FE350 or FX350??

lol....so right when I was about to make a decision (decided on the FE350) the dealer recommended a FX350. He mentioned it would be a better offroad bike, but also can hit highway speeds just like the FE350 due to it having more power. Also mention I can adjust the suspension on the fly since its air...which i reallllly liked. he just mentioned maybe at a 14T in front from the 13T 

The FE350 was perfect. I test rode it from a buddy and indeed I was able to hit 70 75MPH with no probs! Revs weren't even that high like my KLX250.... it was actually pretty comfortable too...not too bad. 

Now here comes the FX350 which I know nothing of except its a good woods/enduro bike but not sure about its roadway speeds. per the dealer, he said it will def hit highway speeds when I need to trail hop. The FX350 also felt incredibly nimble! but coming from a drz400/klx250 anything will feel light.

So FE350 or FX350 and up the gearing a tiny bit? Again, my riding is dedicated woods bike but just trail hop or get back to my truck or get lunch. 

im going to keep my DRZ400 with 15/42 gearing for more highway and exploring. and the next bike is more for trail/rocky riding but options to hit highway speeds

Edited by willc86

If you live in a place where the plate is a requirement, and it is tough to get one if the bike didn't start that way then the FE is the way to go.

If all you need is a dirt bike then get the FX.

For a single purpose type of bike (which seems to be you) the suspension isn't a big deal between the two IMO. With what you are coming off of, the FX is going to feel stiff no matter what you do. If you haven't messed with the suspension on the KLX you sure wont need to do anything with an FE.

I'm not sure what the internal gear differences are between the FE and FC 350s. But for general trail riding I wouldn't be gearing an FX taller... I would bet most would say a guy should gear the FE lower for dedicated trail riding.

11 minutes ago, eastreich said:

If you live in a place where the plate is a requirement, and it is tough to get one if the bike didn't start that way then the FE is the way to go.

If all you need is a dirt bike then get the FX.

For a single purpose type of bike (which seems to be you) the suspension isn't a big deal between the two IMO. With what you are coming off of, the FX is going to feel stiff no matter what you do. If you haven't messed with the suspension on the KLX you sure wont need to do anything with an FE.

I'm not sure what the internal gear differences are between the FE and FC 350s. But for general trail riding I wouldn't be gearing an FX taller... I would bet most would say a guy should gear the FE lower for dedicated trail riding.

thanks!! forgot to mention a few key components.

1. very ez to plate a bike. Can even plate a 2 stroke. Reason i wont get a 2 stroke is because ill be hoping on the road a few times in between

2. I also weigh 230lbs with gear.

3. the gearing on the FE350 felt perfect more my kind of riding. I actually enjoyed the gears being a little longer.

So the main difference in the FE350 VS FX350 would be engine mapping and internal gearing?
Whats nice is, FE350 i already tested it...i can hop on the road when needed. Just wondering about the FX350

as far as requirement goes...yeah...def need a late since I hop on rampart range rd a lot and also hit back roads a lot to trail hop. 

35 minutes ago, willc86 said:

thanks!! forgot to mention a few key components.

1. very ez to plate a bike. Can even plate a 2 stroke. Reason i wont get a 2 stroke is because ill be hoping on the road a few times in between

2. I also weigh 230lbs with gear.

3. the gearing on the FE350 felt perfect more my kind of riding. I actually enjoyed the gears being a little longer.

So the main difference in the FE350 VS FX350 would be engine mapping and internal gearing?
Whats nice is, FE350 i already tested it...i can hop on the road when needed. Just wondering about the FX350

as far as requirement goes...yeah...def need a late since I hop on rampart range rd a lot and also hit back roads a lot to trail hop. 

A lot more differences than just the mapping and gearing. You have all the emissions stuff, camshafts are different, etc... 

Frankly, with what you seem to ride the FE is it. The only question I have is what year is the FX the dealer is trying to talk you into? If he is trying to sell you a 2018 is that because he can't get rid of it since the 2019 is a new chassis? And if so, what kind of deal is it going to be? Could be a lot of money between the two that would let you put a stator, lights, silencer with spark arrestor, etc... on the FX. And yeah, others will say you can easily run lights on the FX with no updated stator. I'm not in that camp. The FE has a lot larger stator output for a reason.

As for the suspension, note that with an air fork you don't adjust the pressure during a ride typically. The air is just to replace the springs. Once you experiment to find the pressure that works for your weight you typically stick with it. Same as a shock spring. At 230 in an ideal world you are going to need to do a shock spring on either bike and will need to do fork springs on the FE. The AER fork will save you a few bucks by not having to buy springs, but it will require more maintenance as you have to check it every ride, and it will change pressure during long rides as well.

I live in MT, so like you I can plate anything. With my 450 I bought an FC because it is the same powertrain as the FX and was significantly lower in price from the dealer. I got my FC for $1000 OTD less than an FX and more than $2000 less than the FE.  I race my Husky, so the FE was off my list as it would cost me too much money to get it ready for my needs. 

If KTM/Husky still sold an XC-W style four stroke that is what I would have bought.

As much as my FC is now an FX/FE (18" rear wheel, bigger stator, lights, large fuel tank, 6spd transmission, plate, etc...) if I'm going trail riding where I have to ride even a few roads I'm taking my XR650R.

• Like 1

☝️  yea i second with eastreich

in a nutshell, FX is more race oriented, lighter & quicker, FE is more trail & enduro/road oriented, little heavier but has all you need for a plated bike... 

For solely ripping the woods, i think the FX is hands down more fun, but its just an opinion. The AER's on the FX are really good... I really like the 6 speed tranny in the FX too, the FX comes with a 14t, most guys that ride woods put on a 13t for the tight & technical stuff... changing gears is easy. The FX will need a fan kit too for woods riding. Pending where you live, the FX will also need a spark arrestor. No idea about top speed but this thing hauls the mail & then some. A lot of guys get the FC's then convert them over to FX type specs' cause you can get the FC's cheaper, like what eastreich did with his 450.

If you like the FE then just get it, we are all different and have different needs/wants.

The most important part is just go out & have fun.

• Like 1

thanks for replies. Yeah i think my heart tells me FE350 lol. I mean coming off a drz400 and KLX250 im sure the FE350 will feel like a dream and I dont really have anything else to compare it to, so I wont know any better. I def need something a bit more road oriented and my riding anyways is rock stuff with those colorado trails. Guessing this is more for FE350 type of riding?

image.png.4e5f417d72f3d4cfb595c15245134c92.png

image.png.dcaf214ed53bbe1fa90be2a85d82dba6.png

image.png.75c0d91c87926a2baa7e135c111e5c5a.png

Edited by willc86

If the FX350 didn't have air forks, this would be a tough choice.

You can also do some pretty cheap mods to pick up some of that lost power due to emissions on the FE350. 

I like spring forks for all day trail riding, with fork bleeders something like this: https://mojomotosport.com/products/husqvarna-fork-bleeders-mojo-hus-fb?variant=19373861381&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8fXmz-2B3wIVAxx9Ch2v0AacEAQYAiABEgKz-vD_BwE

Air forks on an MX track makes sense, but from my perspective (old guy, whose only ridden spring forks), I just don't know that I'd want them on a 50-80 mile trail ride.   Maybe others with the FX350 who trail ride can chime in?

Good luck with your choice! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheath said:

If the FX350 didn't have air forks, this would be a tough choice.

You can also do some pretty cheap mods to pick up some of that lost power due to emissions on the FE350. 

I like spring forks for all day trail riding, with fork bleeders something like this: https://mojomotosport.com/products/husqvarna-fork-bleeders-mojo-hus-fb?variant=19373861381&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8fXmz-2B3wIVAxx9Ch2v0AacEAQYAiABEgKz-vD_BwE

Air forks on an MX track makes sense, but from my perspective (old guy, whose only ridden spring forks), I just don't know that I'd want them on a 50-80 mile trail ride.   Maybe others with the FX350 who trail ride can chime in?

Good luck with your choice! ?

haha thanks!! yeah im reading pros and cons about air forks

I think whats breaking or making the deal is the onroad factor. I know for sure the FE350 can cruise 70MPH when I need to go to the next trail or go back to the truck. im not sure on the FX350 capabilities for on road use if it compares to the FE350. Its going to be a hard choice for sure. I mean They both seem like very capable bikes and can do technical / single track and enduro type riding from what I researched. 

As far as reliability goes, im guessing the FX350 is designed to take more beating due to it being a cross country bike?

Edited by willc86

Once the FE engine performance is improved to run a bit richer, I don't *think* there is a reliability difference between the two.

Without the big honking mirrors and turn signals hanging out, the FX350 would suffer less damage in a tip over.  But for durability, I don't think there is much difference.  I'm trying to think of what I've damaged in races, and can't think of anything off the top of my head that would make me worry on the FE.  I would have no issues, pulling mirrors and turn signals, changing tires and the rear fender light/plate, then racing the FE, as long as the engine performance mods were done.

6 minutes ago, sheath said:

Something I just thought of:  Have you researched through the KTM forum?

The 350 for Husky and KTM are very similar bikes (sans pds), so you may pick up some good input, as I'm guessing their are more KTM bikes out there than Husky. 

hmm true! ill check this out too before I make a purchase!

so just saw a video of fc350 husky going 70 mph on highway plated with much more power to go.....my guess is FX350 should be able to do the same then right? Though I think MX bikes are internally geared a bit taller right?

does anyone know the internal gear ratio on the FE350, FC350, FX350? some reason husqvarnas site does not list it for me

sorry for all the question but dang never thought it would be this tough to get a bike that suites my needs and able to grow right into it lol. 

Edited by willc86

1 hour ago, willc86 said:

so just saw a video of fc350 husky going 70 mph on highway plated with much more power to go.....my guess is FX350 should be able to do the same then right? Though I think MX bikes are internally geared a bit taller right?

does anyone know the internal gear ratio on the FE350, FC350, FX350? some reason husqvarnas site does not list it for me

sorry for all the question but dang never thought it would be this tough to get a bike that suites my needs and able to grow right into it lol. 

FC350 is a 5 speed, the FE/FX have 6 speed boxes.  Modern Austrian MX bikes will have a taller first, second, and third gear, with fourth and fifth usually close to the same gears found in a 6 speed bike.  That is the "close ratio."  Typically first in the MX bike is pretty close to second in the six speed transmission.

If you look up the parts fiche for the bikes you can see the tooth counts for each gear in the transmissions to figure it out...

EDIT: I am feeling benevolent today.  Or I like wasting time away from my month end work spreadsheets to do one for fun.

The FX has different gearing than the FE. I am not bothering with the FC since it is a 5 speed.  By design the FX has a taller gear sets in first through third gears (close ratio), with 4, 5, and 6 being identical between the two.  Not sure why they put a goofy third gear in the FE (in contrast to something a little taller to make it a smoother transition to 4th) but they put a goofy 5th in the FE450/501s too when compared to the FC/FX...

image.png.3503c7d9a986b23f45bd8919758cfd7e.png

Edited by eastreich
Added transmission chart

I sAy buy the fe NOT the fx.

In the uk the fx is only purchased by people doing fast paced, closed course enduro racing. Everyone who trail rides and even races starts with the fe and for good reason, it designed for it (don’t forget though that we get the de restricted ECUs as standard).

If your going to be racing then yes get the fx. Most people only buy them because they are cheaper and think it’s saving them money.

Like someone else said, you won’t be adjusting suspension on the go and even if you did, the fe can be adjusted for preload, compression and rebound without a single tool, you can’t do that with a fx which needs a air pump to make adjustments. I think your dealer is trying to sell you a left over model he can’t clear myself and isn’t necessarily doing you a just service with his recommendation...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesw9404 said:

I sAy buy the fe NOT the fx.

In the uk the fx is only purchased by people doing fast paced, closed course enduro racing. Everyone who trail rides and even races starts with the fe and for good reason, it designed for it (don’t forget though that we get the de restricted ECUs as standard).

If your going to be racing then yes get the fx. Most people only buy them because they are cheaper and think it’s saving them money.

Like someone else said, you won’t be adjusting suspension on the go and even if you did, the fe can be adjusted for preload, compression and rebound without a single tool, you can’t do that with a fx which needs a air pump to make adjustments. I think your dealer is trying to sell you a left over model he can’t clear myself and isn’t necessarily doing you a just service with his recommendation...

thank you for this. again sorry for all the dang questions....spending 10k I definitely want to be 100% sure on the next bike. And the next one I want to make sure I grow into it and keep it haha. I feel like im catching on dirt biking pretty quickly esp going 2 3x a week. I remember being scared of a trail, next day I do it with no fear and issues. and its progressing incredibly fast, esp speed wise. I am already starting to feel the weight of the DRZ slow me down and fighting the bike on more technical stuff. So just want something for sure I can 100% grow on. so thanks for all of your replies and inputs! really appreciate it!

So in a nut shell, FE350 is definitely a bike I can grow into and more than capable of handling rough rides as I progress? I just saw the gear ratios of the FX350 and saw the FX350 actually has taller gears in 1 2 and 3 and same in 5 and 6....so im guessing they are both capable of trail hopping at highway speeds lol

28 minutes ago, willc86 said:

So in a nut shell, FE350 is definitely a bike I can grow into and more than capable of handling rough rides as I progress? I just saw the gear ratios of the FX350 and saw the FX350 actually has taller gears in 1 2 and 3 and same in 5 and 6....so im guessing they are both capable of trail hopping at highway speeds lol

Yes that you can grow into it.  No on part two...

On the gearing, there is something that you have not factored in: both will only have the same top end WITH the same final gearing (sprockets). 

Note that the sprockets on the FX350 are a 13/48, while the sprockets on the FE350 are 14/45. 

If both are stock, the FE will have a lot more legs going down the highway than the FX, and both will feel about the same on the trails as the lower first gear on the FE is offset with the taller final gearing. 

Swap the FE over to the same gearing as the FX (13/48) and you will find that the FE is much happier going slower with the lower initial gears in the transmission than the FX.

Swap the FX over to the same gearing as the FE (14/45) and you are going to be in some kind of clutch abuse h e double toothpicks in tight trails.

31 minutes ago, eastreich said:

Yes that you can grow into it.  No on part two...

On the gearing, there is something that you have not factored in: both will only have the same top end WITH the same final gearing (sprockets). 

Note that the sprockets on the FX350 are a 13/48, while the sprockets on the FE350 are 14/45. 

If both are stock, the FE will have a lot more legs going down the highway than the FX, and both will feel about the same on the trails as the lower first gear on the FE is offset with the taller final gearing. 

Swap the FE over to the same gearing as the FX (13/48) and you will find that the FE is much happier going slower with the lower initial gears in the transmission than the FX.

Swap the FX over to the same gearing as the FE (14/45) and you are going to be in some kind of clutch abuse h e double toothpicks in tight trails.

gotcha!! thank you!! so seems FE350 is def my choice then. I might keep it 14/45 and i guess if I see myself doing less and less road use, i might go 13/45 which eventually might be the case as I get knobby tires. My buddy also mentioned the FE350 will be much better for technical riding. much more manageable power wise. appreciate all the feed back guys!!! and FE350 still flickable on tight stuff

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Daloof said:

Now I'm curious since its been mentioned in here... Did the 2048 FX350 come with 13/48? my 2019 fx350 came from the factory with 14/50.

Maybe. Maybe not. I just looked up the parts fiche and it showed 13/48. Doesn't mean it is correct!  I don't have a 350 so I can't verify.

I didn't look between different years to see if the sprockets were the same. I only looked at the transmission tooth counts per gear (the "Z" number in the part description).

Wouldn't be the first time a parts fiche has been wrong: I've found a few errors in the KTM 450 parts fiche and knew of errors in Honda fiche back when I worked for a dealer.