Sign in to follow this  

Improving Front Brake with Honda Parts ?

I have a 15 WRF 250 and coming from a KTM the Front Brake is shocking ! I have read various older threads about people with the same spongy weak feeling across WRF and even YZF models.

I am confident it is not caused by the disc or pads because it even feels spongy when sat on the stand . I have bled it through numerous times as well.

One thing I did read was that some people had used Nissin master cylinder parts from a Honda CRF such as simply just changing the piston to a slightly different one, but does anyone have any confirmed part numbers and definitive experience of this working well ?

I can find a Honda Rebuild Kit which is Part Number 45530MENJ01

Or Nissin FM-012 looks similar too ?

Its not overly expensive, but it’s not a cheap part to be the wrong one after a special order either !!

So, any info or experience is appreciated !

Something is wrong with your brake and need repair. My experience is yammis nissin are way better compared to ktms brembo.

I did think about a braided line, although I have read mixed reviews on this also with some people saying it didn’t make much of a difference.

I also tried a Honda with standard brake line and it was instant, similar to the KTM.

This is the first Yam I have ever had so there could be something wrong with it, but having read other people’s posts I guessed not !

Not sure what to think or try now !!

I went to a GYTR braided line on my YZ125 and the performance gain was enough for me (not racing, just recreational MX)

but in return it's a really light bike and soft/sandy MX tracks don't require much front braking.

A few years ago I did a quick switcharoo test between my CRF250X and YZ125,

installing the CRF's caliper onto the YZ  (27mm versus 22mm pistons) but

keeping the YZ master cylinder on due to output port placement / line fitment.

No gains observed, perhaps even more lever movement was required than before.

My feeling is the complete CRF setup is required, it's master cylinder pushing more volume to match the larger piston size.

A steel braided rear brake line greatly improved rear brake modulation and pedal 'feel' in preventing wheel lock-up.

Edited by mlatour

2015 and 2016 WR’s should not feel spongy. Had -15 and - 16 models with no issues, and definetly better feel than KTM. I would start to replace seals kit to master cylinder, 2nd would be to check if brake line is damaged. Sometimes it’s also not easy to get all air out of the system. (after normal bleeding, a lot of small bubbles comes up to the reservoir when you move lever just little)

bigger dia front disc came to -17 model, also diameter of master cylinder is smaller, lever was spongy until I replaced std brake line to steel braided aftermarket line

Mushy brakes can also be caused by an ever so slightly bent rotor (lateral run-out)

had it happen to me this summer on my CRF250X after laying the bike down on big rocks. 

• Like 1

I tell people all of the time that the YZ brakes are more progressive rather than the quicker responding ktm brakes. I personally find the ktm brakes to touchy. Anyhow, YZ and WR brakes should feel more progressive but not spongey. If they are indeed spongey, start with a total fluid change and bleed....see if that helps first.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. It feels the same with both the original front Wheel & Disc as well as a New Wheel with New Disc, so I am confident it is not that.

This is one of the posts I have read which put me onto the whole Honda Master Cylinder idea...

I have bled it through multiple times to see if it helped. I could really do with feeling the front brake on another bike to see if it feels the same as mine, or if there is something wrong.

I tell people all of the time that the YZ brakes are more progressive rather than the quicker responding ktm brakes. I personally find the ktm brakes to touchy. Anyhow, YZ and WR brakes should feel more progressive but not spongey. If they are indeed spongey, start with a total fluid change and bleed....see if that helps first.
I was going to write this suspicion previously as I have always felt the same. I don't like front brakes that are too touchy especially for riding on wet rocks or roots. Doesn't take much to slip the front out. The previous owner of my bike had a stainless braided line and I think there's no sponginess. My friend with the same bike and brakes, even with an oversized rotor, had very different characteristics.
  • Like 1

Same here, while more power is appreciable on the track,

when off-roading, better modulation is preferred to prevent lock ups.

Go for a braided line, bleed well, and there will be noticeable differences. The OP wants 'KTM' feel, which IMO, he won't get. The Yam is as said above...progressive.