MotownJG

Stuck (?) Fork tubes? 06 DRZ400S

OK so with the help of this forum I've lowered my DRZ400 and now want to raise the fork tubes, but they don't seem to be cooperating.  All upper & lower pinch bolts and dust cover clamps have been loosened (a lot without taking them entirely out) but they just don't move whether I sit on the bike & bounce it up and down or straddle the front tire & bounce it.  Nothing is physically stopping them below the handlebars (I relocated the ignition switch already).

Did some searching & didn't find anyone with stuck forks,  what am I doing wrong?

OK so with the help of this forum I've lowered my DRZ400 and now want to raise the fork tubes, but they don't seem to be cooperating.  All upper & lower pinch bolts and dust cover clamps have been loosened (a lot without taking them entirely out) but they just don't move whether I sit on the bike & bounce it up and down or straddle the front tire & bounce it.  Nothing is physically stopping them below the handlebars (I relocated the ignition switch already).
Did some searching & didn't find anyone with stuck forks,  what am I doing wrong?
Is bike on a stand or lift, with weight off the wheel?
If not lift bike, try again.

There just stuck a little, loosen the bolts more and stick a bladed screwdriver in the slot, pry a bit to loose. Or with handle bars unbolted you could put a socket on top and tap the tube down a little, then wiggle them up. I sometimes fine it easier to pull the frnt wheel off and do them individually.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Family/work called me away yesterday & I couldn't try your ideas, but I will.

I love this forum.

Next search is for shortening the kickstand/sidestand since I lowered the rest of the bike.  But that's for another day.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Family/work called me away yesterday & I couldn't try your ideas, but I will.

I love this forum.

Next search is for shortening the kickstand/sidestand since I lowered the rest of the bike.  But that's for another day.

Motown, but not in Michigan?

I have everything you needed to lower an 06, as I had one.

I bought an SM kickstand that worked perfectly. When I sold my DRZ, new owner wanted it back to stock level. And didn't want the lower parts.

Well I'd love to buy a DRZ400SM kickstand if it'll work.  I'm in Modesto, California, hence the moniker.

Took Bucketlist's and ohiodrz400sm's advice and tapped the forks down to loosen them, put a screwdriver between the pinch points to open it a little first..  Removed the front wheel and twisted the forks & voila'!  Raised as far up as the handlebars allowed (no bar risers yet).  Exactly what I wanted done got done.

Of course, I had to ride it immediately and see how it ran/felt and promptly ran outta gas.  My fault entirely.  But it fits so much better now and is even more fun to ride.  With gas, of course.

Well I'd love to buy a DRZ400SM kickstand if it'll work.  I'm in Modesto, California, hence the moniker.
Took Bucketlist's and ohiodrz400sm's advice and tapped the forks down to loosen them, put a screwdriver between the pinch points to open it a little first..  Removed the front wheel and twisted the forks & voila'!  Raised as far up as the handlebars allowed (no bar risers yet).  Exactly what I wanted done got done.
Of course, I had to ride it immediately and see how it ran/felt and promptly ran outta gas.  My fault entirely.  But it fits so much better now and is even more fun to ride.  With gas, of course.
There are adjustable kickstands, available too. I guess if you swap dirt/SM wheels they'd be a good choice. You can cut down stock to match how much you lowered.
SM kickstand was perfect for my 2" lowering.

Maybe adjustable is better since I have DOT street/dirt knobbies and also another set of street only rubber I can swap out.  I'll start looking.......   👀