Sign in to follow this  

Stripped oil cap

You should be able to spin that out of there with an awl without taking the clutch cover off.  No fire needed.   

• Like 1

Heat up the end of a big blade screwdriver and push it in to make a slot in plug, remove, let cool. Then put back in and screw out. Easy.

I like your idea much better and will give it a whirl. The kid I bought the bike from definitely muscled everything on nice and tight - the one plastic I couldn’t believe how tight it was - but anyway - awesome bike and I didn’t pay for it to be perfect! Thanks

I like the screwdriver idea. You could also use the screwdriver(Not heated) and fill the rest with hot glue gun.

12 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

looks really well maintained

That oil cap does make me wonder if the oil was ever changed again after the cap broke.  😏  I've been given a couple of bikes over the years , a several year old YZ125 and an even older YZ175 , both were nicer than this.    😏

Try a left hand drill bit. Go slow, that may back it out. Drill through the center of the damaged plug. 

Try a left hand drill bit. Go slow, that may back it out. Drill through the center of the damaged plug. 

We’re all good - the two screw with vise and screwdriver trick was the winner but all your ideas were great thanks. Oil didn’t look too bad - doesn’t look like he rode it much - def crashed it a bit. No surprise - these bikes aren’t for everyone. Buy the way this is my project bike I bought off some kid so dirty just means cheap and probably a bit of extra maintenance. But I agree with your comments. Thanks again all!
  • Like 1