Dirt Legal How Does It Work?

So a friend of mine just got his tag from Dirt Legal and I'm just amazed at how this can be done? How is it so easy for them to get a tag for anything? I would just like a general idea of how this works because I can't understand why its "impossible" to title or tag most of these bikes,quads etc. but for this company its easy peasy. No inspections no nothing. I just can't understand.

If you aren't familiar with the site you can see it here, https://www.dirtlegal.com And it works. He got his tag a few days ago. 

Edited by brraaapperdoodle

I would say this is 100% a bull shit scam! This will never fly in NORTH CAROLINA! The scary part is and also maybe unknow? If they can't get you a tag they will refund your money honey! We all know how refunds work!

• Like 1

I would say this is 100% a bull shit scam! This will never fly in NORTH CAROLINA! The scary part is and also maybe unknow? If they can't get you a tag they will refund your money honey! We all know how refunds work!

Dude, it’s legit. He got his tag and title.

I’m with you though, seems like total BS. That’s why I’m asking if anyone can explain how this works to me.

So what state did your friend pull this off in! Be great to see when the time comes if he can just show up at the DMV and get a new tag! Keep us posted on this deal for sure. Very interesting!

So what state did your friend pull this off in! Be great to see when the time comes if he can just show up at the DMV and get a new tag! Keep us posted on this deal for sure. Very interesting!

I’m mind blown. Because how can you get that tag with no insurance and no inspection? I mean I’m all for getting dirtbikes on the road but wtf how is it so easy for them and impossible for us?

Also, if this was a scam, how long do you think they would get away with scamming people before they got put on blast here and everywhere else on the internet... I was very nervous when he filled out the paperwork and have them power of attorney, basically allowing them to have full rights over that vehicle. It sketches me out

Typically this is accomplished in titling the machine in a state that has no restrictions (like Vermont or South Dakota). They now have an on road title. That gets transferred to the 'difficult' state (or perhaps to an intermediary secondary state to hide the trail). It is a simple out of state, road legal title transfer at this point. The problem comes when the state does a VIN check, flags the machine for not being road worthy certified and the DMV checks to see if the proper inspection and certifications have been completed verifying the conversion. Most states simply send a letter telling the owner to comply (if possible) or they pull the plates.

The power of attorney lets them reassign the title from state to state as if it were being bought by out of state buyers. It is somewhat shady, not a lot different than what car wholesalers do to totaled cars. Transfer the tiles and buyers multiple times to hide the face the vehicle was totaled at some point.

There are always loopholes and there are always mechanisms in place to close those loopholes.

I plated a 2008 Yamaha WR250F here in VA. I bought the bike new, on the way home, went to a really rural DMV. Asked for plates. They gave them with not a blink of an eye. Because a lot of people come in with farm machines and need plates and such to travel from field to field. I suspect one day VA will not renew the reg unless it 'grandfathers'.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Here in NC when the DMV pulls up the Vin. No. and it shows up dirt bike! They could care less and tell you to turn in your tag! So when the next date comes for new tags and your local DMV puts it into their computer it shows up tag not approved. Well at least you got to ride on the road for 1 year! But you paid for liability ins. $30 inspection fee. personal property tax and the registration fee. All for 1 year and your done on the road! It's something I'll never understand? If it passes the DMV M/C inspection then what's the problem? Sounds almost political!

Unless SD changed they will issue a title with your home state address. Most states require an in state address on a title. This makes it legal in some  states to leave on the SD plates. 

The company doing the paper work for you is charging you for a little paper work and the knowledge. Their methods are easily found online. Im amazed how this "secret" isnt well known by now.  To lazy to do a good search is the only reason i can come up with. 

IMO there is not one answer and LOTS of variables.

Some examples for where I live in BC Canada the insurance/licensing places do not check the actual vehicles for what would be required to make them actually road legal and that is sort of vague.

2003 DRZ400E with just a head light - No problems getting a plate/road insurance and really not sure IF indicators and a brake light are actually required to make it road legal but my buddy (previous owner road in on the street since 2003 and has never been pulled over) and I've had it for 2 years and never an issue riding on the road but I recently added indicators/brake light to make it safer.

2018 KTM300XCW - 2 stroke bikes regardless of lighting cannot be street plated or insured. Another buddy recently bought one and since we need to at the very least register all off road vehicles to get a ORV sticker/plate (except private property) he walked into his local insurance place and gave them his papers and told them he wanted to get his insurance/plate. They assumed he meant street insurance/plate not sure why the VIN did not come up as a NON street legal bike but they gave my the street insurance/plate  and dude could not be happier cus its like owning a unicorn 🙂

Honda CRF250R - A close coarse competition bike and cannot be street plated or insured. It was back in 2016 that BC made it mandatory to resister all ORV and considering above I wish I had just asked for a street insurance/plate cus who knows if they actually look at the VIN but too late know that its registered as a ORV.

Then at the end of the day, it comes down to IF you got in an accident and it was your fault would the insurance company look at the street legalness of the bike or if you got pulled over by the police would they know the bike is not actually street legal for where you live. IMO you don't want to deal with either of these situations.

wait what?? I mean I live in CO where we can plate any dirtbikes but not ATVS. How the heck can you get a plate and registration for it online??? what about when you need to renew it? How does it register with the state youre living in

I tried it once and now I have a butt rash. Help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m mind blown. Because how can you get that tag with no insurance and no inspection? I mean I’m all for getting dirtbikes on the road but wtf how is it so easy for them and impossible for us?

Also, if this was a scam, how long do you think they would get away with scamming people before they got put on blast here and everywhere else on the internet... I was very nervous when he filled out the paperwork and have them power of attorney, basically allowing them to have full rights over that vehicle. It sketches me out
I live in Ohio obviously, my Beta Xtrainer came home from the dealer with a 45 day temporary tag. Most European bikes state motorcycle on the COO; the dealer can title it as such or off road only.

For everything else it is as simple as shelling out $15 dollars and filling out a change of body form stating you made the necessary modifications to make a vehicle street legal. No inspection or smog test required.

Not all states require insurance or inspect. Mine doesnt .

• Like 1

I've seen xr650r, CR500, etc street plated here in Idaho. Weird that you can do that through the internet though. I would be really nervous about signing over a power of attorney.

19 hours ago, RawbW said:

I tried it once and now I have a butt rash. Help.

Help yourself. Cream is readily available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to get my CR500 street legal here in Louisiana. They make some serious claims on the dirtlegal site. I came here looking for some reassurance. I didn’t get it. If I was rich. I’d go ahead and take one for the team. I still might do it. I’m calling them tomorrow and gonna ask a lot of questions. I googled reviews for dirtlegal and it was all good. 

• Like 1

I used Dirt Legal to plate two bikes in SD. I basically just did it to ride on "street legal only" forest service roads to connect trails. I renew every year through dirt legal. The service is fast and legit. I have not been pulled over or inspected, so I do not know what will happen in those scenarios. I have a cheap lighting kit and insurance, so hopefully they wouldn't beat me up too bad.

• Helpful 1

You may escape the state alive if they don't find out you're from CA.

Good luck.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:34 AM, brraaapperdoodle said:

Because how can you get that tag with no insurance and no inspection? I mean I’m all for getting dirtbikes on the road but wtf how is it so easy for them and impossible for us?

In Pennsylvania, its trivial to get a tag with no insurance and no inspection. They are separate. You get a title, registration and tag through a "title notary" who handles the paperwork, takes in the fees and sends the paperwork off to some lost office in the State Capitol in Harrisburg. Its a separate issue to have insurance and safety inspection. It is illegal to ride on public roads without insurance and a safety inspection sticker, but those are separate processes.

Insurance for a dirt bike is super cheap. Well under $50 a year for just liability, which is all that is required. Getting the safety inspection sticker is a much more complicated matter, as you have to get it inspected and they look for lots of stuff, like DOT tires, brake lights, etc.

Lots of my riding buddies have titled, registered and plated bikes, and have insurance. A lot do not have the inspection sticker. Riding on public streets without a plate can get the bike impounded. Riding without an inspection sticker gets you an equipment ticket.

• Like 3