Sign in to follow this  

Cycle News Dual Sport 450 Shootout

I enjoyed that, id really like to try a 450l dressed up the way id want it, you know stripped down. They’re right about the rear suspension on the beta thats why i run less sag than spec. But they didnt address the betas superior suspension to the other euro bikes. After riding some built austrian 5’s, I’d still prefer the beta in the tight stuff. So i dont know what theyre talking about there. But whatever’s...
It was also interesting to notice they used some of my verbiage when talking about the beta. It would seem big brothers listening.

2 hours ago, uptite said:

What do you expect when ktm and husky send ringers for tests, Vortex ECU's ?????????

Later George

How do you know the ECUs were switched?  Not mentioned anywhere in the test about that mod, only talked about tires.

9 minutes ago, Gflo said:

How do you know the ECUs were switched?  Not mentioned anywhere in the test about that mod, only talked about tires.

You ever ride a stock one? what does the spec sheet in the test say  (NA). Just my observation

Later George.

Yes, I have ridden a stock one.  I own one.   I think it’s a bit of a stretch to assume a Vortex ECU based on a “NA” on the spec sheet.

• Like 1

I remember back in the day when kokusan ignition was unobtanium honda works stuff, now it comes standard on a beta.

That's cool

• Like 2

6 hours ago, woods-rider said:

Damn, I didn’t realize that the new L was 40lbs heavier than the 500EXC!

Probably because the Honda weight included the coolant, oil, fuel and battery.

Hey, if you're going for dry weight, why put electrolyte in the battery? And if there's no electrolyte in the battery, why put it in the bike, it won't do anything.

46 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Probably because the Honda weight included the coolant, oil, fuel and battery.

Hey, if you're going for dry weight, why put electrolyte in the battery? And if there's no electrolyte in the battery, why put it in the bike, it won't do anything.

The Cycle News listed both weights as wet. Are they just taking the specs off the manufacturers websites, or do they actually weigh the bikes in ready-to-ride condition like they should?

image.png

Edited by woods-rider
  • Like 1

This is just on observation. But I kinda felt like they were catering to the honda, and really selling it. Now that I see the spec sheet, it looks like it even more.

Isn't it peculiar, dont you think...

8 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

The Cycle News listed both weights as wet. Are they just taking the specs off the manufacturers websites, or do they actually weigh the bikes in ready-to-ride condition like they should?

Good question. Just did a quick search and there is no agreement anywhere for weight.

I can't see the Beta weighing 15 pounds more than the KTM/Husky, but two gallons of fuel weighs about 14 pounds. I do know Yamaha reports wet with fuel tank full.

Here is the most ridiculous; Ha!! Dirtbike magazine;

WAIT, WHAT ABOUT WEIGHT?
What puts the new KTM in a category above previous dual-sport bikes and perhaps most dedicated off-road bikes isn’t the motor, the mapping or the muffler. It’s the weight. That 244-pound figure is for real, and you don’t even need the stunningly accurate Dirt Bike super-scale to prove it. You know the KTM is as light as any four-stroke off-road bike from the first ride. It’s only a few pounds heavier than a Yamaha YZ450F motocross bike despite having an electric starter, a kickstand and all that street-legal stuff. https://dirtbikemagazine.com/ktm-500exc-dual-sport-full-test-2/

Cheezes C. Reihst!!!! 🤣

A lithium battery weighs almost two pounds!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, Beta300recat said:

Good question. Just did a quick search and there is no agreement anywhere for weight.

I can't see the Beta weighing 15 pounds more than the KTM/Husky, but two gallons of fuel weighs about 14 pounds. I do know Yamaha reports wet with fuel tank full.

Here is the most ridiculous; Ha!! Dirtbike magazine;

WAIT, WHAT ABOUT WEIGHT?
What puts the new KTM in a category above previous dual-sport bikes and perhaps most dedicated off-road bikes isn’t the motor, the mapping or the muffler. It’s the weight. That 244-pound figure is for real, and you don’t even need the stunningly accurate Dirt Bike super-scale to prove it. You know the KTM is as light as any four-stroke off-road bike from the first ride. It’s only a few pounds heavier than a Yamaha YZ450F motocross bike despite having an electric starter, a kickstand and all that street-legal stuff. https://dirtbikemagazine.com/ktm-500exc-dual-sport-full-test-2/

Cheezes C. Reihst!!!! 🤣

A lithium battery weighs almost two pounds!!!!

Based on the 2017-2019 bikes I rode/moved around, KTM/Husky's weights are really close to spec. 244lbs +/- is without gas but all other liquids. Most Beta owners can't see the differences in weight but it's there. Some say to light is weak while others say proper design is less weight in many areas. Example of weight savings is a screw to hold the seat on. Beta uses an assembly of parts for tool less removal which is a nice option but really needed?? I know this is a small item but things like this add up. Better cost and weight savings would be a 1/4 turn locking screw like what the Sherco or red Husqvarna used. No right or wrong here just different approach to end resulted design.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, woods-rider said:

image.png

I wouldn't read to much into any of these bike tests and the opinions of the alleged authorities  doing the testing.Especially when they blatantly &%$#@! up and list the Beta's forks as 38 mm usd.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, weantright said:

Based on the 2017-2019 bikes I rode/moved around, KTM/Husky's weights are really close to spec. 244lbs +/- is without gas but all other liquids. Most Beta owners can't see the differences in weight but it's there.

Yes, I totally believe that the KTM enduro weighs the same as a Yamaha motocross bike and I so believe it, without either one being weighed by the author of the article. :bonk:

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Wow! So much insecurity about a pile of metal and plastic.

Not sure you're referring to me because you didn't quote me, but the topic of my quote was the Dirt Bike article comparing the Yamaha to the KTM. 😏

I think it is a great time to be a consumer.  This article basically says, "you can't go wrong with any of these bikes".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Wow! So much insecurity about a pile of metal and plastic.

Did you just belittle our hobby? Them there is trigger words.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RawbW said:

Did you just belittle our hobby? Them there is trigger words.

George likes trolling the Beta forum. :busted: