Sign in to follow this  

Magazines?

Which mags are credible in terms of bike reviews?

Edited by gatorfan

None. Save your money.

MXA is okish for mx only.

Dirtbike and Transworld are only good as butt wipe and fail at that. 

Dirtbiketest.com is probably your best bet.

IMO the influence of the Socal dirtbike scene is becoming less and less important.  That's a good thing for the rest of us. 

Yeah, none of them really seem to tell the total truth. I think you can get a decent idea of what they think if you read between the lines. But as mentioned above the CA centric approach limits their relatability.

I do subscribe to dirt bike, mainly because I always have, and it's free anyway with the gift card they send for subscribing.

Dirtbiketest.com and keeferinctesting.com are interesting. The DBT tear down of the FX engine is one of the things that sold me on the FX.

The biggest thing missing in the dirt bike journalism world is the sense of fun and adventure. They are all so focused on tests and race results. I think a dirt bike magazine similar to Bike magazine in the mountain bike world could be successful. Bike has 1 big test issue a year. The rest is focused on the passion, fun, and people of mountain biking.

I started reading motorcycle magazines in 1981 and bought and read so many over the following decades, I filled up a 55 steel drum with them - which I eventually threw away or gave away.

I still have a couple hundred of them left.

How are these magazines or websites getting their advertising and/or getting their test bikes?

Is it from the official USA importer of the bike?

Will they have to be careful of not offending the advertiser or importer?

If somebody got invited to the recent intro ride of the 2019 Honda CRF450L, rides the bike at the event, and goes back to work and writes a story on how the bike is a pile of junk, well, do you think American Honda will want that guy back for the next test session or give him another bike to test in the near future?

Back around 1983, a certain magazine started really pumping-up a certain manufacturer's bikes, writing how they were great.

Within a year or so, one of the editors goes to work for that manufacturer's USA division.

I still read tests and reviews to this day, but always with a grain of salt.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Helpful 1