Atolduso

Cam cap bolt doesn't want to go all the way down...

4 hours ago, Erik Marquez said:

It does work.... done it  many times for an odd thread hole I did not have a bottoming tap for at the time...

Its only for clearing dirt, silicone, ect from the hole.. not rehabbing threads.
Suggest you use a grade 8 fastener if you have one, run a grade 8 nut all the way up to the top before cutting the groove wither you use a grade 8 fastener or not (1/16" to 1/8" cut off wheel makes a nice groove., small triangle file works as well) If you have a thread file, run it across the fastener threads before you run the nut down.

Use your home made thread chaser by hand only...feel for the groove to pack up and the chaser to turn harder STOP..back it out now and clean the junk from the groove, use some more light lube in the threaded hole and run the chaser down again. 

You are a bit more meticulous about this than I am, and everything you wrote is a good idea.  I often will put the nut in place prior to cutting the groove so that it is squarely on the threads and I don't have to fiddle with getting it started correctly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barry Ries said:

You are a bit more meticulous about this than I am, and everything you wrote is a good idea.  I often will put the nut in place prior to cutting the groove so that it is squarely on the threads and I don't have to fiddle with getting it started correctly.

Well for me if Im down to having to use a home made thread chaser, I likely have only ONE chance to make it work, making it worse or just not working means a long walk, no finished event or some other deal like that....

22 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Well for me if Im down to having to use a home made thread chaser, I likely have only ONE chance to make it work, making it worse or just not working means a long walk, no finished event or some other deal like that....

I think that getting a good square start when you use it is the most important thing.   (one good thing about being old and having experience its that you know what it feels like when it isn't going down correctly)  If it doesn't start straight it will cause problems no matter how well you prepared it and if it starts out straight it will cover up a lot of sloppy preparation.    And yes proper preparation makes it more likely to start out straight.

Edited by Barry Ries