Sand riding

Rode the CRF230f for the first time at Florida Track and Trails today.  It sucked.  Sugar sand is a foot deep and this bike ain't made for that.  Bike was squirrely as hell.  Front end wasn't stable and neither was the rear.  It has a rear sand tire on it too.  You have to always be on the throttle or it sinks in the sand.  I know some of it is me.  But even the trail I tried to ride was nothing but deep sand.  You need power to ride in this stuff.  I didn't have fun.  Definitely not a good bike to get back into dirt riding down here.  It would be fine up north in real dirt.  IMHO you must have at least a 250/300 two stroke or a 450 four stroke MX bike.  The trails aren't like up north.  They are somewhat wide and nothing but deep, deep sand.  Hardly anybody was riding the trails.  So it wasn't just me.  Plus it's a 2.5 hour drive oneway.  So if you want to do just a one day trip.  It's 5hours of driving.  Sorry for the bitching but I was disappointed in the bike and myself.

I've ridden my 230f in north eastern sand pits plenty... not really the same I know. Still, it's not ideal, especially with my TKC 80 dual sport tires on there. But like you said, if you stay on the throttle its ok. I have a 200xc-w that does better in the sand, but when i ride the 230 there I usually do fine by staying on the throttle. But that becomes an issue in the whoops where that bike bottoms out like no other. 

That bike is a beginner bike...end of story.  Its designed to be ridden on dirt roads and smooth single/double track.   Riding anything besides those conditions on that and expecting to have a good experience is naive.   

Deep sand is hard to ride on any bike, and really puts a magnifying glass on poor technique.  

• Like 5

Did you try another bike at the same location and have better results, or did you observe others on different bikes having better results?  

Deep sand isn't a novice's playground.  The more experience I get, the more I enjoy it, and I ride small bore 2 strokes that really suffer in it.

• 2 weeks later...

The bike is fine.  Most people that don't have experience riding sand find it hard because they can't totally control the bike. You have to be prepared for a bike that wanders.  Get your butt back and stay towards the middle of the trail so the bike has some room to skate around a bit.... It's fun when you realize you can't be precise but just flow with it...

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
Rode the CRF230f for the first time at Florida Track and Trails today.  It sucked.  Sugar sand is a foot deep and this bike ain't made for that.  Bike was squirrely as hell.  Front end wasn't stable and neither was the rear.  It has a rear sand tire on it too.  You have to always be on the throttle or it sinks in the sand.  I know some of it is me.  But even the trail I tried to ride was nothing but deep sand.  You need power to ride in this stuff.  I didn't have fun.  Definitely not a good bike to get back into dirt riding down here.  It would be fine up north in real dirt.  IMHO you must have at least a 250/300 two stroke or a 450 four stroke MX bike.  The trails aren't like up north.  They are somewhat wide and nothing but deep, deep sand.  Hardly anybody was riding the trails.  So it wasn't just me.  Plus it's a 2.5 hour drive oneway.  So if you want to do just a one day trip.  It's 5hours of driving.  Sorry for the bitching but I was disappointed in the bike and myself.

Nah, it’s not the bike man. It’s your first time riding in a long time. Sand is gonna be very challenging for anyone who is new to riding. You definitely don’t need a 450 or 250 smoker to ride sand and have fun. Ever seen Dakar rally? Not exactly a 450 mx bike. I basically only ride sand, on a 250f, and I love it. I wouldn’t give up on the bike just yet man. I would get frustrated too when I first started, still do from time to time. Just remember, it was your 1st time in a long time. Next time will probably be at least 50% better.

Staying on the gas is the most important technique in sand, followed closely by getting your weight off the front wheel and over the rear end, keeping momentum up, and using the “row” motion over bumps/whoops.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I grew up riding a 2003 230f at Croom which is similar riding conditions. It wasnt the perfect bike, but it sure was a hell of a lot better in the sand than the xr200 before that. I was able to get 3rd of 4th gear in the woop sections on the outside, and I was able to cut through sand at Sand Hill in higher gears. Theres a lot of good advice in this thread regarding riding in sand as well youtube videos, in fact I watched a couple good ones recently as I just got back into riding and wanted to refresh my brain. But definitely staying high in the rpms, clutching and braking less, weight off the front, staying above the bike in corners and weighting the outside peg. Tires and air pressure definitely matter too, and sometimes having a little more sag.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All good advice so far, Michigan is basically all foot deep sugar sand. All of the orv trails are whooped out sugar sand unless they are always shaded, then its only 6" deep or so. It takes some time to get used to the squirrelly feeling, but once you do you will realize that momentum is what will keep you in control in the sand. Its easier to go faster, and there is a point where you are going to slow altogether. Its almost like keeping a boat on plane.

Keep practicing, if my kids can ride sand on a klx110 and ttr125 your 230 should be fine.

• Like 1

I used to struggle so much in sand and was at that point of giving up. My best friend even suggested that I get a quad bike, that was 10 years ago. Now it is all I ride 90% of the time. 

I would agree it's mostly technique, but the equipment does make a huge difference. I had a KDX 200 and just didn't feel comfortable in the sand, it tired me out so quickly. 

Now I'm on a 2009 KTM 200 XCW that is WAY lighter, with better suspension and much more torque. It is such a breeze to cut through the sand. But I ride sand everyday after work and most weekends. I freaking LOVE it and in fact I feel much more comfortable with more confidence in the sand than on hard packed terrain.  

Keep at it, you will get better and then the fun starts ??

You need stiffer suspension settings or probably springs in your case. Sand and soft suspension dont mix. If your suspension is right, you can stay on top of the sand, get forward more when turning and stay neutral and loose while accelerating. Let the bike move with the sand, dont get anxious and fight it or you will be a tired boy.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, 69fastback said:

Stand up on the pegs, keep your weight back, and stay on the throttle. When it starts getting squirrely, use the throttle to straighten it back up. Stand up on the pegs. I repeat....stand up. 

That's really good advice.  I can't think of a time I'm not standing up in the sand even in tight corners where there's almost always a rut to use.  Knees bent, butt back, head in front of the bars with elbows up, and back straight.  Basically, always in the attack position.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:08 AM, 69fastback said:

Stand up on the pegs, keep your weight back, and stay on the throttle. When it starts getting squirrely, use the throttle to straighten it back up. Stand up on the pegs. I repeat....stand up. 

Depends on the bike.  A front end heavy bike really needs you as far back as you can be which oftentimes mean having your butt on the very back of the seat.  The CRF230F is a front end heavy bike, the OP needs to experiment a bit.  Standing is over rated a bunch.

19 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Depends on the bike.  A front end heavy bike really needs you as far back as you can be which oftentimes mean having your butt on the very back of the seat.  The CRF230F is a front end heavy bike, the OP needs to experiment a bit.  Standing is over rated a bunch.

Shane Watts teaches that the best way to get weight on the back wheel is to stand as use the pegs as a fulcrum to leverage the back wheel by leaning back.  

standing...especially in sand...isn’t over rated at all.  )Watch Jeffrey Herlings ride sand...he is standing almost the entire time)...it’s how bikes were designed to be ridden, and they work best standing.

the best off road riders in the world stand almost all the time.

1 minute ago, D.j. Gardner said:

Shane Watts teaches that the best way to get weight on the back wheel is to stand as use the pegs as a fulcrum to leverage the back wheel by leaning back.  

standing...especially in sand...isn’t over rated at all.  )Watch Jeffrey Herlings ride sand...he is standing almost the entire time)...it’s how bikes were designed to be ridden, and they work best standing.

I'll say it again, depends on the bike.  You have probably never ridden a CRF230F or Honda XR in sand. 

As far as standing goes, sitting once in awhile to rest your legs on sections where that is possible is a darn good idea.  Standing, for trail riding, not racing, is not a constant necessity.  Try it, it may help you get less tired on long rides.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, BOAB said:

Well, just like I said, keep your weight back and use the throttle. Standing up allows you to get move leverage on the pegs, getting more weight on the back tire, while keeping the weight lower on the bike because you’re applying it at the pegs.  Standing is the best option 90% of the time  

Edited by 69fastback

On 10/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, D.j. Gardner said:

Exactly. Using the leverage of your legs while standing will keep the weight back more.