Starter bike for kids

Looking to start my son on dirt bikes but this is all new to me and I dont know where to start, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Don't want to spend thousands just in case he doesn't like it. Have been eye balling this : https://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/626/products_id/21699, thoughts? 

Thanks Victoria 

My nephew started on an electric bike, it worked well for riding around the yard.  He got so used to it that the transition to a gas powered bike was tough.  He hated the noise and vibration.  He was 5 at the time.

How old, and is he a big kid, little kid??

That's junk. You might as well buy the Razor brand from Walmart. I would assume you would have better customer service if there is a problem.

Let's be clear, both of those are toys, not dirt bikes. If you child is in the 3-6 range a Honda CRF50F or Yamaha PW50 would be more appropriate and nice used examples can be found for not much or than those toy bikes. To accurately recommend the proper bike we need to know your kids age and size.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

To add. Plenty of people have bought a PW50, CRF50 or other quality bikes like these brand new. Keep them a year or two. Sell when the kid wants to move up or it turns out the interest is not there. You will save a ton of money buying used and with luck, you will find one that looks new as well. A quality machine that is not constantly needing adjustments is the way to go. In a year or two, if your kid out grows or looses interest and you decide to sell, you very well may get all your money back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

That's junk. You might as well buy the Razor brand from Walmart. I would assume you would have better customer service if there is a problem.

Let's be clear, both of those are toys, not dirt bikes. If you child is in the 3-6 range a Honda CRF50F or Yamaha PW50 would be more appropriate and nice used examples can be found for not much or than those toy bikes. To accurately recommend the proper bike we need to know your kids age and size.

+1 on this.  Never heard of these.  And...specs show a 16" front wheel and 10" rear wheel.  WTF.  These are cheap chinese junk or expensive toys.

If you really want to start your kid on an electric bike (and some people do because they can ride them discretely in a park and such) look at the Oset electric bikes.

https://osetbikes.com/us/

These are not cheap, not common and pretty high performance.  And quite powerful.  Pretty easy to loop them because an electric motor has a ton of torque (e.g. instant acceleration).  Probably hard to find used.

A less costly approach is to look at the Japanese trail bikes that they make for kids (Honda, Yamaha, Kawaski, Suzuki).  You can usually buy them used in great condition from all those experiments that didnt work out with other people's kids.  Some of those models are mentioned above.

Look at each of these manufacturer's websites so you can see what they offer in the way of kids bikes.  You might even go sit on some of these new models at the dealers.  Doesnt mean you buy new, but will give you an idea of what fits your kid before you shop for used ones.

http://powersports.honda.com/offroad/trail.aspx

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/trail-motorcycle

https://www.kawasaki.com/  go to section on Motorcycle and then Dual Purpose Offroad for models

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Categories/Off Road

Plenty of people here are glad to help educate you and answer your questions.  I would advise you not to treat this like an impulse purchase and research it well before buying something.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

When my son was 7 he had a friend in the neighborhood that had something similar that they rode around a lot. It did nothing to help him learn to ride an actual dirt bike (I started him on a KLX110). In fact, I think it may have set him back a little initially because he had it in his head that it would be like the electric bike. He quickly discovered that was not the case and was very intimidated at first. If you want to get your son a cheap electric bike to have fun around the yard, then by all means. But dont get it with the intention of using it as a stepping stone towards an actual dirt bike. 

We can help you a lot more in recommending a specific bike if we had his age, height and weight. Also, dont buy brand new while they are still growing...I bought my son his bike brand new a year ago and he has already outgrown it. Check craigslist or Facebook marketplace for something used. 

• Like 1

My kids started on a JR50.  I think I paid $500.  They were quickly on to a CRF50, paid $650.  Then on to a KLX110, paid $750 (which was only $100 out of pocket b/c I sold the JR50 for $600).

No reason to thousands of dollars on a kids first bike.  Find a good deal on used and you will likely make money on the sale.  

• Like 2

I bought my kids a xr50 for 800 dollars this past May. Thing is mint though, not a scratch on it, needed nothing, from original owner. Only thing I have done so far is change the oil and lube the throttle assembly/cable because it got a little sticky. My 3, 6 and 10 year old all love it. What's great about these small trail bikes are the prices stay pretty steady in the used market. I don't plan on selling it in the near future since my 3 year old can ride it for a while and we have a 10 month old that I'm sure will enjoy it someday as well but I'm sure I could sell it for close to what I paid for it unless my kids mess it up(lol). So far they haven't though. I will probably be buying something a little bigger next year for my 10 year old and my 6 year old to move on too.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 4:35 AM, poldies4 said:

My nephew started on an electric bike, it worked well for riding around the yard.  He got so used to it that the transition to a gas powered bike was tough.  He hated the noise and vibration.  He was 5 at the time.

How old, and is he a big kid, little kid??

He is 4 turning 5 in January. Not exact on height and weight, around 3'6 and 45-50 lbs. 

On 12/3/2018 at 4:55 PM, Shooter88 said:

When my son was 7 he had a friend in the neighborhood that had something similar that they rode around a lot. It did nothing to help him learn to ride an actual dirt bike (I started him on a KLX110). In fact, I think it may have set him back a little initially because he had it in his head that it would be like the electric bike. He quickly discovered that was not the case and was very intimidated at first. If you want to get your son a cheap electric bike to have fun around the yard, then by all means. But dont get it with the intention of using it as a stepping stone towards an actual dirt bike. 

We can help you a lot more in recommending a specific bike if we had his age, height and weight. Also, dont buy brand new while they are still growing...I bought my son his bike brand new a year ago and he has already outgrown it. Check craigslist or Facebook marketplace for something used. 

Thank you. He is 4 turning 5 in January. Not exact on height and weight, around 3'6 and 45-50 lbs. We have a diet bike trail very close to our house and he is always interest when we drive by. 

25 minutes ago, Victoria Longstrom said:

Thank you. He is 4 turning 5 in January. Not exact on height and weight, around 3'6 and 45-50 lbs. We have a diet bike trail very close to our house and he is always interest when we drive by. 

I would look for a used Yamaha PW50 or Honda CRF50. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Mudd94 said:

My biggest pet peeve about trying to help on these threads.

I'm sorry my responses are not timely enough for you. I work long hours in a correctional facility, where personal cell phones/internet access for personal reasons are not allowed. After getting home I get about an hour an half with my kids and I prefer not to spend that time on the internet and wait to respond on my days off.

Let's try not to be so quick to judge as we don't know what others have going on. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions as I am completely new to this hobby and know my son will love it once he starts. 

He is almost 5 yes old, approx. 45-50 lbs abs about 3'6. We live close to a dirt bike trail on the foothills of red rocks and he is begging us to go! Looking to learn about this hobby over the next month and 1/2 to purchase him a bike for his birthday. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Victoria Longstrom said:

I'm sorry my responses are not timely enough for you. I work long hours in a correctional facility, where personal cell phones/internet access for personal reasons are not allowed. After getting home I get about an hour an half with my kids and I prefer not to spend that time on the internet and wait to respond on my days off.

Let's try not to be so quick to judge as we don't know what others have going on. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions as I am completely new to this hobby and know my son will love it once he starts. 

He is almost 5 yes old, approx. 45-50 lbs abs about 3'6. We live close to a dirt bike trail on the foothills of red rocks and he is begging us to go! Looking to learn about this hobby over the next month and 1/2 to purchase him a bike for his birthday. 

I apologize for everyone that made insensitive comments. To be honest, we do get a fair number of people that post once and are never heard from again. Some of the grizzled members get grouchy (I know I do) when they put out effort to help someone only to get the sense of it being a waste of time.

Stay active, keep asking questions and responding to those looking for details to better help you. Once you guys have a bike, have you boy come on to TT and be part of things (with your watchful eye of course). Call on me any time if you need forum help. I have no kids and other finding them fascinating, I know there are others here that went through the process you are going through. Get him all the gear. Boots, gloves, helmet, jersey. Insist they are on every time he rides. Convince him accuracyt is more important than simple speed. tortoise and the hare.

?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Victoria Longstrom said:

Sorry Victoria....I'll take the blame for going down that path.  Totally understand people have a real life beyond the ThumperTalk forum (it's hard to imagine but I am told it is true).  Thanks a lot @Mudd94 for getting me in trouble.  ?

I too am in Colorado and am pretty familiar with most of the riding opportunities in our state -- but certainly not all.  You might just check and confirm that the trails you are seeing are legal for dirtbikes or on private property.  I know that the places to ride near the front range/foothills of CS, Denver and Ft Colllins are pretty limited with Rainbow Falls, Rampart Range, etc.  You might just look at www.staythetrail.org and go to the trailmaps section to look at the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) published by the National Forest Service showing where you are legal to ride OHV (off highway vehicles).  I think the BLM also publishes some maps as well that you can find on that page.

I am guessing you might be down in the Penrose/Florence/Canon City area since you mention correctional institutions.  I am not real familiar with everything down there, but it might be worth investigating a bit so your boy isnt disappointed if that isnt a legal trail for OHV and you have to travel further to find riding areas.

Please note there is also a PeeWee forum here at ThumperTalk that might be able to provide more insight and recommendations for a bike for your boy.  The 50 cc aircooled trailbikes are probably the right place to start as people recommended above.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/216-peewee/

• Like 2

20 hours ago, William1 said:

I apologize for everyone that made insensitive comments. To be honest, we do get a fair number of people that post once and are never heard from again. Some of the grizzled members get grouchy (I know I do) when they put out effort to help someone only to get the sense of it being a waste of time.

Stay active, keep asking questions and responding to those looking for details to better help you. Once you guys have a bike, have you boy come on to TT and be part of things (with your watchful eye of course). Call on me any time if you need forum help. I have no kids and other finding them fascinating, I know there are others here that went through the process you are going through. Get him all the gear. Boots, gloves, helmet, jersey. Insist they are on every time he rides. Convince him accuracyt is more important than simple speed. tortoise and the hare.

:)

Thank you! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SilvFx said:

Sorry Victoria....I'll take the blame for going down that path.  Totally understand people have a real life beyond the ThumperTalk forum (it's hard to imagine but I am told it is true).  Thanks a lot @Mudd94 for getting me in trouble.  ?

I too am in Colorado and am pretty familiar with most of the riding opportunities in our state -- but certainly not all.  You might just check and confirm that the trails you are seeing are legal for dirtbikes or on private property.  I know that the places to ride near the front range/foothills of CS, Denver and Ft Colllins are pretty limited with Rainbow Falls, Rampart Range, etc.  You might just look at www.staythetrail.org and go to the trailmaps section to look at the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) published by the National Forest Service showing where you are legal to ride OHV (off highway vehicles).  I think the BLM also publishes some maps as well that you can find on that page.

I am guessing you might be down in the Penrose/Florence/Canon City area since you mention correctional institutions.  I am not real familiar with everything down there, but it might be worth investigating a bit so your boy isnt disappointed if that isnt a legal trail for OHV and you have to travel further to find riding areas.

Please note there is also a PeeWee forum here at ThumperTalk that might be able to provide more insight and recommendations for a bike for your boy.  The 50 cc aircooled trailbikes are probably the right place to start as people recommended above.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/216-peewee/

Thank you. I'm actually in the Denver area as well. Correctional facilities everywhere now days. I had no idea about the peewee site so I will definitely check them out. Thank you 

4 hours ago, Victoria Longstrom said:

Thank you. I'm actually in the Denver area as well. Correctional facilities everywhere now days. I had no idea about the peewee site so I will definitely check them out. Thank you 

Interesting you are in Denver Metro.  In that case, I would be willing to bet some of the those dirt bike trails you are seeing are mountain bike trails and/or are not legal for motorized travel.  Likely your closest trail system will the Rampart Range Trail system that is southwest of Sedalia.  There are also some MX riding tracks in Denver (private landowners who charge admission).  Thunder Valley that is near Morrison/C470/I70 and the Watkins MX track on east Jewell (sometimes just called Jewell).  I havent ridden there but I dont think I would recommend Thundervalley as I think that is only an MX track with no special places for beginners to learn to ride (but not certain -- and you want that separation).  My understanding is that Watkins/Jewell has more open space away from the MX track that kids can learn.  My neighbor has also mentioned IMI near Frederick/Erie/Dacono (north of Denver) where he takes his kid.  My kids learned to ride on the OHV legal forest service roads (such as Rollins Pass up near Nederland).

Of course that might be the advantage of a silent electric bike like an Oset with a 5 year old and you can sneak some riding on all the mountain bike tracks that are nearby or just go to a wide open park with lots of grass and open space/fields.  Don't think you could get away with it as an adult but a slow moving kid on an elec bike might keep people from b*tching about it ...maybe.  I think all bets are off when you are talking about a small motorcycle that people can hear riding around a park even if its a 5 year old.

Unfortunately because the foothills right adjacent to Denver are clogged with everyone and their brother deciding they want to hike, bike, ride horses, etc, us motorized users have been pushed further from Denver.  In my mind, the only reason that Rampart Range remains is that this was developed a long time ago.  I was riding motorcycles down there in the 70's (yes 40+ years ago) and I think it was there long before I started.

Good luck with your research.  You are smart to spend some time looking and understanding the market before you jump in.  I have bought and sold all the bikes for my kids  (and myself) from Craigslist and is probably the best source for used bikes at least in Colorado.  Plenty to be found.  Buying during winter and before it gets nice is a big advantage.  All my best bargains were bought between Oct and Feb.

Besides the Yamaha PW50 and the Honda CRF50F (called XR50 prior to CRF50F), there are models such as Yamaha TT-R 50, Suzuki DRZ50 (two stroke version used to be called JR50 and is no longer offered new. This is similar to the same deal with the Yamaha TT-R 50 4 stroke and the Yamaha PW50 2 stroke).  Kawasaki no longer makes a 50 cc trail bikes.  At one time they make a two stroke KDX50 mini trail bike.  Their smallest model is the KLX110 which is probably too big for your little guy but could be a second move up bike.

Note that KTM (a VERY popular european motorcycle brand here in Colorado) also makes small mini bikes, but don't be confused -- these are race bikes that are FAST and NOT for beginners.  Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki still make some smaller two stroke mini bikes in 65/85/100cc for motocross racing.  These are the competitors to the KTM race bikes like and not for beginners.  Examples of the race bike models to avoid are KX65/KX85, YZ85, RM85, KTM 50/65/85 SX and KTM 50 SX Mini.  There is a night and day difference between these race bikes and the mild, aircooled trail bikes that would be a good place for your kid to start on.

Hope we are not overwhelming you and just ask questions if the information becomes confusing.

note:  just checked Craiglist.  I see there are some Oset and even GasGas (euro bike manufacturer) elec bikes for sale at less than I expected.  I also see CRF50's, XR50s, PW50s, TTR50s.  No JR50s or DRZ50s.  Note that when you search CL, try every combination such as CRF50, CRF 50, CRF50F, CRF 50F etc.  I am always amazed how you sometimes get different results.  Many people dont list their bikes well and sometimes the ads arent seen or found because of how they listed the model.

Edited by SilvFx