Sign in to follow this  

How do you Install universal decals on your Dirt Bike.

So i want to add some decals to a 1995 xr200r but i cant find any decal kits, how do i install the rectangular universal decals? Like these...

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Factory-Effex-Blue-Universal-Background-Decal-Shee/03-0244?model=Factory+Effex+Blue+Universal+Background+Decal+Sheets+x3&thumb=%2Fassets%2Fthumb%2F03-0244.jpg&sku=03-0244&qty=3

Tape them up to your plastics and get a feel for the right size, cut to fit. Wipe down the plastics with rubbing alcohol and wash with dish soap and water. Dry really well, install! You can’t really mess it up as long as the shape you cut out is right (what you want) and your plastics are clean and oil free (think about fingerprints, etc).

Don’t attempt to put those on your gas tank.  They won’t work.

I've been installing and removing decals from cars and bikes for decades. I have done just what you are trying to do to an older bike with no pre-cut options.

Here is what I do.

Get a clean surface, use dawn soap bath, when dry wipe with rubbing alcohol and let dry, don't touch it after that. Any burrs on the plastic, remove with a single sided razor blade.

Cut out patterns out of poster board or thick paper, more time consuming but will lead to a perfect fit. Once you have the pattern, trace it on the paper side of the decals. Cut out the decal and test fit. 

Get a spray bottle with water in it and add 2 drops of dishsoap. Spray the application area liberally, then peel the paper from the decal and spray the sticky side liberally.

Have handy a rubber squeegee or a 4 inch body putty applicator, those crappy auto parts places have them cheap. You need something flat, flexible and thin to push the bubbles out. Also a heat gun.

Apply the wet decal to the wet area and position, starting from the center out work the bubbles out. Being wet the decal is going to move around, just keep centering it. If there are curves on the plastic (there always are on a bike) they will cause you hell with wrinkles. Use the heat gun from about a foot away and heat the curves, constantly working it with the tool. Force all the water and bubbles out to the edges. When immediately done, use the blue painters masking tape, and tape several edges in place. Sometimes if the decal is still wet it can slide downward. The heat gun can be tricky, too much and the decal will blister or stretch too far. You can also spray the same bottle on top of the decal as you are working it for lubrication. After a few hours, the decal is set, the water evaporates and decals stick like glue, even survive pressure washing.

If any portion of the decal you apply is clear, be super careful not to touch the sticky side, the fingerprints will show through the decal every time.

Practice makes perfect, this is a learned technique but will look factory. Try not to touch the sticky edges. You can make masking tape tabs for holding it, take a 3 inch piece of tape and stick a 1/3 of it to itself, then stick that to the top of the sticker in several places.

This picture I did this same technique on for the side number plate background with complex multiple curves on. They don't sell these for my bike either.

IMG_3601.JPG

Edited by kdxyardsale
  • Like 3

kdxyardsale,

What is that rear tire in the picture? Is the front the same brand?

Dog

On 12/2/2018 at 5:44 PM, dogfoot said:

kdxyardsale,

What is that rear tire in the picture? Is the front the same brand?

Dog

.MEFO explorers. Really good tires. Not the cheapest but affordable. I ride about 70/30 dirt/street and they work really good, even twisties on wet pavement. Not quite a full moto tire, but I have gone on some wicked trails on these. Wearing well, probably 2k on them and holding up very well. They weren't very available when I bought them, but I got some bike dealer in Utah or Idaho to send them to me, I think I paid about 130 for the rear and 100 for the front. Looks like they might have gone up. A lot more places are carrying them. They were made in Germany when I bought them.