Sign in to follow this  

Running without hotstart?

Wondering if running with the hotstart cable removed would cause running lean and hanging idle.  PO removed the hotstart cable altogether ... who knows why.

I doubt this would cause a lean run as I think it would have to be installed, but held open to do  so.  I've been wrong before, so ust asking.

Carb is coming off today for clean/rejet if necessary as I suspect the PO failed to rejet after opening the airbox.

Depends on if they plugged the hole, and if it's leaking.   If it's open or leaking, it certainly would cause a lean condition.

A cracked hot start nut (it's plastic) is often a cause of running lean.

Jim.

Thanks Jim.  I'll probably just insert a manual plunger into the hotstart hole and use wifeys fingernail polish to paint the knob red for visual distinction from the choke.  Still there if I need it but 1 less cable on the bars.

Stock choke plunger is a direct fit for the hot start location. It's hard enough to reach that it will be very unlikely you will pull hot start vs choke by mistake. 

Thanks Hurricane.

Didn't get the carb out, but close.  Darned, cursed TPS connector ...  PO left the plastic nut and brass end in place but never siliconed (or otherwise plugged) the hole.  I suspect that may explain the hanging idle.