic.  The spirit of the rally is you figure out the course using the road book while you're racing the course and not the night before with your "map men."

i concur with your view that a significant part of Dakar is the navigating as well as reading the terrain on the fly.  Credit him that he offered solutions, everybody else does it, not so much.  Its an interesting challenge, as the racers dna is to find every advantage they can.  2 seaters with navigators up the issue as now you add another competitor, who's the best navigator?  Was the intent of the rule change to create closer racing? If so did it?  

Do you know who makes the vests that the top riders were wearing?

• Like 1

Just catching up on stage 10/end and IMO another EPIC man/machine vs mother nature race.

I mainly follow the bikes but watch the cars etc etc.

I cannot recap everything but

Disappointed to see Brabec bike blow up and it was heart breaking seeing Van Bevern's bike blow up and shows how mentally/physically demanding this race is.

Was shocked to see QUINTANILLA's crash yet he pulled through to finish.

Short is on his way to an eventual podium if he keeps competing.

And HUGE congratulations to Price for his 2nd Dakar win and doing it hurt shows again how humans can overcome the incredibly mentally/physically challenging demands needed to complete, let alone win the Dakar.

Its been EPIC watching the TV coverage of beautiful Peru and this AMAZING race. Congratulations to ALL the approximately 1/3 of the competitors who entered the race and finished and I'm already looking forward to Dakar 2020

• Like 2

It was a great race, Price and the rest of the competitors are to be congratulated. The footage of Brabec and Van Beveren was right out of the old abc wide world of sports agony of defeat genre.

Wow, Peru looks like a place to visit.

My dilemma is go to Dakar next year or the Sonoma Rally

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, fudgypup said:

What's your take on these "map men" and the notes Benavides was busted for?

I hear this guy and find I'm not sympathetic.  The spirit of the rally is you figure out the course using the road book while you're racing the course and not the night before with your "map men."

I think this guy does raise some valid points.

I think a solution with all the complaining about the way Dakar is being managed is for everyone to skip the race.  If everyone including, racers, spectators, sponsors boycotted the Dakar they would have to change their ways or go away.